2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've been reading some threads on here about converting the Type R to LPG.

It seems that performance doesn't really see much of a decrease but the fuel cost savings are good.

I have contacted a local firm near to me for a cost, they have however come back with the below information:

The Honda is best looked at on the type R as we can convert the vehicle for you but there are two issues to consider.

1, the engine valves of the Honda engine are not good for conversion to LPG
and can degrade over a lot of motorway use.
2, the type R is high reving so we need to look closley at the system we
intend to use to make sure that we can run on LPG at these high revs.

As a guide for the conversion I would suggest a price of around £1200 inc
Vat and Uk LPG registration would would prefer to see the vehicle first to
check engine code etc.
There was a bit of hype with the Prins conversion a couple of years ago, i mentioned they have converted to LPG successfuly, the response from my local company:

Yes I am also aware, the problem is with valves on a lot of the Honda range and not many conversion companies inform end users of this.

The race car of prins was a different story as this was engineered this way for converison and as you would expect limited mileage.
What are your views on this, will a conversation to LPG be so detrimental to the valves that it won't be worth the risk to convert to LPG?

Thanks
Carl

·
Registered
29 Posts
My opinion.. buy a CTR and convert it to LPG? You just don't do that :)

Change it for a diesel if you're after MPG...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all

MPG isn't really an issue, neither is the cost to fuel.

The issue is with me, if there is something i can do to a car i will try it.

What does appeal to me is that I have read accounts of LPG conversions on the Type R where performance has not decreased and economy has increased. If this is true than i would see no reason not to convert to LPG, unless the high operating temp does degrade the valves, in which case it would be a bad idea.

As i have read a bit about LPG conversions on these forums i thought i would ask the question here, and i hope to hear from someone who has actually carried out a conversion and their opinion.

thanks all,

Carl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts