2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Gotta ask!

Was it a new ploy to save fuel or had you broken down?

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was it a new ploy to save fuel or had you broken down?

Yes; I travelled 12 miles on nil petrol! ;):D

Actually I had broken down. I went to my garage after leaving my Civic parked for a week whilst away on holiday and it refused to unlock by remote. I used the key and the alarm went off. Lights dimmed and it wouldn't respond at all.

I called-out the AA and they diagnosed a slightly flat battery together with a transponder fault which only the dealer could fix, so he had to tow me there.

Excellent service by the AA as they turned up within about 20 minutes.

Unfortunately the garage can't fix the problem until Tuesday so they have loaned me an Accord Tourer until then.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Delighted to hear they looked after you,AA man bang on as he advised if you have a low battery and try to start the car it can wipe the immobiliser!

I had an F-RV when mine was in, not a bad car but it needed a baby on board sticker!
Hope you get it back soon mate!

Regards
Chris

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had fully charged the battery the day before going on holiday with my trickle charger. When the alarm went off and the lights dimmed I put it on again to test the voltage and it had dropped to 9 volts, so I put it on charge for 24 hours.

Avonvale in Coventry were very helpful and immediately said they would replace the battery but the keys and car transponder will need re-programming.

Chris on Service said he wished more people would keep their batteries topped up with a trickle charger if (like me) they don't do many miles.

I guess it's just a dodgy battery.

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
I guess it's just a dodgy battery
It is now !

Did you check the blue circle in the battery inspection window ? When I got mine new it took about 2 weeks of driving 40 miles a day before it turned to the clear blue that I was expecting.

Also, unless you have a garage or a driveway I wold think a battery charger would be almost impossible.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I left it after trickle charging it was a red centre with a blue collar.

When we got back it was red centre with a white collar and even after 24 hours of trickle charging it was still red/white, that's when the AA man came to call. :(

Chris at Honda said it's a small battery, with a high demand (I have an EX with i-Shift). But, as I pointed out to him, I do keep it topped up every two weeks with the trickle charger. It's usually just under 12 volts if I haven't driven it for two weeks, but quickly recovers to just over 12 volts after a short time.

It would always unlock by the remote without any problem, unlike this time.

I'm just thankful no-one decided to smile and wave as they passed...not that I would have noticed with my eyes focused on the rear of the AA van! Never has that journey taken so long from junc 1 to junc 2 !

Hopefully the new battery and re-programming of the transponder will solve the problem.

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
I've also got the EX i-shift but mine has only been left idle for one week, and it was OK.

There has to be a drain somewhere that the designers missed when they specced he battery.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine is about 22 months old now, and as well going on holiday, it's also left for up to 2 weeks or more in the garage as we use my wife's car for local journeys.

We also use my wife's car for the airport run as I'd sooner leave my Civic in the garage at home, that's why I use the trickle charger to keep the battery topped up.

This is the first time I've had this problem so I guess it must be a faulty battery cell.

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
Not sure if you can do this on the Civic battery (tops come off?).

Years ago an AA man removed all the screw tops off the battery and asked me to try and start the car.

He said that if any of the cells were duff then when I turned the key that cell should start producing bubbles under the strain. Sure enough one did and that had dragged the remaining cells down as well.

It sounds to me that if you need to replace the battery and you need to pay yourself then get a better quality one from a reputable maker.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm back now and with a new battery installed.

Evidently it mucks-up the transponder codes as well and they have to be re-programmed....and it mucked up the alarm siren so a new one is on order!!:D

·
Registered
233 Posts
Back home!

Bet the trip back down the M6 was a bit quicker this time!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts