1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
Silly money for a dash cam when you can get units for under £50 which I the event of a accident will provide enough information

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so seen mixed reviews on the blackvue comments say the numb plates can't be made out off the video and this is a coo on thing people say.
Got £200 to spend on one and looking for the best quality one I can get any views and options on what to go for ?

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Ok so seen mixed reviews on the blackvue comments say the numb plates can't be made out off the video and this is a coo on thing people say.
Got £200 to spend on one and looking for the best quality one I can get any views and options on what to go for ?
Have look here: https://forum.dashcamtalk.com/

Very good forum and may point you in the right direction.

Rick is right.. you can get some very good camera's for a fraction of the Blackvue's price.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Remember that the readability of numberplates doesn't just depend on the sharpness of the video, it also depends on the lens angle; the larger the lens angle the closer the plate needs to be to get a clear shot of it since the scene will be "zoomed out".

The below diagram is for CCTV cameras, but the same principle applies to any camera.

·
Registered
625 Posts
parking mode on cameras are pointless if someone hit you from behind, in most cases this is the case. So your better modding a 360 camera, that moves around with motion dectection. I will be modding one soon. Currently I have the Mobius HD 1080P Action Camera, best camera for the price

·
Dervinator
1,349 Posts
parking mode on cameras are pointless if someone hit you from behind, in most cases this is the case. So your better modding a 360 camera, that moves around with motion dectection. I will be modding one soon. Currently I have the Mobius HD 1080P Action Camera, best camera for the price
My Blackvue has front & rear cameras - GPS & Kinetic sensors

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
parking mode on cameras are pointless if someone hit you from behind, in most cases this is the case. So your better modding a 360 camera, that moves around with motion dectection. [/COLOR][/B], best camera for the price
Interesting... can you give more details?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Interesting... can you give more details?
Sure. I was thinking of a dome camera in the centre of the car. It would require some mods but it be worth it. I been looking at a IP version. So it can connect to any device via internet and also transmit the video straight to your phone live if you want to access it and also it will email or beep when there is a break in. Not only that, when someone close parks up, or comes near, it will instantly move to there direction and record and with Sony sensor 0 lux night vision, it will also record in pitch black in HD crisp without frame stutter. I have all this for my home and most of camera's these days can run on 12v, so I don't see why it can't be modded to the car. Ok the back window of the civic is a bit crap view but I know in a certain position it can work. Any how I will be trying it out soon :)

There maybe a battery power issue but the camera wouldn't activate 24/7, it be in a sleep mode till motion detection kicks in. And there can be external mods or adaptors to handle and rate the power flow so the car battery don't end up flat in the morning

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Sure. I was thinking of a dome camera in the centre of the car. It would require some mods but it be worth it. I been looking at a IP version. So it can connect to any device via internet and also transmit the video straight to your phone live if you want to access it and also it will email or beep when there is a break in. Not only that, when someone close parks up, or comes near, it will instantly move to there direction and record and with Sony sensor 0 lux night vision, it will also record in pitch black in HD crisp without frame stutter. I have all this for my home and most of camera's these days can run on 12v, so I don't see why it can't be modded to the car. Ok the back window of the civic is a bit crap view but I know in a certain position it can work. Any how I will be trying it out soon :)

There maybe a battery power issue but the camera wouldn't activate 24/7, it be in a sleep mode till motion detection kicks in. And there can be external mods or adaptors to handle and rate the power flow so the car battery don't end up flat in the morning
Sounds adventurous but have to say I am extremely sceptical as to the real-world functionality of such a device. Will be very impressed if you are able to pull it off to a reasonable standard.

What kind of sensor(s) are you going to be using for detecting movement, and how does it/they communicate with the sleeping camera?

Am I right in thinking that once motion has been detected, not only does the camera have to wake up and start recording, but it also has to spin round to where the motion is?

May I ask what camera you are using at home, since you said "I have all this for my home"?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Sounds adventurous but have to say I am extremely sceptical as to the real-world functionality of such a device. Will be very impressed if you are able to pull it off to a reasonable standard.

What kind of sensor(s) are you going to be using for detecting movement, and how does it/they communicate with the sleeping camera?

Am I right in thinking that once motion has been detected, not only does the camera have to wake up and start recording, but it also has to spin round to where the motion is?

