2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got into a discussion this evening about LPG...

Anyone on it in here?
Came home to search about it but no joy.

The argument was that LPG is about 70p per litre, the octane rating is higher and therefore its a performance increase over traditional fuel, once you convert a diesel you can't run it on diesel again (unless you convert it back) but with petrol engines you can drive on both, easy if you run out...

The savings then were apparently then 50% as diesel is 1.37-1.42 in Edinburgh at the moment.

I really want to know more...

Discuss?

:)

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
didn't know that the performance wasn't affected.... the R being all about that really that's why folks buy it..... had a mate years ago had a cavalier sports hatch that was converted .. all he did was flick a switch in dash... barely a fart from the engine as it swapped over... he had a tank like you would use on your bbq in the boot but technology being what it is they re smaller now and I believe shaped for different cars though you still use up boot space though maybe the well in the civ would do??

As to price well wont be long before whatever thief is in no11 twigs and ramps up the price... poor motorist catching it again.

The other downside was availability though think there a lot places doing it now.. there's two or three near me/ The consumption was just under half that of petrol so it takes a while to recoup the outlay... about 1500 of your English pounds i believe so loads of miles before you turn a "profit". You doing your DI thing might see the benefit. thee was a government scheme while back that offset the cost but its done away with now

·
aka Colin
10,853 Posts
In my view it's fair enough saying it's increased performance due to the higher octane, however the additional weight from a second tank and lpg unit will surely kill any gain from that.
Availability shouldn't be a problem as most bp stations I've been to stock LPG matey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dervs run it alongside diesel not instead of it so not a huge saving, you will gain some power and some additional mpg but nos would be better

Still can't find that thread btw?
Nos powered diesel...

How does LPG affect emissions?
Doesn't it have lower levels of hydrocarbons and particulates?

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got this reply......Dear Duncan,

The cost would be £1650+vat

Where are you in the country?

Regards,

Will Putter
Commercial Director
T:02380446467 F:02380447664 M:07827359204 www.prinsautogasuk.co.uk

Is that for the 2.2?
I had a quick look at the site, thanks for that.
They say they've done a 1.8 Type S...

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
Not sure about how this works on a derv but a few years ago I had a diesel that used to have a 60% diesel 40% vegetable oil in the tank as around the time that was 40ppl and diesel was 85ppl. The diesel run fine with no problems apart from strange looks when you poor the veg oil in the tank and even told a young apprentice at work my car smelt like chips and had him sniffing the exhaust :facepalm: I even put some in the Auris last year as I was at Tesco and they had a veg oil offer of buy 2 litres get 2 free and it was £2 for the 2 litres so it worked out at 50ppl against £1.15 for diesel. http://www.whatgas.com/fuel/vegetable-diesel.aspx

·
I drive my Mistress...
874 Posts
Hmmm...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts