2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CTR still has the factory tyres (3 years and 18K miles done since new) and sufficient tread depth on all four of them on inspection...

Thing is though, lately I've been experiencing more wheel spin than normal -
first thoughts are that the cold weather is to blame, given I'm running 'summer' tyres in winter...

However, could this wheel spin issue be down to tyre compound degradation given their age?

How long do other CTR owners keep their tyres? I've always tended to replace before legal limits on my other less powerful cars to date...

Any advice appreciated,

K

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
My Potenza's had barely any grip before I fitted Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric's, these have wayyyyyyyy more grip. Guess the Potenza's dont like the cold.

·
On the sofa
255 Posts
I had similar age and mileage Potenzas on my CTR when I bought the car and the rubber was starting to crack between the treads. Grip was poor and they were rock hard. I think even in good nick they need quite a bit of heat in them to get them to grip well.

Goodyears are the way forward - fantastic in the dry, and nearly as good in the wet too with a better ride as a bonus.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Summer tyres start to drop off at 7 degrees C.

The older the tyre the harder it will be in low temps, thus exaggerating the loss of grip.

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Check the tyres, I was looking at a set at the wekend on a members car and they had visible signs of cracking and degradation

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
I replaced all the tyres on mine as they were useless when the car was about 3years old and done about 12k miles. There was still plenty of tread left but they were very hard and were starting to crack really badly.

It is also worth noting that the tyres might be considerably older than when the car was registered, mine were nearly a year older.

Here's how to check.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

·
Tarmacadam Terror
5,666 Posts
I've got 2 month old potenzas on, was spinning in third going up a hill last night, vsa cut in. I find Below 8 degrees they are shocking, below freezing they are like concrete until They've warmed up.

Sent via NecronomiPhon

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
I've had my car for 3 years 5 months from brand new now. Still on the first set of tyres and I've noticed I get wheel spin during cold weather + cold tyres but that's only if I've been a little bit too hard on the gas peddle whilst pulling out onto a dual carriage way. Just drive carefully :) I've done about 28000 miles and maybe have around 4-5mm tread left on all 4 wheels.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers for the responses everyone...

I've not noticed any cracking of the tyre rubber at all, thankfully...

Driving situation that made me question the grip was going round a bend hitting V-tec in third gear onto the city bypass...I usually don't give her the beans on that corner, but expected better from the tyres...an LSD would have helped out no doubt! To those that say an LSD is only if you do track days, I urge you to reconsider in light of my experiences...

Potenzas in summer are brill, no problem with them at all, stick like glue to the road...There's some mileage left in them, but from what I've read on the forum, I will be giving the Goodyear Eagles a try, though I have heard they 'flex' more than the Potenzas without the stiff sidewall...

K

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts

Driving situation that made me question the grip was going round a bend hitting V-tec in third gear onto the city bypass...I usually don't give her the beans on that corner, but expected better from the tyres...an LSD would have helped out no doubt! To those that say an LSD is only if you do track days, I urge you to reconsider in light of my experiences...

Potenzas in summer are brill, no problem with them at all, stick like glue to the road...There's some mileage left in them, but from what I've read on the forum, I will be giving the Goodyear Eagles a try, though I have heard they 'flex' more than the Potenzas without the stiff sidewall...

K
Get the XL version of the GY Eagles if you want to keep the wall stiff.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts

K
There's also reports of the goodyear eagles wearing out really fast as well but if changing tyres every so often is not a problem you should give it a go :D

·
#darkside
2,237 Posts
Have you considered the Michelin Pilot Super Sports? Very long wearing and exceptional grip all round. Winning a lot of reviews at the moment and beating the tyres your mentioning above. Purchased a set for myself and the difference is night and day over RE050A

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Morning

For what it's worth, I had the same issue with mine when I first got it. The Potenza's are a good tyre in the summer but I really didn't have confidence in them when the temperature dropped and also experienced a lot of wheelspin.

They are not as hard wearing and perhaps not such a good all round tyres but I have fitted Toyo Proxes T1 and have been pretty pleased with them.

However as the other guys said, if your car is a daily driver than worthwhile going for a more premium tyre.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Seems strange that Honda should fit a summer tyre to new cars in this country - summer only lasts two weeks after all.

I have Michelin PS2's on the Porsche and they are incredible. I never rated the Potenza's on the Civic in summer either, always scrabbling for grip. The Goodyear's have gripped better on the cold, greasy roads today than the Potenza's ever did on my car in Summer - Goodyear's have been a definite performance upgrade.

·
UKDM
779 Posts
Just drive carefully :) I've done about 28000 miles and maybe have around 4-5mm tread left on all 4 wheels.
You have managed 28k out of a set of tyres on a type r and they are only half worn???

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
From my experience 2 points about Bridgestone RE50A tyre :

a) From 250HP+ this tire cannot transmit power to a road (wheel spinning)
b) this tire after 2-3 seasons needs to be replaced probably due to degradation of rubber compound.
c) It's quite hard compound so a little bit colder/rain you got wheel spin as well

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
From my experience 2 points about Bridgestone RE50A tyre :

a) From 250HP+ this tire cannot transmit power to a road (wheel spinning)
b) this tire after 2-3 seasons needs to be replaced probably due to degradation of rubber compound.
c) It's quite hard compound so a little bit colder/rain you got wheel spin as well
So very true. I really wouldn't bother with these tyres on standard bhp nevermind 250bhp+! I think they take too long to heat up and wear very quick. Both my front and even OSR RE50 started to crack within 4k miles of mild abuse.

Only good thing I can say is the tread pattern 'looks' nice and the reinforced side wall does a good job of protecting the alloy from kerbs.
I await more tyre recommendations from members!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts