2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone any ideas why my civic is half a inch lower on the drivers side at the rear, the car is completely empty, ive checked below and theres no damage, its a 1.8 type s.

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
If you can, measure the shock absorbers.

Not the height of the complete unit but what's showing piston wise. It could be that's it's been 'pot holed' in the past.

I had that on a Maestro where a fairly severe clonk forced out some of the hydraulic fluid and the car sat wonky till I had the absorber replaced.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i will measure it, u can clearly see the spring on that side under more pressure, could be gas has been knocked out of the shock, its goin to the dealers to get a total overhaul soon, something has broken every week for 2 months since ive got it![smilie=grrrrrr.gif]

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I'd like to say that it is because if our clockwise roundabouts - Honda drop the driver side ride height to keep the car level on right hand bends, a bit like NASCAR.

[smilie=nope.gif]

·
Registered
4 Posts
mine too - take it back!

This is my first post on the forum so be gentle - lots to tell - i've had a 52 1.4 which was rubbish with a gearbox whine and engine rattle from new, and honda had to take it back , followed with an 03 1.6 which is superb, followed by an 07 1.8 which is superb, followed by another 07 1.8 which was rubbish - suspension problems, and now a new 09 1.8 - fingers crossed.

Anyway, the point here is the deflated suspension which is lower on the rear of the driver's side.

Having bought my 07 1.8 SE new in red, we were so delighted with it we wanted another one in black.

So we got an 07 1.8 ES with 12k on it and it quickly developed this problem - together with knocking noises, clanky ride over bumps, all sorts of noise underneath, a very harsh ride, and generally not at all what we got from the fantastic noiseless ride of our other 07 1.8.

The only difference was the good one had the standard 16" alloys and was an SE, and the rubbish one had 17" sedici alloys, was an ES and allegedly the ES has some sort of lowered / tougher / harsher suspension.

Anyway, took it back to Bristol Honda - usual rubbish - 'not seen anything like it before', 'cant find a problem', 'honda technical dont know anything about it / have never seen anything like it' etc etc, but talked to their head mechanic who knew there was a problem.

Then I demonstrated to him that when anyone sat in the abck seat next to the rear drivers side wheel arch, the suspension drops so low that it almost touches the tyre - his faced dropped and he acknowlegded it was a problem that needed sorting (which I think he knew anyway).

Anyway, having had problems with Honda before - the '52 1.4 - we then got a deal on an 09 with 3yrs interest free, and got rid of the one with the dodgy suspension.

Two weeks later, I passsed the very same car on the M4 (to Slough?) being driven by someone looking suspiciously like a Honda employee!.

My reading having had Honda problems before, where they deny all knowledge of and then miraculously cough up on when you point the gun to their head, is that Honda have a problem here and know it.

So my advice for what it is worth is to take it back to Honda - you will get fobbed off and told a right load of rubbish, but if you press and press and press - put everything in writing and copy it to Honda HQ Custoner Care, they will have to sort it. I'm a contract lawyer, so that helps!

If I can be of any other help,. please let me know.

By the way - if anyone sees the the two duffers we've had - a silver 1.4 3door civic WP52 LHY and a black 1.8ES WN07 ZXP - id love to know if the problems got sorted!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
finely got it booked in to get checked out, do honda charge u to get check things even if they are under warranty?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
been parking the car on more level ground and it seems to be level now could it just be, it takes longer of the suspension to settle?

·
Registered
4 Posts
We found it was better in some places where we parked than others, but the acid test is when someone sits over that shocker -if it sinks really low over the tyre, then that's just not right and there's a problem.

We had the right rear shocker replaced by Honda, and it did the job, for a about a week, and then then new one sunk and we were back to square one.

They couldnt work out if it was perhaps an alignment problem with the chassis?

·
Registered
32 Posts
has anyone any ideas why my civic is half a inch lower on the drivers side at the rear, the car is completely empty, ive checked below and theres no damage, its a 1.8 type s.
Hi, mine is the same, I've got 2.2 diesel one.
The dealer said they were ill-fitted but they stayed the same. After they just said to me, it's a commom problem in this Civic :mad:
I'm just waiting for the end of warranty, to change them for ones a little bit lower :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts