2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people
i need some help, my 09 civic type s has gradually lost MPG over the last month or so, ever since i got it back from a full service and mot,
i drive low miles to work and back but i would still be getting high 40s and higher dependant on how i drove, and then on longer trips it would go up to 60+, but now i cant brake 43 mpg, and it keeps falling,
it now seems to be getting worse quicker,
if anyone has any ideas about where i need to look i would very much appreciate it.
as i dont have any manual for the car and i park on a public road i need to know exactly where to look before i go tinkering.

thanks in advance.

J

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
6,223 Posts

"2.2 Diesel cars

The 2.2 diesel takes a while to run in. Over the first 1,000 miles the car will be thirsty and rattly, but this will improve with use. It may not be fully economical or smooth until 25,000 miles or so.
The diesel is thirsty when cold - it can take up to 20 miles to get fully warmed up. This will take longer in winter than in summer, so the car will appear thirstier in winter.
The MPG gauge on the onboard computer can over-read by 3 mpg or so."

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,913 Posts
The UK has been on winter diesel since mid-Nov, that always seems to cost me a couple of MPG.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive had the car for nearly three years. It has 66000 on the clock. Also Never lost mpg because of winter or summer fuels.
Its suddenly dropped off.

·
Whistlin' on a Tuesday...
1,168 Posts
What oil and oil filter and air filter were used?
If it was done at a franchised Honda dealership, they would only be using genuine Honda parts, but if the full service was done elsewhere there is the possibility they may have used non-genuine parts.

Please confirm. Ta.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im guessing not honda parts as it was a normal garage near by. Heard bad things about the honda dealer near me. But, didnt think that, that would create such a difference. Was thinking that maybe the fuel filter could be a culprit.....

·
Premium Member
13,427 Posts
Check tyre pressures first and foremost.

Also grade of oil, heavier viscosity will rob some MPG.

And lastly, colder ambient temperatures means more air (oxygen) in the mixture and therefore more fuel required, as a side note if your air filter was particularly filthy a new one if fitted will amplify this effect of more air so more fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tyres are fine. Redid them quite soon after. Oil...i might change to decent stuff. Suppose i need to find out what they used. Like i mentioned ive had the car through two winters already
Never lost this much mpg. What worries me is that even on long journeys it doesnt move like it used to. Plus it does feel that at speed my acceleration is not thw same. It feels slightly sluggish on pickup.

·
Premium Member
13,427 Posts
Tyres are fine. Redid them quite soon after. Oil...i might change to decent stuff. Suppose i need to find out what they used. Like i mentioned ive had the car through two winters already
Never lost this much mpg. What worries me is that even on long journeys it doesnt move like it used to. Plus it does feel that at speed my acceleration is not thw same. It feels slightly sluggish on pickup.

Diesels can feel more flat over time, a few reasons such as turbo losing efficiency and lots of carbon build up in head and manifold etc however what you are describing seems to be a quick change so something must have altered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I used to live 2 miles from work. Engine never got warmed up. Very best I would get was 33-35 mpg - feathering throttle, etc.
Now, I live 5+ miles away, engine just about gets warm, and I'm on 43+ mpg.
When I do motorway runs, if longer, it will edge over 50 mpg at 75mph.

Point is, I've had this since new, its been on a mix of shorter urban and longer motorway runs - nice mix - but personally I've never seen mine go over 55 mpg.
If you were regularly seeing 60+ mpg on a Mk.8, I might be wrong, but the trip might not have been working properly .... if that's possible.

Al.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I just had a service done yesterday myself...

• Crosland Fuel Filter
  • Mann Oil Filter
  • Castrol Engine OilEdge 0W-30 With Titanium FST Fully Synthetic
  • Elring Sump Plug Washer / Seal
  • Mann Air Filter

My problem since yesterday is I've lost like half a tank of Diesel and I've only done about 30 miles.

What's up?

·
Premium Member
133 Posts

• Crosland Fuel Filter
  • Mann Oil Filter
  • Mann Air Filter

My problem since yesterday is I've lost like half a tank of Diesel and I've only done about 30 miles.

What's up?
doubt if you could lose that ammount of fuel through the system/ engine in 30 miles without noticing something obvious (loads of smoke/unburnt fuel out of exhaust) and engine running like a sack of poo!

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I'd check for pools underneath, or signs of siphoning off - 30 miles and half a tank is crazy.
Perhaps try filling up and seeing if its really half a tank - perhaps a bad contact somewhere / fuel sensor?

Al.

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
6,223 Posts

• Crosland Fuel Filter
  • Mann Oil Filter
  • Mann Air Filter

What's up?
Fuel filter not fitted / fitting correctly ?

How much fuel do you have left today, if any ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I havent quite lost that much fuel. But ive def lost about 100+miles from my tank. Think going to change out oil. Fuel filter and oil filter see what that does.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,913 Posts

• Crosland Fuel Filter
  • Mann Oil Filter
  • Mann Air Filter

What's up?
Crosland fuel filters have previously caused running problems. But I don't see how that would cause you to use half a tank of fuel in 30 miles... there must surely be a fuel leak?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts