2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it has been cold here in Finland over the last couple of weeks, and almost hitting -30 this week in my area, and that is the south!

So the problem, I noticed the other day that my hatch/boot will not open. Locks all working ok so I presumed it was frozen solid (like most of the car). I took it to a heated indoor car park to defrost for a couple of hours but still no joy. I thought I might give manual locking/unlocking a few jiggles to see if anything freed up and noticed that I could not lock or unlock the car with the key any more either.

Anyone come across this? Using the keyfob for locking/unlocking works ok (apart from the hatch/boot of course). :(

And before anyone says it, I did try searching the forums first but could not find anything.

Sorely tempted to leave it as my Alfa will be delivered in a few months, but I need to get my skis in!

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does no-one have any ides? :snow:

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Your problem seems to be the opposite of what is more commonly known here. Most people report the remote locking not working but manual still works. Have you tried starting the car and then locking?? My boot sometimes doesnt fully unlock after one press but after another go it usually unlocks. If you can enter the car, perhaps disconnecting the battery for a while might solve it, BUT make sure your keys are OUT of the ignition or it will wipe it clean and you wil be left with a bigger and costly problem!!

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your problem seems to be the opposite of what is more commonly known here. Most people report the remote locking not working but manual still works. Have you tried starting the car and then locking?? My boot sometimes doesnt fully unlock after one press but after another go it usually unlocks. If you can enter the car, perhaps disconnecting the battery for a while might solve it, BUT make sure your keys are OUT of the ignition or it will wipe it clean and you wil be left with a bigger and costly problem!!
Thanks for the help guys. Was planning on popping into the dealer this week but tried the boot this morning and it opened no problem. We have had very cold temps in the last week as I mentioned, and today it was up to only -9°C, positively balmy after -30°, so I think that a frozen mechanism was to blame. ;)

Got my skis in today and off to the local slopes [smilie=cool.gif]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.