2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello
The car I just bought has only one key that seems to look like the spare, where can I get a main key replacement barring going to Honda? or are they the only place to get one?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
You will need to get a new key cut to key number and then have it coded. When it is coded in the process will erase any other keys that where previously coded to the car and have not been re coded at this time. You could have the immobiliser recoded so that just key you have is coded and no other. Main dealer will be the best bet.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Pretty sure others on here have the flip keys so it can be done. Someone will point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah as i understand it, i can buy a fob case like the one in the link then get a locksmith to cut to my existing spare key, then get some old internals put them in the fob case then get honda to recode?
Thanks.

·
Administrator
21,160 Posts
I wonder, now that Honda supply the flip keys with the 9G whether it's now a whole lot easier ?

Sounds like it will still cost you your first born though !

I'm also trying to fully understand the statement about if you have a new key coded then all the other programmed keys are rendered useless unless they are also recoded ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm also trying to fully understand the statement about if you have a new key coded then all the other programmed keys are rendered useless unless they are also recoded ?
Yeah me too, I never even knew that Civics didn't come with the flip key tbh. it may be easier to just get a blank key with buttons and internals then locksmith to cut, honda recode?
Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts