2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 1.6 dtec EX on order, which comes with the HDD audio.

I have a large collection of mp3 and WMA music files that I intend to store on the hard disk.

Question is, can I transfer these via a USB port using a USB stick.
Failing that can I burn to a DVD and transfer that way.

·
Administrator
21,173 Posts
Now the bad news ...........

The only way to put music on the HDD is to 'play' a standard audio CD. Whilst playing it loads it onto the HDD at about 4x

Save yourself the hassle and just load your music onto a USB stick, works far better IMO

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very bad news indeed as the vast majority of my music is in digital only format. I had envisage loading all on to the HDD but looks like I am going to have to invest in a high capacity USB stick - questions the point of having the HDD really! :(

·
Registered
815 Posts
very bad news indeed as the vast majority of my music is in digital only format. I had envisage loading all on to the HDD but looks like I am going to have to invest in a high capacity USB stick - questions the point of having the HDD really! :(

Not a big investment it is. +- 20€ here for an USB stick of 32 Gb.

Success

Greetings,
Dark Flemish

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, I know its not a lot of money - just the principle really. USN stick contains data, HDD stores data, surely it can't be so hard to create a system that transfers data from one to the other. Would be so much tidier is I could have stuck every thing on the HDD and played from there.:worms:

·
Registered
469 Posts
It has more to do with drm concerns of the music industry than the technical capabilities of the system.

·
Administrator
21,173 Posts
I did load quite a few CD's onto the HDD and it does work OK. If Gracenote has your CD listed you can see the track and album info. If not you can enter it manually (a pain).

what I didn't realise until I started playing via the HDD is that at the end of the album it doesn't progress to the next one but starts playing the same one again.
When I'm driving I don't want the distraction of selecting the next one manually.

The USB option however just plays all the content from start to finish, album after album, which is far better.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
I did load quite a few CD's onto the HDD and it does work OK. If Gracenote has your CD listed you can see the track and album info. If not you can enter it manually (a pain).

what I didn't realise until I started playing via the HDD is that at the end of the album it doesn't progress to the next one but starts playing the same one again.
When I'm driving I don't want the distraction of selecting the next one manually.

The USB option however just plays all the content from start to finish, album after album, which is far better.
Kremm

On the audio buttons on the steering wheel Hold down the left or right hand button on your steering wheel and it will move to the next music folder which ever directional button your holding.

·
Administrator
21,173 Posts
Thanks for the info :)

I've now gone back to USB as it performs exactly as I want it to. I'm not fussed about seeing album/track info as I know what I've recorded and I just want to listen to it.

Like others have mentioned, if I could load my MP3's to the HDD and it just played them one after another I'd use it.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Thanks for the info :)

I've now gone back to USB as it performs exactly as I want it to. I'm not fussed about seeing album/track info as I know what I've recorded and I just want to listen to it.

Like others have mentioned, if I could load my MP3's to the HDD and it just played them one after another I'd use it.
As would I but for some reason when loading from an audio CD onto HDD, it doesn't seem to record them in track order as per whats on the CD... this irritates me when I know in my mind the track order of a CD.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
It has more to do with drm concerns of the music industry than the technical capabilities of the system.
+1

As other said. not worth the time and effort. I loaded about 20 CD's (Mainly because I've not got around to getting them in digital format) and gave up.

As per the others, I now have a 32gb USB stick with most of my music/iTunes stuff on... more than enough :)

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
I guess it's not actually a HDD but just 16GB of memory in there with 10GB available for files, but I like others, just moved my 16GB USB drive from my old civic to the new one.

Strangely though, it didn't recognise all of the files like the old Civic, only 255 out of the 1400, turns out it has some kind of limit....so I put them into alphabetical folders.

Puzzles me why my 8th Gen was happy with them all in one folder and the 9th Gen isn't but with the more advanced interface having them in folders has proved useful anyway.

·
Administrator
21,173 Posts
It's a shame the HDD wasn't implemented better. Whilst the whole unit has some new welcome features it could have been a whole lot better with some thought.

Single button for SatNav voice on/off
HDD plays like USB (album after album)
Switch air vents/SatNav position to raise it

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DRM issue is a bit of a cop out really. Surely it's no different from loading mp3's directly on to the hard disk on a computer.

Anyone know the make/model of the premium audio unit? Pretty sure somebody somewhere will have discovered a work round or jailbreak

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Anyone else like having to press OK to the warning info every time they use it?....I do....not all annoying......!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
DRM issue is a bit of a cop out really. Surely it's no different from loading mp3's directly on to the hard disk on a computer.

Anyone know the make/model of the premium audio unit? Pretty sure somebody somewhere will have discovered a work round or jailbreak

I agree, but car makers are so scared of litigation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts