2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - hoping you can help with some pointers. My mk8 1.8 civic is used infrequently - maybe once every weekend (so it sits during the week with no use). Everytime I move off, literally as soon as the car moves a bit for the first time, there's a loud clunk / click noise that seems to come from one of the back wheels. As if there's something in the way, and the mechanism needs to break through/get over. After this, I drive with almost no issues. I say almost because one time this happened (the car had sat for 2 weeks this time), shortly after moving off whenever I hit the breaks I'd hear a repeated clunking noise from the back wheels (as if the pads weren't evenly pressing against the disks). After some time, it goes away.

Any ideas? Could it be an issue with the break pads, and once I move they've adjusted? My car is usually parked on street, so it leans to one side while it sits for the week, if that is of note.

·
Heading for the naughty step
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
3,105 Posts
It’s sounds like the brakes at the back are not releasing when you remove the hand brake. If it’s sat for a while and def if it’s been raining the brake pads can stick to the discs slightly. So when you set off, that sound ’the clunk’of them being force off by forward motion from discs. I get this issue if I leave the car stood a while after washing the car, So when I have completed the wash I will take the car for a drive so this doesn’t occur.
It might also need the slider pins removing and given a good grease. But I think it’s down to the car being sat for a while, especially being left for 5-6days every time.

·
Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
25,296 Posts
This clunk phenomenon has been present for decades.

If you reverse park for example then when you brake the pads are pushed clockwise / anticlockwise depending on side. Then when you move off forwards they can initially stick, especially in damp conditions where an orange disc layer is created. This can produce the clunk with the initial opposite direction movement.

I used to get that almost daily in winter in my 8G's

·
Super Moderator
5,639 Posts
This clunk phenomenon has been present for decades.

If you reverse park for example then when you brake the pads are pushed clockwise / anticlockwise depending on side. Then when you move off forwards they can initially stick, especially in damp conditions where an orange disc layer is created. This can produce the clunk with the initial opposite direction movement.

I used to get that almost daily in winter in my 8G's
get it all the time in wet weather or after washing it with the FN2, just live with it unless it does it in the dry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts