2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I've just bought a 5dr 2006 1.8 ES with a glass roof and am looking to get some roof bars to carry a couple of MTB's. After some searching I found some old posts relating to this and I wondering if anybody has any long term experience carrying bikes on a glass roof? I'm specifically interested in Thule models, whom say you should not use them on a glass roof, any horror stories??

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Hi All

I've just bought a 5dr 2006 1.8 ES with a glass roof and am looking to get some roof bars to carry a couple of MTB's. After some searching I found some old posts relating to this and I wondering if anybody has any long term experience carrying bikes on a glass roof? I'm specifically interested in Thule models, whom say you should not use them on a glass roof, any horror stories??

Thanks in advance for any help!
Atera Signo are usable on the glass roof and are a better quality than Thule in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
They are down rated in terms of weight and require extra clamps that use the door frames for additional support if memory serves correctly but should be just fine for a couple of bikes.
The extra bases is just an option to allow you to carry more weight.

Provided you stay within the recommended weight limits for the bars when fitted on a glass roof, there's no issue with them on the glass roof.

Friends of mine have put several surfboards (foamies) on the roof of mine when they were moving house - 1 board probably weighs more than several bikes, and no issues.

Check with Honda if you like, but I've had Honda bars for nearly 3 years now. They are approved provided you stay within the glass roof weight limit for the bars.

Only issue I've ever experienced was marking of the paint on the roof sills, but that was probably the paint that was too thick in that area due to paint chip respraying. The Honda's have soft rubber "mats" that sit between the bases and the sill and so if they mark, any bar will mark.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts