2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Looking at buying a 2.2 diesel civic

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Zaheen 
#1 ·
Hey everyone!
I am looking into buying a 2.2 diesel civic and was just wondering if there are any common problems I should be looking for when viewing one of these cars?
Any advice would be great

Cheers

#2 ·
The main issue is around 100K miles the exhaust manifold splits. It's a £600-£1,000 repair job.
Symptoms are:
Diesel fumes smell from the back of the engine when idling or cold starting. Also put the vents so they aren't on recirc, sometimes they let smell in the cabin (MOT failure.)
Hissing / puffing noise around 1500-2000RPM's. Or Turbo noise.
Poor MPG (around a 10MPG loss, you won't know the average MPG if you haven't owned one prior.)

Other problems are weak clutches and DMF. Again £500-800 repair bill.

I personally wouldn't buy one without a mechanic inspection that knows these Honda's. It's easy to get stung on these diesels.

Also as with ANY diesel vehicle, view it on a COLD engine. A hot diesel engine can hide so many issues, even cracked cylinders can be hidden by warming a diesel up. The seller could make up any excuse for it being warm, usually is has a major engine issue that is blatant when the engine is cold.

Also walk around and check all the brakes & pads, check the suspension struts for any fluid leaks as well. Around 110K the struts will be tired and may have one or two leaking, which will require replacement in pairs.

P.S Pretty much EVERY major city in the UK will soon be enrolling congestion charges to their town centres, which will be a daily usage charge. They're specifically concentrating on Euro 4/5 emission vehicles, more so diesels. So the value of all the Euro 4/5 emission diesels is about to drop out of the bottom of them. Knowing this, I won't pay anywhere near the £2,500-£3,000 eBay sellers are asking for the Civic's. Most members on here that have parted with their Gen 8 CDTI Civic's have struggled and had to let them go cheap.

#4 ·
Unless I wanted a Honda diesel for its particular attributes and happy knowing I would 'bite the bullet' if I got stung with the financial consequences of any present or future issues (or I was a competent mechanic happy to do the work myself) I would'nt go through with it. 1.8 petrol's are plentiful, probably the nearest example of bullet proof engineering, and return 45+ on the motorway, around 30-35 about town.

#8 ·
Hey everyone!
I am looking into buying a 2.2 diesel civic and was just wondering if there are any common problems I should be looking for when viewing one of these cars?
Any advice would be great

Cheers
Hey did you get one in the end?

Mine has had the manifold change and also brand new clutch and flywheel and brand new air compressor and this week brand new heater motor which is probably the worse job of them all.

Total cost of the repairs without manifold is £1200+

Manifold wasn't that much IIRC. Maybe like £250-300 all in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.