2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Civic 2.2 Diesel SGT bought in Sept 08. Earlier this year, the check oil level indicator came on. As I was close to the dealer, I went in there. They topped the car and did an "oil" software update download.

I noticed that there was a drop in performance especially at top speed (it seems that you now have to rev higher for the same speed). Took the car back to the dealer; technician did a test drive and agreed with me. Checked whether there was any other download updates but there was no additional updates. Suggested to let them have the car for a day.

The car was booked for a whole day. I was told the fault is a solenoid near the turbo. This will be replaced next week. We shall see if it works.

Anyway, has anyone experienced this problem? Does their diagnostic and solution sound reasonable?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Loss of Power on 2.2 Diesel (Sept 08, Civic)

Hi everyone

thanks fo those who initially responded to my mail.

After a few months of investigations and trials, the problem is - I think - solved. I thought that it would good to share my learning in this forum:

1. Initially, problem was traced to a faulty solenoid on the turbo. This was fixed.
  2. However, the problem did not disappear completely so took it to another dealer who had the car for the day. They did all of the diagnostics and talked to Honda. The car passed all the tests; however they agreed there was still a residual problem.
  3. They thought that the problem might be due to a "dirty" fuel which my have had an impact on the injection. So I was told to run the tank empty; then fill it with Shell V Power fuel (expensive variant); run the tank low and bring it back to the dealer.
  4. I did the above; and the dealer simply put into the tank a diesel fuel additive (Texaco brand) and suggested that I should do that every 12000 or 25000 miles. Then I filled up to allow for the cleaner to mix properly
  5. The problem was solved and the car was back to its original performance. Since then; the fuel consuption also improved dramatically
  6. I have talked to an "expert" who actually traced the problem to the fact that on a several occasions; the car was allowed to continue running until well after the fuel gauge light came on. This is a BAD practice and was advised to fill up up before tank is quite low.
Hope that helps other drivers

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
I have talked to an "expert" who actually traced the problem to the fact that on a several occasions; the car was allowed to continue running until well after the fuel gauge light came on. This is a BAD practice and was advised to fill up up before tank is quite low.
Does this apply to both diesel and petrol engines?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts