2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I am new to the forum.Im looking into buying a FN2 in the next few months.Would do I look out for when buying these cars..any potential problems I might get myself into..My concern is engine and gearbox..I use to drive a ek vti a few years ago and it was bullet proof would this apply to the FN2 as well..only asking because all the negativity is making me doubtful..advice please
Thanks guys

·
Whistlin' on a Tuesday...
1,168 Posts
What negativity?
The FN2 is a great car and is far more dependable and robust than any of its peers.

It's only the ride which isn't exactly soft!!

Go for it, but read the wiki first:-

Main Page - Civinfo Wiki

.....and welcome to the forum. Check out some owners' FN2s for sale. ..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3rd gear issues..also im seeing low mileage fn2 65k-80 going around £5000 up..its that about right or is it rubbish that I shouldn't even consider buying.its alot of car for the money.

·
Whistlin' on a Tuesday...
1,168 Posts
3rd gear issues..also im seeing low mileage fn2 65k-80 going around £5000 up..its that about right or is it rubbish that I shouldn't even consider buying.its alot of car for the money.
Check the wiki re: the 3rd gear issue. Quite often, this was fixed by Honda free of charge so the majority will have had it sorted.

Here are some cars for sale. As for price, the higher the mileage and older the car, the cheaper they are. But they take the miles quite well so you can still get an older Fn2 with a few miles in good nick. Here are some cars for sale on this site, and they will all have been loved:-

Cars for sale - Civinfo

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
That price is about right. Make sure you are looking at GT cars though and always do a HPI as alot of written off cars about now or undeclared damaged ones. I have an 07 car and 3rd gear is no problem with 84k on the car so far.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guy very helpful.Your feed back is just what I needed to confirm what I already knew.feel reassured.I will definitely be getting on by June..need to get my car through an MOT and sell..but you will know when I have it cause I will post some pics..

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Goodluck pal. As someone in your position a few months back, I can assure you that I am 100% satisfied with buying one, 4 months on!
Just to add, I think the 2008+ onwards models don't report the gear issues as often, but I could be wrong, which was my reasoning in getting one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
What is the sound system like is the stock good enough..im past the phase of subs and amps..but if the stock sound is genuinely crap then I might have to upgrade it..ive noticed the coilovers are expensive for the fn2 is springs something to consider
On my ek I went coilovers and it was slammed..my tyres had constant uneven wear..how can I avoid this..also what is a safe drop to go by for springs without any other modifications on the fn2

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will do when I get to figure out how this forum works mate..new to forum new to the FN2...so im just messing around to get the hang of it...but I had some postive feed back so im happy to go ahead and get myself one..took me long to take onto the fn2 wasnt very fond of the ass...but starting to like.a drop will give it just the right look..thanks gents

·
Premium Member
554 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks mate...that head unit sits just right..im inlove with the fn2 all of a sudden..im.going to be a copy cat and get the exact same setup

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
I've had my fn2 for 2 years now, all in all, I'm still very pleased with it, few niggly things which has bugged me, are cheap interior materials and build, probably due to the hard ride, the interior can rattle/creak badly! I've had various issues such as glove box, dash doesn't seem solid, and a awful rattle behind drivers head, possibly headlining or B pillar, but seems to have stopped for the winter, it's just when it's warm outside this does it so a strange one.

Paintwork is thin, so plenty of stone chips.

Sound system in my opinion is fine, but I don't play loud music, with the windows down and my arm hanging out. I prefer to hear the engine!! :D

The ride is hard, I've heard eibach springs will help a little with the crashiness.

Though these sound like a few negatives, this is purely my opinion, the engine is great, I've not heard of one major engine problem yet. VTEC is awesomely addictive and is such a fun car to drive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I owned loads of hondas before..but stepped away just to try something else..which I did currently driving an s3 8l everytime I get into it a pray that nothing goys wrong..even tho there is no signs of potential problems..Ive never been confident with VW and the entire group....I was always relaxed had alot of peace of mind in hondas..never had any worries of engines blowing ..its always small silly things that go wrong..more wear and tear than anything else..I just want to get rid of this S3 so I can come back to Honda..im more confident than ever in this FN2 now..so excited ive been searching for subtle mods...

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Cant recommend one enough! Engine and gearbox feel solid, never burn any oil unlike my old polo gti 6r! Im on my second now as i crashed not long ago. Buying another car didnt even cross my mind when I knew I could get insured again on an fn2.

Yarters, a member on here is almost on 80k miles i believe, his is turbo'd and used as a daily! So engines are more than happy running around 200bhp for how many thousands of miles :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts