2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mr Miyagi
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you declare on your insurance that you have limited mileage and they ask for your mileage is there any way of them checking? I know via vosa they need your mot number to check that way but i dont know if they get certain privileges.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
I've wondered this, as what if someone else drives your car etc?
My missus went over her mileage due to a job change and the in-laws made sure she declared it and she upped her mileage...no charge though...

·
Bantersaurus Rex
1,567 Posts
I've never worried about it... not to say that I lie on my insurance on purpose but if I stray over by a few thousand a year I ain't worried!

Plus you could have had new clocks throughout the year or all sorts of things!

·
Mr Miyagi
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies :)

They said that the next mileage bracket will cost me an extra £100 :facepalm:so didnt really want to pay that. Maybe if i go over in the coming year i might just not realise :police:

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
how many miles are you limited to and how many miles does the next bracket cover?

i have 3000,thought it would be enough as i work away but im getting awfully close to it. in the past iv always been asked a figure and not bothered if i went over it but with this insurance i had to sign a limited mileage declaration.

·
Mr Miyagi
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how many miles are you limited to and how many miles does the next bracket cover?

i have 3000,thought it would be enough as i work away but im getting awfully close to it. in the past iv always been asked a figure and not bothered if i went over it but with this insurance i had to sign a limited mileage declaration.
5000 and the next bracket is 7500. I dont know if i will go over as im not going to as many shows this year but its hard to predict. Since last june iv done 6500 miles but with this renewal i too has to sign something. I suppose next year when it comes to renewal and if they say anything you could always say you forgot, im pretty sure they cant trace it as theres no way of it apart from mots and they dont have access to that do they?

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
5000 and the next bracket is 7500. I dont know if i will go over as im not going to as many shows this year but its hard to predict. Since last june iv done 6500 miles but with this renewal i too has to sign something. I suppose next year when it comes to renewal and if they say anything you could always say you forgot, im pretty sure they cant trace it as theres no way of it apart from mots and they dont have access to that do they?
id be happy for another 2500 mile for £100,thing is if i call them and they say something silly like £100 for 500 mile i either pay it or cant drive my car!
its only having signed something thats got me concerned. id say after you sign a legal document saying you forgot might not be good enough! i dont imagine their will be a problem with renewals im more worried if their is an accident and they inspect the car the policy could be void,duno about MOT's :confused:

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
id imagine even if you managed to change the reading on the dash it would still be the same in the ecm's which would be easily checked.
think il give the insurance a phone for a price,probably worrying over nothing.

·
Mr Miyagi
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
id imagine even if you managed to change the reading on the dash it would still be the same in the ecm's which would be easily checked.
think il give the insurance a phone for a price,probably worrying over nothing.
Im sure it would be fine mate. Read the small print first, im sure its just a way of scamming more money out of us

·
Mr Miyagi
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"I understand that should i wish to exceed this stated mileage, i will inform my brokers in advance of doing so and agree to pay the additional premium.

I also understand that failure to comply with this requirement may prejudice and cover granted."

So yes if you go over and do not tell them, and then have an accident you will not be covered.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts