2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I new to Honda's and am looking to buy a CTS-GT when I get back my Holiday in July. I have only driven a manual CTS and not the i-Shift however I am seriously considering one.

Does anyone have any advice on which is better? Or any recommendations?

Thanks for all the comments in advance :)

Dan

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
I have the 1.8 i-shift. Its good, but not flawless. Takes a while to get use.
I heard the 1.4 i-shift is a bit worst thou.

I've owned both Manual and Auto cars in the pass, i decide on the i-shift as its just so easy to drive, your leg wont get tired holding the clutch pedal in traffic jams. Be prepared to get some serious stick from guy mates, as they all think Auto/Semi-Autos are for girls.

Passengars who have never seen a Semi before are always intrigued as to why you dont change gear.

The only major downer is they dont do the 2.2 Diesel in i-shift. So if you opt for i-shift your stuck with 1.8 or 1.4 which doesnt give many options to tunning or remaps.

Also if you do plan on driving the i-shift in manual mode, the steering wheel paddles are useless as they turn with the steering wheel (so if the steering wheel is upside down, the paddles are the other way around).

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Also if you do plan on driving the i-shift in manual mode, the steering wheel paddles are useless as they turn with the steering wheel (so if the steering wheel is upside down, the paddles are the other way around).
A masterpiece of design:facepalm:

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
But you can also manually shift using the stick....lots of options. Not perfect but works ok as long as you have the latest software upgrade installed.

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
Hi,

I new to Honda's and am looking to buy a CTS-GT when I get back my Holiday in July. I have only driven a manual CTS and not the i-Shift however I am seriously considering one.

Dan

I have had my I-shift for over 4 years and I love it.
Remember it is an automated manual and not like the conventional automatic boxes. Some people don`t get on with it and slag it off and others like myself have learned the driving techniques to get the best out of it and get along fine with it both in it`s auto mode and it`s manual mode when you want to use it

It is a very flexible system and is very good regarding economy.

Before you decide make sure you take a long test drive to get used to the system and see whether it will suit you. It is the only way to really make you mind up but please do not listen to the negatives, do find out for yourself and make your own mind up.:D:D

·
cooks chix&b.bean sauce
1,399 Posts
I drove a Citroën c2 sensodrive for 7 years and loved it. But towards the end the Problems started appearing. Ended up being such a hassle to repair as it was too technical. I would defo opt for the manual.

All the major companies are all pulling out of these I shifts

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
I drove a Citroën c2 sensodrive for 7 years and loved it. But towards the end the Problems started appearing. Ended up being such a hassle to repair as it was too technical. I would defo opt for the manual.

All the major companies are all pulling out of these I shifts
But you can have problems with any transmission be it manual, semi auto or fully auto after 7 years.:confused:

·
cooks chix&b.bean sauce
1,399 Posts
Fair point. I would recommend manual still. Plus you can always pull away a little quicker at junctions/round abouts

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts

·
Administrator
21,143 Posts
It's not just the Honda i-shift that gets slated by the press (and owners), all the single clutch designs get bad reviews.

In my opinion, in auto mode they can be dangerous in some circumstances.

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
It's not just the Honda i-shift that gets slated by the press (and owners), all the single clutch designs get bad reviews.

In my opinion, in auto mode they can be dangerous in some circumstances.
I`ve never had a hairy moment in the 4 years with mine and all the local owners that I know love their ones as well so it still comes back to any potential owner to trying it for themselves and making their own minds up
:D:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers for all the comments.. I think that I am leaning for towards the manual.. I havre read on may occasions that the i-Shift can be dangerous when you need to pull away fast.. Lets face it... We all like to do that now and then ;).

Ill get some pics up when I finally buy one :D but in the mean time... Test drives all round!!!

·
Administrator
21,143 Posts
Pulling away fast is not the issue, it's actually quite good at that.

One of my main problems was pulling away normally. After being stationary at traffic lights for example, when it decides to change gear (1st to 2nd) it completely cuts power for a few seconds.
I had a few occasions where the following car thought I was playing games because I was deliberately slowing down with no brake lights. Caused a bit of road rage on occasions.

The main problem though was joining a roundabout where a little spurt of power was needed to squeeze in. No chance - a little bit of throttle cuts the power again and your gap has gone causing last minute heavy braking.

Trading in my i-shift was 'happy days' :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi,

Dan
I have just traded my i-Shift in against an automatic Fiesta and I got the impression that they are not easy to resell. The Honda dealer offered a derisory price against a Jazz CVT and when the main Ford dealer down the road asked them for a price they apparently said they wouldn't buy it!

The i-Shift has one advantage against other autos and that is its petrol consumption. That is its only plus point IMHO. It is not as nice to drive as a CVT or a conventional automatic. When you look at Honda's record with it you get the message.

Civic 1.8 - i-Shift now replaced by conventional auto
Jazz all models - MY12 available now with CVT auto and i-shift discontinued immediately.

Do a search on Honda used cars for Jazz auto and see how many i-shifts are stuck on dealers' forecourts.

I personally wouldn't buy into i-shift now as you are likely to lose £££'s when you try to sell it.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Pulling away fast is not the issue, it's actually quite good at that.

One of my main problems was pulling away normally. After being stationary at traffic lights for example, when it decides to change gear (1st to 2nd) it completely cuts power for a few seconds.
I had a few occasions where the following car thought I was playing games because I was deliberately slowing down with no brake lights. Caused a bit of road rage on occasions.

The main problem though was joining a roundabout where a little spurt of power was needed to squeeze in. No chance - a little bit of throttle cuts the power again and your gap has gone causing last minute heavy braking.

:)
Have a 2011 i-shift, covered 5000 miles and the car still comes up to roundabouts and junctions, where the car still stops moving whilst it decides what gear it wants to go in, very dangerous, people on here have said the car has to get used to your way of driving, I have driven most things from motorbikes, off road vehicles, autos manuals and multi-geared lorries and this has to be the worst transmission I have used, the dealer came out in the car with me and could not find any faults with the way I was driving and told me that the earlier i-shifts were even worse. :D

·
Administrator
21,143 Posts
Correct on all points :) I've also driven all manner of vehicles including a pre-select gearbox and that was bad enough.

What amazed me is that someone test drove that gearbox over presumably quite a few miles and passed it fit for purpose !

With this latest strive to be green I wonder if the next Civic will have a proper auto as an option? If not and they offer an upgraded i-shift then I'm out.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
I think its worth mentioning that there be a lot of people who are happy with their i-shifts that havent said anything, or are not car club members. But either way, its best you do a prolonged test drive yourself, over a variety of types of roads (small roads, round abouts, motorway etc)

Good luck

1 - 20 of 32 Posts