2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Getting a Tegiwa manifold fitted soon. As it says above. Is it best to wrap it or not? Don't know much about it so your opinions and reasons are most welcome.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Ceramic coating would be another option :)

http://rukse-com.hubpages.com/hub/Ceramic-Coating-vs-Heat-Wrap

http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/exhaust-wraps.php

http://www.zircotec.com/page/exhaust_system_coatings/60

Off the top of my head, the main negatives seem to be a slight decrease in exhaust life, I think the wrap itself degrades over time (something you won't get with ceramic), and the potential for hot spots to develop if it's not wrapped evenly. I'm no expert though :)

Where in the UK are you? There's a place in Warrington called Camcoat that done the Milltek manifold I had on my ST last year. They do a choice of finishes, from satin black (what I had) to chrome, and various colours. It was a cracking job too :)

They will also coat the inside of your manifold too if you'd like.

Hope that helps mate :)

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Hi dude,

I recently got a CPL manifold.

I don't know too much about the tegiwa, but the CPL does smell quite a lot and is very, very loud!

So i believe wrapping may be beneficial!
The smell could be a little bit of oil and grease residue from when it was handled and installed. I had the same with my last car after a manifold was fit.

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't live too far from Warrington. How much was is? What are the benefits to it then by keeping the heat down.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
I can't remember exactly, but £140 rings a bell. They had the manifold for 2 days I think it was.

After the research I done, the main benefits were:

- Reducing the temperature in the engine bay (Apparantely, performance manifolds run hotter) which ultimately helps reduce IAT's and stop any ancillary components getting too much hotter than usual (alternator for example), as this can be a problem on some cars.

- The exhaust gases are also supposed to flow better when hotter.

I don't know how much benefit I seen from the coating as the car was never put on a RR and/or compared to a similar ST without the coating. Would be nice to see the difference it may make on an FN2 though :)

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
I can't remember exactly, but £140 rings a bell. They had the manifold for 2 days I think it was.

- Reducing the temperature in the engine bay (Apparantely, performance manifolds run hotter) which ultimately helps reduce IAT's and stop any ancillary components getting too much hotter than usual (alternator for example), as this can be a problem on some cars.

- The exhaust gases are also supposed to flow better when hotter.

I don't know how much benefit I seen from the coating as the car was never put on a RR and/or compared to a similar ST without the coating. Would be nice to see the difference it may make on an FN2 though :)
Must help the open cone air filters steer clear of more heat soak than before tbh keeping the heat out of the engine bay can only be good for the car

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Must help the open cone air filters steer clear of more heat soak than before tbh keeping the heat out of the engine bay can only be good for the car
Definitely mate! I'm considering the RSK, with TDI's heat shield but get it coated if it's possible (whether that will make much difference), and possibly the intake pipe from the filter to the throttle body chrome coated too. Just an idea at the minute.

What ever manifold I fit I'll have coated too. Probably the Piper as I want a CAT :)

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts

- The exhaust gases are also supposed to flow better when hotter.:)
Agree with everything said above. And I have used Camcoat too and they were great. Re the ceramic sprays, they're helpful but of course, you can't coat the inside of the manifold... :(

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Hi Swalesy - I meant you can't coat the inside of the manifold when you use a spray can - ie DIY. You most definitely can if you use Camcoat :)

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
There is a big difference long term between wrapping and ceramic coating.
In theory both have same effect of keeping heat in, accelerating gas flow and reducing under bonnet temperatures which is all good and you will see gains but very small.
Downside is wrapping also tends to soak up moisture so can fatigue the joints/welds over time.

For me though it's a good thing to do an would have no hesitation of doing it to any manifolds or downpipes on my cars ;)

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Swalesy you got a name of this place in warrington? I bought a tegi manifold tonight and was thinking about getting it coated.

Cheers bud

1 - 20 of 28 Posts