2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before anyone replies in this manner, I'm certain it's within one of the myriad of options available to program out, but ...

UNDERSTOOD, if you unlock, but then don't decide to open a door / enter the vehicle, it will re-lock itself - normally a 60-second delay?
Mine seems to go one better ...
I often drop the wife off at an early-morning cleaning job, and when inside, waiting for her - perhaps up to 3 minutes - I'll not fire-up until she's ready to enter, then we can go - limits noise and costs / consumption.
I've noticed on a few occasions, that should I enter, close my door, then simply wait, I'll get locked in!!
If I push the button to activate the screen / radio, then it's 'happy days' - no problem.

When locked in, not wanting to force things, it appears the lock / unlock lever is deadlocked locked - I unlocked with the fob once, and with the unlock button on the door the other - of 2 - time.

Anybody encountered this?

Got to love modern technology >:) !!

Al.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
as a 9gen keyless start owner, sounds wrong.
car will only start if it detects the keys are within the limits of the doors, and wont lock if it detects keys within that area - 1 detection method for multiple reasons. I vaguely remember reading something along the lines of it doing this to stop the car from locking the keys in the car without you in it.

specifically it will only re-lock if you dont open any/drivers door.

maybe it was in the manual in the keyless system section so might be worth checking that out and then go armed to the dealer to get it sorted. does sound like an issue with mis-detecting the key location.

·
Super Moderator
21,007 Posts
Sounds wrong to me as well. If yiu've opened any door or tailgate it should stay unlocked.

The only scenario I can imagine is if you fully lock the car, you inside, then unlock without opening a door.

·
What ya at
841 Posts
This happened me last week. Key was in the ignition switched off, drivers window opened. I got out of the car to talk to a friend and when I tried the door to get back in, it was locked luckily the drivers window was opened at the time. I won’t be leaving the keys in the car again.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Definitely sounds wrong to me. My 10G is keyless and will refuse to lock if they key is inside the car unless I use the inside physical lock button on the drivers side.

Default re-lock time after unlocking the car is 15s but can be extended in the menus. What you are describing sounds as if the car isn't even detecting you opening your driver side door (sensor malfunction). I doubt the engineers would have programmed the car to not re-lock itself if a key is detected inside in that situation (not physically possible to get it in without opening something)??

Try opening another door next time and see if it does the same. If not, you've narrowed down the problem to your door sensor at least. Although a programming error is not out of the question.

·
4,249 Posts
Just experimented on my 10\G keyless entry/start. I cannot lock the car with either the door button or the other fob with a key inside the car.

I do however get a single flash from the indicators when I press the unlock button on the other fob (outside the car).

·
Earth Dreams :)
927 Posts
Just experimented on my 10\G keyless entry/start. I cannot lock the car with either the door button or the other fob with a key inside the car.

I do however get a single flash from the indicators when I press the unlock button on the other fob (outside the car).
Too many fobs spool the broth?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Before anyone replies in this manner, I'm certain it's within one of the myriad of options available to program out, but ...

UNDERSTOOD, if you unlock, but then don't decide to open a door / enter the vehicle, it will re-lock itself - normally a 60-second delay?
Mine seems to go one better ...
I often drop the wife off at an early-morning cleaning job, and when inside, waiting for her - perhaps up to 3 minutes - I'll not fire-up until she's ready to enter, then we can go - limits noise and costs / consumption.
I've noticed on a few occasions, that should I enter, close my door, then simply wait, I'll get locked in!!
If I push the button to activate the screen / radio, then it's 'happy days' - no problem.

When locked in, not wanting to force things, it appears the lock / unlock lever is deadlocked locked - I unlocked with the fob once, and with the unlock button on the door the other - of 2 - time.

Anybody encountered this?

Got to love modern technology >:) !!

Al.
I'm sure it happens, but 2xHondas=10 years it never happened to me.

Enviado de meu SM-G920I usando Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm thinking it MIGHT be possible, being parked quite close to the partition fence / wall that the driver's door may not be opened wide enough to trigger / activate all sensors - that's possible I suppose.

Another possible is that as I keep the fob in my trousers / shorts pocket, on sitting down, a fold pay have pushed the 'lock' button ...

It's weird, but I'm keeping an eye out in case it happens again.

Al.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
If you open the drivers door no matter how far you open it the activation switch inside the door catch will operate. The next time you open the door just check to see if the interior lights are lit if they are then the activation switch is doing its job.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Last time I locked up I switched off the lights immediately rather than wait for the time.
Next time I entered, fairly certain the interior lights were on, and ... it locked me in - indicators flashed.
I started the engine and it unlocked the door again.

I may be confusing it by being sensible, saving the battery.

Unless something really weird happens, I'll save it until I take the car in for the tow-bar manual replacement recall I've just received - never towed anything in my 40-year-driving-life, but never know!!

Al.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I THINK I may have solved my own problem.
It MIGHT be something I've been doing, but not been able to confirm it yet - waiting for the next opportunity.

It might be that I have entered on the driver's side - thus only driver's door unlocked - and THEN pushed the interior button for the wife to get in ... but she delayed, so it locked again ... MIGHT be that.

Watch this space.

Al.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll check that one out next opportunity I have, but that's what I'm thinking - weird when it happens nevertheless!!

Al.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts