2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

The civic went in for a service yesterday and now it's come back and the 'malfunction indicator lamp' has come on mid journey and won't go away. I'm not getting any 'check system' messages and the restarting the engine three times advice given in the manual didn't help.

Anyone had similar after servicing? It had oil, clutch & brake fluid changed I'm wondering if one of the sensors has been triggered after this?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

also it's come back with an annoying low rev rattle from the engine bay that wasn't there before :(

·
Premium Member
18,080 Posts
Very suspicious these should occur after a mechanic has been fiddlin'. Are you able to take it back to the service dept and get them to take a look. At least flag it with them now.

Have a poke around the engine bay to see if anything is loose or missing. It's not unheard of for the engine oil filler cap to be missing after a service :facepalm:

Do you have an OBD reader you could plug in to check the error code(s)? Or maybe try the tin-foil trick that's in the Wiki/DIY section?

Good luck getting it sorted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it's been in for a code read now and come up as 'P2004 Intake Manifold Runner Control Valve, incorrect position'
The garage said they could run a test on the valve with their software and that it was fine, they cleared the code and it came back on about 2 days later.

This is where it gets a little odd. I couldn't take it back in again for a few days so I put another few hundred miles on it and the light went off on it's own. I took it back into the garage and they checked that it was the same code again and then cleared the old code. Next day it's back on again and I left it another few hundred miles and now it's gone off. I'm now waiting to see if it comes back again by itself.

I'm guessing that codes don't just go off from the dash if you ignore them after a period of time but it does feel like that is what's happened. I've read up a bit on IMRC and there does seem to be a few common faults.

If anyone has any pearls of wisdom for me that would be much appreciated.

Thanks
V

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue. When I booked an appointment with garage the light went off and came back again after few days.

I don't want to spend too much money on so bought an obd reader and cleared the code myself. Since then it is running fine.

Still I would like to know the cause of this issue.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,920 Posts
I have the same issue. When I booked an appointment with garage the light went off and came back again after few days.

I don't want to spend too much money on so bought an obd reader and cleared the code myself. Since then it is running fine.

Still I would like to know the cause of this issue.

Was it a P2004? Probably either a sticking IMRC assembly or its FSV actuator is becoming a bit leaky.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ya, it was P2004. Is there a way to identify which part is causing issue? I have been reading other forums and they suggested to replace IMRC Frequency Solenoid Valve.

·
Registered
7 Posts
mine comes on and basically goes hand in hand with not running a nice long hot run in a while to get the emission system hot enough to do ít's magic, then when there is a nice hot run it goes off and stays off.
what OBD reader will clear the code ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts