2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Has anyone used low viscosity brake fluid on their Civic ? I have some ATE DOT 4 SL 6, ready to change the brake fluid on a 2014 1.8, but wanted to get other people's experience of using this or similar fluid before going ahead.
Thanks, Peter.(y)

·
4,233 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't use anything other than what Honda recommend. But that's only my take on it.
What the heck is low viscosity brake fluid, and why is it used?

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
interesting. ATE's own datasheets (Technical data sheets) say the SL6 is good for ESP fitted vehicles. no such mention in the typ200 i'm using in the FK2R. Wonder what the other performance/track favorite of the Motul RBF600/660 fluid is spec'd at.

ATE's dot5.1 is also low viscosity and explicitly states ESP.

also, ignoring ESP, i wonder what other reasons you'd choose one over the other are...

edit: After looking at the Motul RBF600 datasheet I'm thinking low viscosity might be more useful in very cold countries. viscosity is measured at -40C and +100c. -40c has substantial thickness difference whereas 100C appears to be negliable difference between the 4 above mentioned fluids.

edit2: i'm also assuming that the viscosity curve is linear.

·
Super Moderator
2,215 Posts
it will be for things like colder climates and vehicles with narrow brake lines and things
to me it seams a bit like using watered down fluid

·
Registered
12 Posts
I used Ate typ200 on my 2011 1.4 Civic, and it works fine. You can also use SL6, it just has lower wet boiling temperatures, but still would work fine.
Many other brands are marked as DOT 4, but have better values which would rate them as DOT 5, or even DOT 5.1
I know I guy that runs a blog on motor oils and brake fluids, unfortunately it's not in English so you couldn't understand. But Ate is one of his many recommendations.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
I used Ate typ200 on my 2011 1.4 Civic, and it works fine. You can also use SL6, it just has lower wet boiling temperatures, but still would work fine.
Many other brands are marked as DOT 4, but have better values which would rate them as DOT 5, or even DOT 5.1
I know I guy that runs a blog on motor oils and brake fluids, unfortunately it's not in English so you couldn't understand. But Ate is one of his many recommendations.

DOT 5 is silicone based - not to be confused with any other brake fluid - it is very different stuff..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts