2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening!

I'm brand new but I've been searching for an answer to a problem I've got with my beloved Honda Civic. I've been over the forum and can't quite find the same issue so forgive me this first info seeking post (v ride I know, but I'm desperate!)

Car: Honda Civic
Reg: 55
Diesel
2.2 CTdI
5 door hatchback

It's got full service history etc and been brilliant until recently.

I switch it on it drives just fine for a few miles then after a random number of miles (between 4 and 6) it just loses power. I am usually doing around 30mph, steady, not changing gear. Then the revs just die. They get stuck at just over 1,000 rpm. No amount of repressing the accelerator will bring the revs up. I can change up or down the gears and that changes the revs a bit but gradually the car just slows until I can't move it. I can't rev it, I can't make a difference switching gears, it just slows to a stop. I can leave it a bit and restart but I can't get much past 5-6 mph then after a while power returns randomly (this could be 20 mins and it still juddery but I start to get speed back).

I get no dashboard warning lights at all. It will start. The engine turns, it just won't go.

Honda have seen it and can't replicate the fault (not sure why, it's happened to me every day for the last fortnight).

Initially, they considered slipping clutch but ruled it out.

They considered new injector seals for a misfire and a new fuel filter. I have had this done. If anything it's worse.

Nothing is showing in the diagnostics.

I've broken down again (Honda can't take it to look at again til April 8th) another garage can't see anything wrong with it.

I am at a loss as to what to do! Is there anything either garage may have overlooked? Is there anything I can check? I basically can't drive it!

Thank you for your time reading this! Any questions I'll do my best to answer, any advice much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Good evening!

I'm brand new but I've been searching for an answer to a problem I've got with my beloved Honda Civic. I've been over the forum and can't quite find the same issue so forgive me this first info seeking post (v ride I know, but I'm desperate!)

Diesel
2.2 CTdI
5 door hatchback

I switch it on it drives just fine for a few miles then after a random number of miles (between 4 and 6) it just loses power. I am usually doing around 30mph, steady, not changing gear. Then the revs just die. They get stuck at just over 1,000 rpm. No amount of repressing the accelerator will bring the revs up. I can change up or down the gears and that changes the revs a bit but gradually the car just slows until I can't move it. I can't rev it, I can't make a difference switching gears, it just slows to a stop. I can leave it a bit and restart but I can't get much past 5-6 mph then after a while power returns randomly (this could be 20 mins and it still juddery but I start to get speed back).

I get no dashboard warning lights at all. It will start. The engine turns, it just won't go.

Honda have seen it and can't replicate the fault (not sure why, it's happened to me every day for the last fortnight).

They considered new injector seals for a misfire and a new fuel filter. I have had this done. If anything it's worse.

I've broken down again (Honda can't take it to look at again til April 8th) another garage can't see anything wrong with it.

I am at a loss as to what to do! Is there anything either garage may have overlooked? Is there anything I can check? I basically can't drive it!

Thank you for your time reading this! Any questions I'll do my best to answer, any advice much appreciated.
wonder what errors youd get with a obd2 reader
could be a number of things. doubt it would be clutch as it would rev and you wouldnt move or not move in accordance the the revs you are seeing.
could me an issue with a sensor or maybe even a completely blocked egr valve.
with a car your age its worth getting the egr cleaned if you havent had it done (there are guides on the forum and its pretty quick and easy to do just make sure you buy the gaskets first)
really though its odd it cannot be replicated. maybe take them out in it?

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,896 Posts
My first thought is that the throttle position sensor (TPS) is playing up. This can be ruled out if the car always works OK while on cruise control (as the TPS isn't used while on cruise control). However, the previous advice regarding looking for stored OBD2 error codes is good as the ECU will store them indefinitely.

It is disappointing that even a Honda garage couldn't find the fault, do you know if they actually connected up a Honda Diagnostic System? This sets certain operating parameters and then assesses the engines operational response to this... usually any weaknesses are then found. Crucially, however, it does not test the TPS.

