2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to test the ecutek launch control, had a horrible gear change from 1st to 2nd which resulting in a lot of burnt clutch smell.

I stopped immediately but now my car won't select first gear. Initially the whole gear box felt dodged but all other gears came back to me.

I'm leaving the car to cool down at the moment. Any ideas? I'm praying it's not a permanent issue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Yeh it's common thing 1st and 2nd is doggy myne is too since I bought it at 151,000miles thought it was normal 馃榿馃

Sent from my Robin using Tapatalk

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
I've let the car cool down for the 30 mins. It seems to select first ok again, moved up and back down the drive ok... fingers crossed it's a lucky escape!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #4
Yeh it's common thing 1st and 2nd is doggy myne is too since I bought it at 151,000miles thought it was normal

First to second has always been a tough gear for mine to get smooth. Lesson learnt, launch control isn't for me

Registered
My 1st and 2nd gear have been bad since I got it . Got a new clutch fitted still bad so I've had to accept it these civics are bad for gear changes 馃槮馃槪

250bhp.... finally :)
I'd probably be looking to get the gearbox oil changed if it hasn't been recently.

Also a low bite can cause it, I would crunch second and be locked out of first until I selected second and go straight up. Raising the bite sorted it.

Enjoying life
My 1st and 2nd gear have been bad since I got it . Got a new clutch fitted still bad so I've had to accept it these civics are bad for gear changes 馃槮馃槪

You obviously never had an ep3, one of the sweetest gear changes.

Registered
Nah never had one miss's says it's ugly so we got fk2 family reasons 馃ぃ

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #9
I'd probably be looking to get the gearbox oil changed if it hasn't been recently.

Also a low bite can cause it, I would crunch second and be locked out of first until I selected second and go straight up. Raising the bite sorted it.

My gearbox oil is only a year old. Interestingly though I do have a very low biting point. Is raising the bite a difficult job?

Enjoying life

Enjoying life
Never changed mine so can't comment.

Registered
Just rang my local garage and asked about the bite he said there's no point really there's nothing wrong with your clutch it'll be something else there that's making your 1,2 gear slightly hard to go in and that's with 20years plus experience there a sound garage 馃憤 just doing my head in

250bhp.... finally :)
Bite should be at least halfway up the pedal travel.

Mine's on the higher side but raising it up helped immensely and not had a peep out of it since raising. Doesn't need much, the difference of a couple of cm in the pedal travel resolved it for me.

Premium Member
I had same issue when changing my clutch to the CC SMF. My bite was really low and after a week I couldn't select any gears.

Spoke to TDI North who advised raising the bite point and also ensuring clutch fluid has been changed and no air trapped.

Mentioned raising bite point to mechanic and he thought I was talking rubbish as he had 30+ years experience and was sure raising the bit point was not the answer.

I followed the how to on here myself and I'm not mechanically minded in the slightest but did it and it fixed the issue.

All I will say is give it a go and do half turns at a time then check to see if its made a difference.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Premium Member
My comment was with reference to the other person with a DERV.

Very briefly CC and CG make 'oversprung' pressure plates to handle the much higher power / torque of remapped motors - standard clutches can't handle the power / torque increase.
Thing is, Honda's hydraulics cannot handle the spring increase and the damper's the 'weakest link'.

OP is in relation to the FN2 - better keeping it FN2 I reckon.

Al.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts