2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I've noticed that my car seems to have a periodic squeaking at low speeds, maybe ~10 mph. I'm sure it's a plethora of things but is this the sort of thing which would be worth taking my car to a garage for? I've already got the motor booked in for next Monday.

Can't help but feel it's having an impact on my swagger.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Sometimes the worst of things to track down :)

Does it only occur when the car is cold and at 10mph or less or is it happening all the time ?

Also, would you say it sounds like suspension or something else, ie trim ?

·
Oldboy-racer
908 Posts
Could you be a bit more specific please? Have you any idea just how many places can sqeak on a Civic? At least on my civ.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could you be a bit more specific please? Have you any idea just how many places can sqeak on a Civic? At least on my civ.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
I wish I could be more specific but I'm a complete car noob. I'm more asking if this is the sort of thing which a mechanic can narrow down. I mean, the fact that it's oscillatory / periodic must shine some light. It's not a constant hiss, but a periodic squeak.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sometimes the worst of things to track down :)

Does it only occur when the car is cold and at 10mph or less or is it happening all the time ?

Also, would you say it sounds like suspension or something else, ie trim ?
I noticed it after 25 minutes driving on the motorway so I think it's safe to say it's a fairly constant thing.

I'd have a guess that it could be the suspension, but like I said in the other post, it's definitely a periodic squeak as opposed to a constant hiss.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,228 Posts
I noticed it after 25 minutes driving on the motorway so I think it's safe to say it's a fairly constant thing.

I'd have a guess that it could be the suspension, but like I said in the other post, it's definitely a periodic squeak as opposed to a constant hiss.
Brake wear Indicators? Anti Roll Bar Bushes?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brake wear Indicators? Anti Roll Bar Bushes?
I'm not really sure. Like I said, the sound is periodic, not constant. I would've thought brake wear indicators would have a constant screech. I think I need to experiment a bit more to find the root of the issue.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,228 Posts
I'm not really sure. Like I said, the sound is periodic, not constant. I would've thought brake wear indicators would have a constant screech. I think I need to experiment a bit more to find the root of the issue.
Good luck then :smile3: defo not the drop links as they don't squeak or screech, they bang / clunk :wink3: easy DIY fix though when they're shot.

·
Registered
437 Posts
It could be the brake disc backing plate once your cars hot i.e. Brakes it could be warping slightly and just catching at low speeds ,get the windows down and listen to each side to narrow a side down , once you know which side it is jack the car up once hot and spin the wheel by hand .

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update. While I had my fuel pipe fixed (another thread), I got the guys to have a quick look for anything glaring. They said there was a lot of dirt on the front brake pads which they cleaned off. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to have rectified the issue.

It could be the brake disc backing plate once your cars hot i.e. Brakes it could be warping slightly and just catching at low speeds ,get the windows down and listen to each side to narrow a side down , once you know which side it is jack the car up once hot and spin the wheel by hand .
That sounds pretty plausible. I'll give it a go when I get the chance. I feel like it might be coming from the rear of my car.

I assume you have had the recall done on the rear dampers?
As per service bulletin.
https://8g.hondaclub.cz/files/service_bulletin/SJ-06-004-05.pdf
I don't think so. But that pdf says it only happens from cold. I don't think that's applicable in my case. Unfortunately I might have to get another garage to take a look. -.-'

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I was kind of worried that it might be clutch dependent because I initially thought it only happened when the clutch is engaged. Was driving around my work's carpark earlier at 5mph and it was happening with the clutch disengaged.

So I guess I need to examine the rear wheels. I think the possibility of it being the brakes is very much plausible. Will keep updating.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Drove to work today. The squeekiness is really starting to affect my swagger! Don't think I'll be picking any girls up with this right now.

I'm more convinced it's a brake issue. I was getting a consistent, periodic squeek, proportional to how fast I was going, which disappeared (and reappeared) immediately after applying (and disengaging) the brakes.

Going to a new more independent garage on Tuesday. Hopefully the mechanic will appreciate my extensive research. Just need to work out which tyre it is now!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just updating my thread again.

Took my car to a different garage. The gentleman reckoned that it's due to the front brake disc. I was in a bit of a rush so I couldn't get him to elaborate but will speak to him later for him to clarify.

Does this seem right however? They're not even that old (~year). He wants to replace my rear brake discs as well. So a small niggle looks like it's going to end up costing me £340. Is that right?

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,228 Posts
£340 for front discs sounds like robbery to me, should get discs and fitting for less than that...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Sorry for turning this thread into basically my personal blog. It's mainly in case other people have my issue.

So I got the front discs and brakes replaced but not the back. Me and a friend got shown the old ones and they looked pretty damn good to me honestly. Not exactly even wear but there must be reasons for that (I mean, I weight ~5-10% of the car's weight, that imbalance must do something to the vehicle).

As soon as I left the garage the squeaking was there. Immediately went back and he said he'll have a look again tomorrow. I paid £180 for the front and it didn't even need doing. Turned plenty of heads driving home due to the squeaking!

So I guess the only other option is that it's coming from the warped brake disc at the rear. I'm going to go for a drive with a friend later, see if we can confirm it's coming from that wheel.

What are my options here? I feel it's a real poor show. I think he should put my old front disc and brakes back on since it's clear that didn't need doing.

30 mins a side and that's going slow and £100 in parts
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280165735534 il do the job for £200
I'll bear this in mind. Going to oxfordshire next week actually!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Sorry for turning this thread into basically my personal blog. It's mainly in case other people have my issue.

So I got the front discs and brakes replaced but not the back. Me and a friend got shown the old ones and they looked pretty damn good to me honestly. Not exactly even wear but there must be reasons for that (I mean, I weight ~5-10% of the car's weight, that imbalance must do something to the vehicle).

As soon as I left the garage the squeaking was there. Immediately went back and he said he'll have a look again tomorrow. Honestly, I'm super gutted. I paid £180 for the front and it didn't even need doing. Turned plenty of heads driving home due to the squeaking.

So I guess the only other option is that it's coming from the warped brake disc at the year. I'm going to go for a drive with a friend later, see if we can confirm it's coming from that wheel.

What are my options here? I feel it's a real poor show. I think he should put my old front disc and brakes back on since it's clear that didn't need doing.

I'll bear this in mind. Going to oxfordshire next week actually!
By all means go back if he said it was the discs and it's still the same then he's done a job that hasn't needed doing especially if the old ones were fine , rear discs and pads are £50 and 1 hour labour

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Final update:

Turns out it was the warped brake disc causing the squeaking. Guy replaced the rears for free. So I got front and rears done for £180. Still annoying but can't complain too much I guess.

So if anyone is ever getting a loud periodic squeaking sound, it could be a warped brake disc!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts