2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to see a car tonight civic 2.2 type s and have a few questions, help would be great!

Private sale, where is the vin number on the car, pic if possible so i look like i know what im doing :lol:
when i test drive it, what's the best way to see if clutch slips?

car had 3 owner's in 4 years... although could have been a pre reg etc that bad?

its got 4 new tyres, drop links.. this bad.. good? Im paranoid when parting with 9k

any other checks, like how can i tell the condition of brakes?

Ill check oil cap, level.. any other tests?

***** i could compile answers into a used car buying guide for wiki?

thanks... thats what the swear stars said :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
The VIN number is located at the bottom of the windscreen on the passenger side (just above the plastic cowling that holds the washer jets).

The way I check the clutch is to do a few moves forward on the clutch alone (no throttle) and then a few slightly harder starts when the car is warmed up.

The number of owners is not always a bad thing however, it could be a complete Friday car for all you know so really check it out properly, let the engine tick over and listen to it. Best advice would be to take somebody with you who is a little more mechanically minded if possible ;)

Good luck and let is know how you get on :popcorn2:

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, ill do the checks you stated on clutch, ill also floor it once warm, tbh i would do that anyway fastest car iv hads 90bhp :lol:

·
Twisted by the Dark side
1,278 Posts
give it some beans at 2k to 2.5k revs 6th gear preferably on a hill to test the clutch. if it doesnt slip doesnt mean it wont do it next time. if it slips the revs will suddenly jump up and the car will stop pulling for a few seconds.
go over sum speed humps and listen for the shockers squeeking. common problem
the oem brakes are toss fact. consider upgrading when need changing.

what year is it? does it service history? MOT?
check the oil level and other fliuds. if its been well maintained these should be well topped up also check the air filter to see what condition its in.
and haggle when selling a car people usually have a figure they are happy to sell for.

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
what year is it? does it service history? MOT?
+1

Also, what's the milage on the car? Any tax left on it? Any extras? Satnav, alloys etc?

9k seems a tad much to me for a 4 year old civ from a private seller. Unless the miles are low and it's in immaculate condition.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Full service history, 3 months mot, colour coded, rear spoiler and fn2 wheels, 35k miles 6months tax. Mate at a garage says trade ins 7.6k so 8.5k tops for it.

Also gonna ask for a years mot, sound ok? Saves me buying spoiler and colour coding so dont mind paying a tad more if its mint

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
Ah, that's not too bad then. Always worth haggling though, hopefully get the price down a bit and get the MOT thrown in :D

Do you know if the clutch has been changed? The orignal clutches were made of chocolate and generally went around the 30k miles mark, if not sooner.

There's a good chance it has been on a car of that age and milage but worht double checking.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
will check about clutch, hopefully it lasts a year so ill have plenty of funds for a upgraded one and map :D

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
You have to ask the owner, has it had any bodywork done, are there any mechanical or electrical faults ,etc. Good to get the owner to sign a written statement which states the condition of the car to the best of his knowledge. Spend as long as you need to thoroughly check it over.

·
I drive my Mistress...
874 Posts
Also check bonnet and front wings for excessive road dings. def see proof of service history. good luck and let us know how you get on mate!

p.s. look into FMIC as a good addition along with a :civinfo: sticker if you buy it!

·
Dr. Evil
3,831 Posts
4 years old, so 07/57 plate? Seems steep.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thought I let you all know Im officially part of the Honda crowd :D was mint! Minimal stone chips, 2 I could see untill I clay it etc today :lol: clutch holding strong... Just now lol got it for 8.5, with fn2 mint wheels and brand new rubber all round, no creaks, no dash rattles :O (just now lol) will post pics once I finish work as it's sunny! No mods untill payday.. 36pence left lol.. P.s. I love it!!!!!

Reactions: JohnnyBoy

·
Twisted by the Dark side
1,278 Posts
sounds great, need pics.

and welcome to the world of the honda civic, hope you have deep pockets:p

·
SGP Fk8
9,725 Posts
Nice one ! Get that :civinfo: sticker on so I can start looking for you

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Glad to hear the car was a good un. Post pics when you can. Welcome to the world of the Civic - enjoy :cool:

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice one ! Get that :civinfo: sticker on so I can start looking for you
Will do, where do you get them though?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts