2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a little advice and maybe some convincing persuasion to get my wallet out!

I've found a 56 plate Civic 2.2 CDTI Sport with 68k miles on the clock for £6895. I took it for a test drive and fell in love with it as quick as it took me to get to 60mph. I have a 90 mile round commute to and from work so I spend over two hours each day sat in my car and I'm getting tired with the lack of reliability of my current motor and found the Honda a nice place to sit for those two hours each day.

Is there anything particular I should look out for? I have heard about the clutch problems and didn't notice any slipping (I booted it in third going up a gradient). Was this a Honda recall that Honda could confirm whether or not the work has been done? I also know from the Accord's that the exhaust manifold had an issue with cracking. Is this also the case with the Civic?

The car has service history but not all by the dealer. Price seems a bit steep too but I'm working on the dealer and it does come with a two year warranty.

Any advice?

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
That's not a terrible price mate, just knock it down a bit so you get a better deal :)

The clutch wasn't a re-call, if it's not slipping that's good!

The manifold issues seem to be accord only, i've not heard of any civic's with mani issues matey

Reactions: sirkuk

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's not a terrible price mate, just knock it down a bit so you get a better deal :)

The clutch wasn't a re-call, if it's not slipping that's good!

The manifold issues seem to be accord only, i've not heard of any civic's with mani issues matey

Cheers [smilie=gt-happyup.:

What are the servicing and repair costs like with the Civic with an independent garage? I know it's going to be a leap from the Ford :)() I have at the moment but I like to avoid unnecessary spending as much as anyone else. The Ford I currently have was bought for it's economy but what I save on fuel goes towards repairs!

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
In complete honesty... the civics are a lottery!

Some have endless issues some are perfect!
The same can be said from any model and any manufacturer though :p

If it's a 56 reg and it's in good nic with good history etc you should *touchwood* be fine :rolleyes:
Any issues, I imagine, would have been dealt with by previous owners etc.

Mines a 56 reg and *touchwood* other than the odd dash rattle and naff boot struts it's been a pleasure :D a LOVELY place to sit!
I actually wish my commute was longer sometimes...

As for servicing, just the usual, there's nothing fancy that costs a fortune every X amount of miles
Stay clear of the dealers if you don't want to be stung haha

Repairs; parts are generally cheap to be honest, once again, stay away from dealers and their insane labour rates haha

Scott

Reactions: sirkuk

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In complete honesty... the civics are a lottery!

Some have endless issues some are perfect!
The same can be said from any model and any manufacturer though :p

If it's a 56 reg and it's in good nic with good history etc you should *touchwood* be fine :rolleyes:
Any issues, I imagine, would have been dealt with by previous owners etc.

Mines a 56 reg and *touchwood* other than the odd dash rattle and naff boot struts it's been a pleasure :D a LOVELY place to sit!
I actually wish my commute was longer sometimes...

As for servicing, just the usual, there's nothing fancy that costs a fortune every X amount of miles
Stay clear of the dealers if you don't want to be stung haha

Repairs; parts are generally cheap to be honest, once again, stay away from dealers and their insane labour rates haha

Scott

Much appreciated [smilie=gt-happyup.:

Car comes with a third party two year warranty anyway so that's piece of mind. My only concern then would be the clutch being the most expensive and common wear and tear part but I might just have to bite the bullet with that! I may go have another look and test drive of the car tomorrow and go through the history. Must admit that I've never spent much more than £3k for a car before though :(

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
4th gear; nice and slow, low down in the rev range, then put your foot to the floor, if the clutch is slipping it'll rev without accerating

If it's pull like it should you're good to go :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd talked myself out of buying the Civic first thing this morning because I thought it was too much money and decided to take a look at some slightly cheaper cars. So tried a Corolla and Golf out today. They just both highlighted how outstanding the engine is in the Civic. Time to do some severe haggling!

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'd talked myself out of buying the Civic first thing this morning because I thought it was too much money and decided to take a look at some slightly cheaper cars. So tried a Corolla and Golf out today. They just both highlighted how outstanding the engine is in the Civic. Time to do some severe haggling!
Go for it. I still love my CDTI Sport after three years. The engine is outstanding.

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Used to be a Golf owner myself (had MK4, but drove mum's MK5 also).

Nothing compares to the Civic. :) You won't be disapointed.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I'm now the proud owner of a 2.2 CDTi Sport :)

I collect it in a couple weeks time. I got it for £6500 in the end with MOT, service, valet and two year warranty :D I probably could have got one for less if I'd shopped around a little more but the used car dealer I went through inspired a little more confidence than some of the other used car dealers I visited. One I visited on the weekend had a beautiful Accord with all the optional extras sat on the forecourt with the oil level below the min mark :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.