2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys ive taken my car to get an MOT and its failed due to the "U" clip that you fasten to hold the headlight light bulb in place missing. Ive only just realised its gone and wondered if there is anyway to buy them? I spoke to my local honda and they have said they can only source it if i buy a COMPLETE new headlamp for the cheap price of £100 in which i slammed the phone down!:mad:

£100 for a oversized paperclip ...please!

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
could be wrong but am sure these are all standard fit.... pop to a scrappy and lift one? failing that any strong woire should do.. as long as the bulb is held in place.. cost you a fiver to check the lights on a beam setter once have tried it.. or you could run it up against a garage door and compare??

·
Registered
51 Posts
Same thing happened to me when I was fitting my HID's, the clip sprung off and I feared it was lost forever. This was not the case, I simply popped off my fog lamp blank (not posh enough to have front fogs....YET) had a peek inside with a torch and there it was. Iv never been so happy to see a bit of wirey metal, I think I may have even kissed it! :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
If you can't get one from a breakers yard, call into a local small engineering workshop.
They will knock you out one in sprung steel.
£100 for the complete unit from Honda indeed. :mad:
It's about time they realised that all punters aint daft.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks for the replies i cannot get hold of one from a scrapy :/ getting really short of ideas as i cannot get my mot /tax without it! :confused:

What do you mean by engineering workshop mate?

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
One of those little companies, which turn out metal machine parts for others.
Often find them hidden away on industrial estates.
Only have about half a dozen guys working in them.
Take a look at your Yellow Pages or Thompsons.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Thought I'd post this here as I lost one of mine and wasn't paying for an entire headlight unit to replace it!

Pop down to B&Q and buy "Plant Support Galvanised Wire 20m" (20m being the shortest they had) for £3.

Then, get your wire cutters and needle-nose pliers out and start bending! I used the other clip as a template.

Can you guess which is the original? The replacement works absolutely perfectly, and I've got a couple of spares now too. The critical bit to holding the bulb securely is making sure the two "bumps" are high enough so they press against the bulb properly.

For £3, worth a go even if you mess it up!

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
LEGEND... you shall save people lots of ££££ HERE!

·
Bantersaurus Rex
1,567 Posts
If I ever lose mine, you have lots of wire... I think you have a viable business idea for idle thumbs... make a few and you've paid for your own in no time!....

Just off out to the car to check mine...

·
Registered
218 Posts
ive changed my bulbs a few times and never noticed this piece? do the MOT guys actually take the light cover off and check for tightness?

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Not to worry! In any case, the MOT will fail as the bulb isn't held in place meaning the beam pattern is all over the place - they don't check the clips being there (I passed an MOT with mine missing with copious amounts of tape and stuffing the cover with a sponge so it wasn't going to budge!) However if you've got no clip and the bulb is noticeably out of place they'll fail you.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts

Top job mate. You'll save a few people some money. The original one is on the right. I remember as it took me a while to install my HID's and I recall the form the clips held.

Great job again dude.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Syx

I've just tried changing my bulbs over to HID's and the driver side is a pig to do, especially with the coolant bottle in the way (even after moving it). So much of a pig that I've lost the clip.

The link to the galvanised wire doesn't work... what's the thickness I need to get? 3mm?

Would this one from screwfix do the same job?

Apollo 2.5mm 2.5mm Galvanised Garden Wire x 25m | Wire Mesh | Screwfix.com

1 - 20 of 28 Posts