2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have finally decided to create a build thread as I have been doing a few bits to my lovely civic.

I have joined this forum a while ago but did not get time to create a dedicated thread where I can show my progress and log my journey :D

I have had the car from November 2013 and so it is coming up to 2 years of owning it now. I have done some extensive civinfo browsing and found some great inspiration over the past 2 years.

I am in the process of gathering all the photos and records of all repairs/mods I have done.

I hope this thread will be useful to all and they will too find the inspiration to make their car that little bit more special to them :)

Stay tuned...

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Photos

Here are some photos taken not long after I got her :)

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Hatchback

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks dude :D yours looks amazing now !

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
First repair job

Here was my first nightmare with my civic...

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Alloy wheel

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Vehicle door

I woke up to my mirror being in this state. Thankfully there was no damage to the paint work so I got on the case straight away. After doing some research I was quoted £100+ for the replacement.

Then I came across a £40 mirror in bits on ebay so I bought it. Bit by bit I combined both into one good one.

Wire Electrical wiring Vehicle Technology Electrical supply

I have noticed that the mirror limit module had a blown fuse.I have located a repair guide on here (civinfo forum) and ordered the matching component and replaced it. Otherwise, the mirror auto folding function won't work.

Wire Light Electrical connector Cable Technology

Fashion accessory Metal

Wire Electrical wiring Electrical supply Cable Technology

After that I put it all together and the nightmare was over :D

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sensor Replacement

The next step was to deal with my engine management light. I have used my OBD dongle and the ODB doctor software in order to try and clear it but it kept coming back.

I have noted down the error code and spent some time browsing the code databases. The code turned out to be the coolant sensor No.2 fault.

At first, I could not locate the replacement part. Then I looked under the bonnet and realised that the coolant sensor No.1 at the top of the engine is the same as the one I need.

I have located a supplier on Ebay and asked them to double check just in case. They were very helpful and quick to reply. The part matched and ordered the same day ! :)

Civinfo forum came in handy as always and I have located a step by step guide on how to change the sensor.

Firstly, I took the bottom shielding off (just a couple of clips and screws) and located the sensor.

Auto part Pipe Fuel line

I have unplugged the connector and the problem was apparent. The pins of the connector had rusted sensor pins inside them. They have broken off and were stuck inside it. The connector itself was not in great shape so I decided to replace it completely. I cut it off and stripped the ends ready for the replacement.

Auto part Automotive exterior Wire

Coming back to my mirror repair, I have noticed that HONDA uses that type of connector on the mirror indicators.

Wire Technology Electronic device Cable Electronics accessory

I had some spares left from the repair so I cut off one of the connectors which was in great condition :)

Blue Water Cobalt blue Blue lagoon Drink

I have proceeded with emptying my radiator.

Auto part

Hand Finger Soil Automotive tire Auto part

The sensor was removed and as can be seen the pins were broken off. Next to it you can see the new sensor.

Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive lighting Exhaust system

I have soldered the new connector and used heat shrink on the joints to protect them from rust and shorting out.

I have put everything back together and cleared the code with the OBD dongle+software. The job was done :)

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Farqui :)

Yes it was a nightmare and the first ever incident with the car. However, if it wasn't for that I wouldn't have found this forum and learnt so much :D

Now I make sure that the mirrors are tucked in and the car sits as close to the curb as possible.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks :D There is more to come ... I have finally sorted all the photos and things I have done.

It is a great place indeed and I am so glad to be a part of it

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mods

So after fixing her up I have decided to treat my civic to some nice mods. I have been reading up and gaining inspiration which lead to building up a list of things I wanted to add :)

The first thing was the induction kit. I have done some research and decided to go for the K&N i-57 kit.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Engine

Auto part Vehicle Car Muffler Engine

With the help of my friend the kit was installed.

The next bits were interior mods:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Hatchback

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Center console City car

Automotive lighting Light Lighting Speedometer Auto part

Light Blue Lighting Visual effect lighting Electric blue

The bits installed:

- JVC Double din head unit

- FLI 1200W subwoofer

- Front and rear footwell LEDs wired to two carbon toggle switches (decided to make use of heated seats button blanks)

- Blue interior lights

- Volt gauge

- Mugen silver gear knob

All this made the car just that little be nicer to be inside :D ... ohh yeah and the intake noise was really interesting to get used to

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rear Visuals

I have ordered some visual bits for the rear.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Alloy wheel

Conveniently, the CIVINFO sticker came just in time too :)

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wrapping

It was time to carbon wrap some bits to improve the looks. This mod is great and changes the look quite a bit.

Auto part

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Honda civic

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Honda

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Honda civic

Thanks to my friend and a few long hours the mirrors and bonnet were wrapped.

Additional to that I have installed some for light protectors with silver MUGEN logos.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Engine bay mods

I have purchased some Mugen reservoir socks, oil cover and battery clamping plate.

I had some K & N stickers so decided to throw them in too

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Engine

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Latest updates

The latest fix was installing new shocks. Thanks to helpful people (Farqui and others) on here I have obtained a set of shocks and had them fitted after an unlucky attempt.

Whilst I was at it, I have decide to throw on a full set of Dunlop Sport BluResponse tyres 205/55/R16. I must say these tyres are incredible and are the best I have owned. They are highly rated and commended by the AutoExpress magazine :D

Text Font

I have also made some aluminium sheet washers in order to repair my exhaust heat shield which came loose in a number of places.

Organism Plant Soil

Auto part Suspension

The shield was now secured and hopefully will stay attached :D

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks a lot guys :D I would love to take the credit for the bonnet but in this case I was mostly the helper. I did learn from it though

Have a few more bits to upload tomorrow and then hopefully get parts sourced for my own custom cold air feed mod :cool:

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Earthing upgrade

I have browsed the forum and noticed quite a few people upgraded their earthing connections. So, I have decided to give it a crack since I was eager to do something on a Saturday rather than sit indoors :D

I have noticed that my earthing connections were quite aged so I have decided to upgrade them. I went for 100% 4 AWG copper wire to aid better connection compared to cheaper copper plated aluminium.

Vehicle Auto part Car Automotive battery Engine

Image of the standard earth connection battery to chassis

I have obtained all my bits from ebay which included:

- 3 x 4 AWG crimp ring terminals
- 5 metres of 4 AWG 100% copper wire (multi strand)
- Multi battery terminal (terminates 2 AWG - 8 AWG)

Some bits I had at my disposal:

- Hydraulic terminal crimp
- Heat shrink (non adhesive)
- Wire cutters

The process:

Yellow Cutting tool Material property Tool Metal

The battery earth terminal wire was crimped first. It only had to be crimped at one end as I opted for the 'screw to lock' battery terminal.

Cutting tool

Then the heat shrink was added to protect the crimp terminal and to reinforce the bend once it will be attached to the chassis.

Auto part Tool

Engine earthing wire was made

Auto part Vehicle Car Engine

Auto part Engine Motor vehicle Vehicle Fuel line

Both were installed and tested :)

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Photo

Today I found out that my photo I submitted of my car made it to the Honda's official August 2015 Fan Gallery on their Facebook page :D Quite chuffed

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Honda

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.