IF it works OK on cruise control then I'd strip and clean the TPS with an electrical spray cleaner (WD40, at a push). The TPS is located above the throttle pedal. I've never played with one on a Civic, but you may be able to poke the spray nozzle into an opening without removing the TPS? Maybe do a forum search for more advice on this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you!

After posting this a few relevant threads popped up underneath (I did search first honest!) and I found the EGR one. Sounds v similar so will do this thank you rastaman-fb.

As for why not replicating I think it's because they are only taking the car round the block, yesterday the first 6 miles were fine, then, kaput! I'm rebooking it in and will do the drive with them.

I took it to a main dealer so I assume it was Honda diagnostics? They said I had all the
latest software etc. Both garages (Honda and other one I took I to as Honda busy) said nothing showing :(

I don't have cruise control so I can't test that but I think I get what you mean Jon_G. I have told him indoors and he's going to take a look.

If I get to the bottom of it, I'll let you know. Thanks again!

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,896 Posts
A main dealer would definitely have (and use) a Honda Diagnostic System. This would have run complete EGR valve interactive tests (plus IMRC, fuel pressure, boost, etc), but there's never harm in cleaning the EGR valve (but only to make sure it fully opens and closes without sticking, don't bother trying to clean up the pipework!).

It's a real shame you can't 'prove' it's the TPS via use of the cruise control, but my money is still on it being the TPS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back in 7th April. Apparently Honda did get the car to fault. They were driving it round with the laptops plugged in and it did it but nothing showed.

Weird. They said it's not the EGR they checked that.

It's such a pain not having a car but the 18 mile round cycle to work will be helping me right?

Sorry didn't see last post! Thank you, going to clean EGR anyway and check TPS, great tips thank you!

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,896 Posts
Back in 7th April. Apparently Honda did get the car to fault. They were driving it round with the laptops plugged in and it did it but nothing showed.

Weird. They said it's not the EGR they checked that.

It's such a pain not having a car but the 18 mile round cycle to work will be helping me right?
The Honda Diagnostic System (which would have been on their laptop as they drove around) cannot test the TPS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah great stuff, that sounds promising then. I told them the ideas over the phone. They took them seriously and noted them against the job.

I've got the same technician on it for continuity.

Fingers crossed! In the meantime, got to get cycling!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello
Got the same problem my Civic 06 does the same usually when going up hill but also on flat power then either comes back or engine cuts out have to have car on level ground before it restarts had diagnostic done no codes found, cleaned out EGR on looking through the forum, replaced fuel filter still no help. Should find a solution let me know will post if I find out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I feel your pain, I had a similar issue with my fiesta, went to two seperate garages (one being Ford), no fault codes and nothing showing on the scanner when being driven. Ford had it in and took it to bits and it cured the problem, they say they didn't do anything to it, but their guess was filth in the air intake before the filter, and just because they annoyed me with their answers (or lack of) I told them to put it back together and give it back to me... free of charge :D Just keep trying with the garages, could always try a different Honda dealer if you have no luck with that one?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I will definitely report back. It's off the road for now. Not ferrying two small kids round in it while it's like that! I got the EGR valve parts through the post today. Will give it a go when not raining and less busy (mad day today).

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Hello
Got the same problem my Civic 06 does the same usually when going up hill but also on flat power then either comes back or engine cuts out have to have car on level ground before it restarts had diagnostic done no codes found, cleaned out EGR on looking through the forum, replaced fuel filter still no help. Should find a solution let me know will post if I find out.
sounds like crap in the tank is pooling around the inlet pipe when going up hill and dispersing when on the flat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
EGR valve was pretty gunked up. Cleaned it out and it did 15 miles no problem. Will try a longer road test tom and the next few days to be certain but first indications are good!

Thanks for all your help, would never have considered the things you've mentioned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Longer term report.

Not a single problem since. Runs perfectly. Every time. Cold start, long run, short hops. Not even a misfire, no drag, nothing. Definitely a blocked EGR valve.

