2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've searched for this issue and found several related posts, but none "definitive" as regard to “is normal or not”. I have an issue with my Civic: when going over rough pavement, I hear continuous loud metal clunks in the front (steering, allegedly). The slower speed, the worse is the problem. One thing I noticed is that the noise is louder on low speed turns. The thing is that the dealer already replaced the steering gear box under warranty... twice!!... with no avail. The dealer now says it's "normal", it's just poorly designed and I have to live with it (I suppose that a steering gear box is not a cheap part…). He also offered me the possibility to drive a new demo car and I found that this new car is even worse... truth is I also have this noises since new (or almost). He also says that it has nothing to do with the steering rack... it's just the poorly designed steering gear boxes. So, the “definitive” question is: does really every Civic have this "normal" steering loud metal clunks?

thanks. regards,

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Hmmm funny you should say this... i have recently been getting like metal bangs which i thought were coming from the shocks? Anyways my car is going in on Friday to be looked at by my local. I shall keep you updated

RFY

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! please keep me posted.
Well, I don't know about the bump stops.. But aren't they suppose to go like "pop" noise? this is more like a metal clank and clearly not in the structs zone. The dealer says it's the tolerances in the steering gear box - they are not designed for our "brick" roads (??). And I tend to agree with him. The previous Civic I had (a Coupe) started doing the same kind of noises.. but with 200.000km... ;)... the difference was that, at that time, it could also be felt on the sterring wheel.
Also, what puzzles me the most is that this is the third!! steering gear box and the test drive with a 2008 (then) new model revealed the same issue... but, by your answers, it's not a "design" feature as it seems that not everyone has this..

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
bump stops...
get them to check all wheels

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, I'll have them checked. another detail I forgot to mention: the front structs were also both replaced at around 35.000km...

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Hmm i have already had the bump stops replaced on my car not soo long ago. This sounds like a different sound to me? Will see what the lovely people at my dealers have to say come Friday.

RFY

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
It doesn't have to be the bump stops. I have metallic clonks (although quite seldom) and an always present rattle from the steering rack when driving on uneven roads. Bumps stops were fine, and the steering rack was replaced three weeks ago. The rattling sound went away completely for 2 weeks, but are now back... The dealer will check the tolerance next week. I fear they say it's within the limits, and it's a "caracteristic of the car"... Hope not though...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
That's exactly what I am trying to know ;): if it's a characteristic of the car or not... because my dealer says it is and I tend to agree with him because we had the sub-frame fixed, 2 new steering gear boxes, 2 new front shock absorvers, a "positive" test drive with a new car..

If EVERYONE has this issue since day 1, then it's a "characteristic" of the car (and that doesn't mean we have to live with this), if not then it's not definitively a "characteristic of the car" and they HAVE to fixe it period.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Well i have some good news! My car is noise free again....(for now)...

The car went in for a new temp sensor on Friday and also to be checked as i reported the banging noise. Anyways they had the car and took it for a road test. I got a call and they said they could hear any noise and would i be happy to go out with a technician.... i said yes and managed to show him the noise.

I didnt realise it was coming every time i move away and every time i stop.... the senior technician said this is a known 'bug' of the car where there are 3 metal plates sandwiched together which needed to be lubricated in order for the banging to stop. This was sorted in about 45 mins and now the car is ok again... kudos to Bristol Honda for finding the fault.

As i said the banging only comes when you pull away and when you stop. i hope you guys get your cars fixed soon.

RFY

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hi RFY! very good to know that everything worked fine for you ;) keep us update please to know if it is a permanent cure or not. In my case, at least, I think it's different as it does not bang when moving away or stopping, it just bangs/rattles continuously on even the slightest rough road surface - most noticeably a lower speeds like 10..20km/h, or so, and the turning.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Black CRX,

I had a similar issue with mine. Loud metal clangs from front going over pot holes, turning right at a slow speed on a hill. Took to the dealer and front bump stops had dropped. Now replaced and noise has gone :D

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Cheers Black_CRX_VT!

As fergs says it could be the Bump Stops? have you had that checked for at the dealers? I have had my replaced and its a known 'bug' of the car.

As for my problems... we they have been solved for the time being but dont worry if they come back or a new one develops i shall be on here to vent my frustration lol.

RFY

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol! Thanks everyone! Well, I'm waiting a call from the dealer to have the clutch pump replaced (second time..) and the alarm horn and by then I'll ask them to see this. In the mean time, today I took a look at the front struts.. and although they were both replaced half a year ago, I think I still have the yellow bump stops!! At least it's what I can see in the wheel fender... hmmm.. Weren’t those suppose to be white (i.e. the "good ones")? Hmmm… Is there also a “good” way to find out they are loose? I mean, visual inspection or some sort of ”loose bump stops inspection for dummies” :D?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts