2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all hope you are all doing well. I have a 56 plate honda civic i-ctdi which is giving an intermittent problem with power. Sometimes there is almost like a judder as if the car is going to stall. It mostly happens when in fourth gear when driving easily at 1500rpm. It only occurs on very light throttle at low speeds, it's like a misfire or a flat spot on acceleration. Vehicle has turned over 85000 miles and just had its service 3 months ago.

There is also a flat spot or delay when re appling accelerator after changing up. No engine management light!

Can anyone help me out? Thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi all hope you are all doing well. I have a 56 plate honda civic i-ctdi which is giving an intermittent problem with power. Sometimes there is almost like a judder as if the car is going to stall. It mostly happens when in fourth gear when driving easily at 1500rpm. It only occurs on very light throttle at low speeds, it's like a misfire or a flat spot on acceleration. Vehicle has turned over 85000 miles and just had its service 3 months ago.

There is also a flat spot or delay when re appling accelerator after changing up. No engine management light!

Can anyone help me out? Thanks
EGR valve blocked maybe?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it was plugged 3 months ago during its service (no engine management light) and it turned out a crank shaft sensor diagnostic... still no lights on dash :/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi All,

I had a very similar problem, mine turned out to be a badly blocked EGR.

Few things I found to check before spending money were:

1. Clean MAP Sensor
2. Clean MAF Sensor
3. Clean EGR Valve
4. Ensure all service parts (Air, Oil, Fuel Filters) were all genuine Honda

Since cleaning out the EGR the cars been running better then i first got it - but recently has developed a similar fault again, so has not completely gone yet.

The issue occurs when the car has warmed up, after 20 mins or so - it seems to lose power, no response from accelerator and the car judders and eventually stalls as if it is being starved of fuel or air. Had it happen a couple of times once in 4th gear, at about 40mph (approx 1500 rpm) and another instance in 2nd/3rd at around the same rpm. Driving at higher revs seems to be fine and you don't experience the problem.

No error codes on the ODB reader :( either.

I have unplugged the Frequency solenoid valve also (not sure if this is a good idea, but car seems to be alot more responsive :D), so that the butterfly valve to the egr does not open once the car warms up to rule out the EGR and the issue is still there.

I'm running some forte diesel cleaner through it at the moment but has not had much affect. Planning on checking the fuel filter again and cleaning the sensors again, but am thinking either my MAF sensor is faulty or i have an air leak in the fuel lines. Fuel economy has not been affected so not sure if it is that. I have also checked the fuel primer and am able to squeeze it - even though it is relatively stiff, but squeezing does not seem to make it stiffer - just makes my hand tired :D.

Does any one know is this is clutch related - car is at 102K, think it does have a slight clutch slip and a squeaky clutch pedal but operates fine, but did get hard once all of a sudden and felt like it did not retract when pressed - but seems ok since.

Not heard about the crank shaft sensor - will look into that.

Other things on my list, which i have read about here are:

Manifold cracked (hope not)
Turbo pipes lose - does anyone know where these are?
Blocked injectors - hoping the forte cleaner would have helped

Heres a link to my original post - hope some of this info helps
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/bugs-faults-irritations/49208-honda-civic-2-2-stops-help.html#post1746582

Thanks in advance

1 - 8 of 8 Posts