Thank you so much, you saved me a lot of time and money, much appreciated!

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,896 Posts
Longer term report.

Not a single problem since. Runs perfectly. Every time. Cold start, long run, short hops. Not even a misfire, no drag, nothing. Definitely a blocked EGR valve.

This is obviously great news, but does indicate that the Honda garage DID NOT run full HDS diagnostics when you took your car to them... HDS would definitely have found an EGR problem. So I suggest you avoid that particular dealer in future!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Lost my faith to honda garages a few years ago when they can't find the creaking noise when reversing on my civic...plus a few issues that even honda uk doesn't bothered to help. Im glad you found and fix the fault.

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Good evening!

Diesel
2.2 CTdI
5 door hatchback

go buy a autocom cdp+ for laptop and leads £50-£100 online, garage level diagnostics for peanuts money... i bought a alfa romeo 2.4jtd 20v other day, same thing would run ok until got hot, 3 garages had try'd fixing it to no avail,, i tracked it down to temp sensor, so when car got to a certain temp the resistance in the sensor would throw car in to limp mode, 1200 revs eml light, but sometimes car would run perfect for days,,, the temp sensor on modern cars dont just work the temp gauge its also runs with fueling aircon radiator fans inlet temp ambient temp sensor,,,, this said your run of the mill diagnostics system will never give you all the data you will need to diagnose which sensor is playing up.. autocom is a rip off of delphi diagnostics and is by far the best platform to read cars whole electric ecu systems,,, just a thought bud

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
go buy a autocom cdp+ for laptop and leads £50-£100 online, garage level diagnostics for peanuts money... i bought a alfa romeo 2.4jtd 20v other day, same thing would run ok until got hot, 3 garages had try'd fixing it to no avail,, i tracked it down to temp sensor, so when car got to a certain temp the resistance in the sensor would throw car in to limp mode, 1200 revs eml light, but sometimes car would run perfect for days,,, the temp sensor on modern cars dont just work the temp gauge its also runs with fueling aircon radiator fans inlet temp ambient temp sensor,,,, this said your run of the mill diagnostics system will never give you all the data you will need to diagnose which sensor is playing up.. autocom is a rip off of delphi diagnostics and is by far the best platform to read cars whole electric ecu systems,,, just a thought bud
They don't read much on the civic's, about the only thing extra that it would read on mine that my obd2 reader didn't read is the oil temp. It also wasn't able to give me a proper boost reading (maxed out at 22psi when I am running higher boost than that).

Plus the only tests it would perform is EGR, IMRC and turbo VNT actuator. But it said my EGR passed with a blanking plate installed and it also passed when I disconnected the vacuum lead. So the tests aren't even useful/accurate as far as I'm concerned.

HDS is the only thing that can read everything properly and do all the tests.

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
They don't read much on the civic's, about the only thing extra that it would read on mine that my obd2 reader didn't read is the oil temp. It also wasn't able to give me a proper boost reading (maxed out at 22psi when I am running higher boost than that).

Plus the only tests it would perform is EGR, IMRC and turbo VNT actuator. But it said my EGR passed with a blanking plate installed and it also passed when I disconnected the vacuum lead. So the tests aren't even useful/accurate as far as I'm concerned.

HDS is the only thing that can read everything properly and do all the tests.
thats strange i have not found much the one i have dont read, used it on a number of honda cars what year was the one that would not read the honda and where did you get it from, maybe there is a difference to what level of software you get from different places maybe, on the first screen selecting correct year engine number and ecu number makes all the difference, and also what part of car u want to read and work with.. also there is a screen where you have about 20 to 50 different parameters to drag and drop in to a tic tic screen,, if these are not selected then it looks like it dont read much.. just basic OEBD items mainly emission based. just going on the one i have,

·
Premium Member
5,194 Posts
Longer term report.

Glad you fixed it mate

1 - 20 of 26 Posts