May I ask what camera you are using at home, since you said "I have all this for my home"?
Well first of all, you will need a 3G GPS, Wifi DVR box that connects to the camera so it can send the live feed video back to any device once the network is setup. Most CCTV cameras have this feature so this isn't a issue. This DVR box can go in the boot. As I have mentioned this is my project and most of the features I have mentioned do exist and to the extreme might need a slight mod but that wont be to hard hopefully. This project is still young and full of different ideas. The camera will only record something when there is an activity going on, but will remain in standby mode till motion is detected, than it will automatically start recording ( No different to sleep mode) Some motion detection cameras on the market already have this feature. I have the Tenvis TH692 and the ZMODO ZP-IBI13-W. At the moment I am buying quite a few cameras and testing them out. The night mode on both of these are amazing, I will upload some pics in a mo. there not Dome cameras but you can get small domes with IP with the same specs for only about £100
I am confident with this project, in my day to day job I repair phones, laptops etc so this isn't a hard project for me, its just a challenging one that I need to plan out more :)

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Well first of all, you will need a 3G GPS, Wifi DVR box that connects to the camera so it can send the live feed video back to any device once the network is setup. Most CCTV cameras have this feature so this isn't a issue. This DVR box can go in the boot. As I have mentioned this is my project and most of the features I have mentioned do exist and to the extreme might need a slight mod but that wont be to hard hopefully. This project is still young and full of different ideas. The camera will only record something when there is an activity going on, but will remain in standby mode till motion is detected, than it will automatically start recording ( No different to sleep mode) Some motion detection cameras on the market already have this feature. I have the Tenvis TH692 and the ZMODO ZP-IBI13-W. At the moment I am buying quite a few cameras and testing them out. The night mode on both of these are amazing, I will upload some pics in a mo. there not Dome cameras but you can get small domes with IP with the same specs for only about £100
I am confident with this project, in my day to day job I repair phones, laptops etc so this isn't a hard project for me, its just a challenging one that I need to plan out more :)
I definitely think you will run into a lot of issues, but that just makes the project even more impressive if you can pull it off.

These are a few that I think you will encounter:

-Camera position - Assuming you are mounting the camera to the inside roof, roughly in the middle, it's not going to capture a lot, if you are lucky you may catch some feet and legs. It's too high up and too far away from the windows. Your video frame is going to be so restrictive since a wide angle lens would just capture the inside of your car. You would need to use a much smaller angle lens to get a full resolution picture (don't want to waste valuable pixels on car interior), but it would be far too "zoomed in".

-Night quality - The IR lights will reflect off the window and cause huge glare, without the IR lights the night quality will be poor depending on the ambient light.

-Detecting motion - You are wanting to detect 360 degree motion and then rotate the camera, which is no easy task. Yes I know you can get controllable CCTV cameras, and yes you can use Arduino, Raspberry Pi etc to run code to control everything, but that doesn't make it much easier. Still intrigued to know what you intend to use to detect motion, since most CCTV cameras use the live video feed for this.

-Missing the action - By the time you have detected motion, and the camera has spun 180 degrees, you will have missed a lot, especially with the view from the camera. The CCTV camera I have always has a few seconds of buffer, so the actual recorded footage includes a few seconds prior to motion being detected. Works great since the camera position is fixed, doesn't work if your camera has to spin round to start recording.

-Power consumption - This is going to be high, no way you can run it off the main car battery, it will definitely require an additional supply. I don't know how low you can get it, but I would guess at least 5W, probably closer to 10W with everything in "sleep" mode. When recording etc that could be 25W or more.

Not trying to put you off the project, since I do think it is interesting. Just trying to point out some of the possible problems before you start so you can plan how to overcome them.

I do wonder if perhaps there is a simpler solution, such as just using two cameras - one facing out the front, and one out the rear.

What is it exactly you are trying to achieve with this project? Perhaps you could give an example scenario?

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Went for a mini 0806 in the end
Really impressed with the camera
After looking into it and the reviewis found a lot of good comments on this camera and was a lot cheaper but not to cheap if you know what I mean
I went for this as I didn't really need the function of connecting to my phone
Got the camera , gps mount , hard wire kit and polarising lense filter all for £155
Also got a Samsung 64gb memory card for £28
The camera quality is excellent and wired in pretty easy.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Went for a mini 0806 in the end
Really impressed with the camera
After looking into it and the reviewis found a lot of good comments on this camera and was a lot cheaper but not to cheap if you know what I mean
I went for this as I didn't really need the function of connecting to my phone
Got the camera , gps mount , hard wire kit and polarising lense filter all for £155
Also got a Samsung 64gb memory card for £28
The camera quality is excellent and wired in pretty easy.
I think the 0806 was a good choice, let us know how reliable it is.

Price sounds a little high though, is that from the UK? Think direct from China with filter is around £80.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea direct from uk seen the 0805 for about that price at least if there is problems it uk base and not having to send back to China worth paying the extra.
Just in te process of making a micro usb - av out so I can connect to my pioneer head unit and view the camera from that screen

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Just in te process of making a micro usb - av out so I can connect to my pioneer head unit and view the camera from that screen
Interesting... Tell us more.

I have the 0801 and it has the 3.5" jack AV out which I feet into my SatNav/iMID

1 - 20 of 22 Posts