2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a friend in work today who knows someone who might be able to get me a discount on a LPG conversion as that is his job (obviously?).

It got me thinking if this would be good for me as I don't really do that many miles in a year, but I had a look anyway, I got a quote from 'The Greenfuel Company'. This is what it Reported back with:

You will save £370.02 per year on Fuel Costs.
Using the official fuel consumption for your vehicle, and given your annual mileage of 7,000:
You currently spend £800.98 on petrol per year!
You will spend just £430.96 on LPG per year.

Our quote is based on supplying a Greenfuel 106947 kit at £2,032.75 including VAT.
I know it may take a while to recoup the money, but maybe this would be worthwhile?

Has anyone thought of having it done to their Civic?
Would it fit in the extra boot bit, or would it still take up space in the boot?
Has anyone here had it done previously?, experiences??

When I get the time, I will try to go to the closest conversion place to me and see what they say, but I just wanted to get some opinions on here first really :)

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
You would need to check the availability of LPG near to where you live. All the cars that I seen converted have tended to be large saloons like Vauhall Omega's as the LPG tank tended to take up a lot of boot space. Having said that the owners all say how economical it is compared to petrol/diesel and that there is no perceived change in power/performance.

·
Big Civic fan
207 Posts
also depends on how long you are going to keep your car.

£2000 for the kit, then only saving £370 a year, i will take you 5 and a hlaf years to get your money back.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I did think of that, although my miles per year will soon be going up due to work.

I do plan on keeping the car for at least 5 years, but things change ;) I wanted to keep my last car for 5 years and decided to change it for the Civic after 1 :D

Im not in no rush to get it anyway, just looking about at the moment :)

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes that is the downside, but you can get grants for it, I beleive? Although one of the websites I went on yesterday said they need the car for about 3 days to install and perform checks. Maybe thats where most of the money goes!

I am trying to find out more from the bloke in work, but his friend was on holiday last week, but should be back tomorrow.

·
Registered
67 Posts
£2000 for the kit, then only saving £370 a year, i will take you 5 and a hlaf years to get your money back.
If you travel into central London each day, you'll save about £1600 on congestion charges, breaking even in about a year!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Do bear in mind that an LPG conversion will invalidate your Honda warranty. I am not sure to what extent, but I know that the engine will not be covered at all.

Don't want to put a downer on things, but I though I had better say

Martin

·
Registered
130 Posts
It would be worth it if you did a lot of miles but if you are doing less than 20,000 a year I do not really see the benefit.

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,183 Posts
buy the 2.2 diesel....... ex of course

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Would an LPG conversion affect its value when it's selling or trade in time ?

·
King of the rodeo
4,830 Posts
I don't think that its a bad idea, Its probably the future, but you really would have to put in the miles. The whole warranty thing would stop me dead in my tracks. I think its best left for a few years until it takes off a bit more i.e it will be cheaper and more available.

p

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you travel into central London each day, you'll save about £1600 on congestion charges, breaking even in about a year!
Can I just say that I've carried out extensive research on this as I travel into central London every day. You have to be VERY careful as there are only a handful of cars that even after conversion will be exempt from the Congestion Charge and I doubt very much the Civic will be one of them as I doubt it's on the list. You could have a look at the cclondon website for more details. I don't know why they don't just make all LPG cars exempt - nasty Ken!

·
Banned
72 Posts
I had a friend convert my previous car (mercedes)but one to gas, this cost £1000 5 years ago. It roughly halves you fuel cost and i had no problem with the Mercedes warrantee, i did let them know. The car was silky smooth on gas and i found no change in performance swiching between petrol and gas at will, however experts say there is a loss of 5% on gas.One concern was that although gas is very clean on some engines it could hardern the valves however the sytems are even better know and if the valves are the type that are suseptable then you can incorparate a device that injects a liquid that stops this happening.A few things to consider first would be Hondas attitude to fitting LPG euipment. The cost of fitting and additional service/maintenance costs. Where to fit the gas tank (possibly under the secret compartment in the boot?) and the location of petrol stations also selling LPG. LPG does not add value to your car in fact it can do the opposite. If i was doing more miles than i do i would not hessitate to fit a LPG system however at present i would only save approx £600 a year add the extra service and maintences cost it would take me 3 years to break even. Think carefully!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts