2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Honda Civic 1.6 I-DTEC SR
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do the map updates work with Honda? I bought my 66 plate SR from Honda last September. Should I be getting any ongoing free updates? Or are they paid for? Are they DIY? Or does Honda need to do the updates?

Cheers

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,703 Posts
2016 66 plate (Sep on) means you should be able to update your mapping via Garmin Express and a USB stick. Don't wait though because at 5 years, Sep this year, that's it.

You can't even buy updates once the 5 years is up.

There are quite a few existing posts here how to do it

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2016 66 plate (Sep on) means you should be able to update your mapping via Garmin Express and a USB stick. Don't wait though because at 5 years, Sep this year, that's it.

You can't even buy updates once the 5 years is up.

There are quite a few existing posts here how to do it
Cheers, my car's going into Honda this week for some recall work 'excess sulphur accumulation inside the catalyst' which I've read about on here so I'll ask them to update the maps while they're doing that.

I see, so once the 5 years are up you're stuck with no further updates, same story as anything else I guess, to force you into buying a whole new car instead! They don't want to make the ongoing experience too good on older cars.....

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yes, the Garmin satnav has been a disappointment in terms of map updates.

Even a 10 year BMW can be easily (and freely with a bit of technical knowhow) updated with the latest maps

I'm going to make sure my next car can use Waze or Google maps using CarPlay / AndroidAuto then the whole issue of map updates goes away

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cheers, my car's going into Honda this week for some recall work 'excess sulphur accumulation inside the catalyst' which I've read about on here so I'll ask them to update the maps while they're doing that.

I see, so once the 5 years are up you're stuck with no further updates, same story as anything else I guess, to force you into buying a whole new car instead! They don't want to make the ongoing experience too good on older cars.....
You may find they will charge you to do it, my local dealer charges £45 as it takes a while. If there were any updates available for mine (it's over 5 years old so can't be updated) I'd do it myself as it doesn't look hard as long as you have a USB stick.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You may find they will charge you to do it, my local dealer charges £45 as it takes a while. If there were any updates available for mine (it's over 5 years old so can't be updated) I'd do it myself as it doesn't look hard as long as you have a USB stick.
If there's a charge I will do it myself. So what dictates the 5-year obsolescence? Honda? The Garmin software? Why would they stop the updates after 5 years if they could sell them?

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,703 Posts
I would guess that historically very few map sales have occured so they just don't do them.

At circa £270 I certainly wouldn't pay for a new map when few roads have changed. If they'd used some common sense and reduced that to about £30 then I'd have probably gone for one and most likely would 10+ others so they'd have had more hits and more revenue. Broken business model.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If there's a charge I will do it myself. So what dictates the 5-year obsolescence? Honda? The Garmin software? Why would they stop the updates after 5 years if they could sell them?
I spoke to Garmin who told me to talk to Honda, who told me to talk to Garmin. Honda customer services then told me that the dealer could sell me a new map, but my local dealer told me all they could do was follow the standard procedure, and as no maps are showing as available they wouldn't be able to do it. I went back to Honda customer services who have sent me the procedure to update so we're going round in circles. I'm now waiting to hear back again. I'm guessing that Honda and Garmin need to get together and agree a scheme. My wife has a 2010 Megane with Renault's Carminat system which is powered by TomTom. We can still buy updated maps at £50 a pop from TomTom, so a bit dear but worth doing every couple of years.

As I've now loaded Waze onto my Connect unit I'm not too worried that I can't update the factory system (mine's still running 2015 maps as the previous owner never updated it), but I am pursuing it with Honda as it's the principal of the matter.

Of course the annoying thing about all of this is that around 6 years ago I spent about £100 on a stand alone TomTom unit that has lifetime map upgrades included, but whoever bought my car brand new (and my wife's Renault) spent a lot more than that to get a Satnav in their car and doesn't get the updates for life.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I spoke to Garmin who told me to talk to Honda, who told me to talk to Garmin. Honda customer services then told me that the dealer could sell me a new map, but my local dealer told me all they could do was follow the standard procedure, and as no maps are showing as available they wouldn't be able to do it. I went back to Honda customer services who have sent me the procedure to update so we're going round in circles. I'm now waiting to hear back again. I'm guessing that Honda and Garmin need to get together and agree a scheme. My wife has a 2010 Megane with Renault's Carminat system which is powered by TomTom. We can still buy updated maps at £50 a pop from TomTom, so a bit dear but worth doing every couple of years.

As I've now loaded Waze onto my Connect unit I'm not too worried that I can't update the factory system (mine's still running 2015 maps as the previous owner never updated it), but I am pursuing it with Honda as it's the principal of the matter.

Of course the annoying thing about all of this is that around 6 years ago I spent about £100 on a stand alone TomTom unit that has lifetime map upgrades included, but whoever bought my car brand new (and my wife's Renault) spent a lot more than that to get a Satnav in their car and doesn't get the updates for life.
Blimey, you're being given the run around by the sound of it. You wouldn't have thought it would be a grey area.

I'd consider using Waze, I'm not that impressed with the Garmin system having used Google Maps on my phone previously and it seems like a backwards step. Waze is supposed to be really good. That's on the headunit already is it? or available to install? (I've had my car a while now but haven't really dug into the head unit apart from the basics) I still do use the Google Maps audio because it's routes are a lot better, the Garmin just catches up with it when I take a turn not on the Garmin route so it's pretty pointless.

the recall work my car is going in for is a 'while you wait' job so I'll have some time to speak with someone at Honda tomorrow. Hopefully I will get some answers. I'll post how I get on.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'd be amazed if you got anywhere with a dealer regarding map updates. They'll just tell you to use Garmin Express and if there's no update available then that's it

But if you do get any further information please post it here :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd be amazed if you got anywhere with a dealer regarding map updates. They'll just tell you to use Garmin Express and if there's no update available then that's it

But if you do get any further information please post it here :)
So.... The recall work was done no problem, was hoping for a cheeky car wash too but wasn't offered one, I guess it takes a service for that. They wanted to charge me £45 to do the map so I politely declined and said I'd have a go. I asked him whether updates would only be available to me for 5 years and he said no and just to keep checking for new updates. I take this with a huge pinch of salt and an example of the varying amounts of knowledge/bulls**t levels different salesmen have. I didn't want to say 'I've read on a forum you only get 5 years' so I just said 'that's great thanks' and let it there... So I'm no further down the update road, I'll have a read up on here and give it a go over the weekend hopefully. I will keep checking sporadically, if there's updates I'll do them, if they stop, they stop. To be fair 99% of my journeys are to places I don't need satnav for and I'm sure it'd get me there for the other 1%. Google maps traffic monitoring/rerouting is the most useful thing for me so the Garmin that's in the car will never be able to match what's on my phone no matter how new the maps are. Android auto is what I really want on the head unit.

While I mention salesman, The salesman I had when I bought by car was absolutely awful, he was a 'yeah yeah that will get sorted' merchant, but not actually do any of it. I'd fell in love with car before I got there so I he might've picked up on that and thought he didn't need to bother. Never responded to my emails requesting the most basic information. Eventually I had to do a 'Karen' and asked to deal with the manager, at which point I got everything sorted immediately, Including a new master cylinder for the clutch as it was squeaking. The salesman had told me they'd 'greased it up' which was nonsense as it was still squeaking and clearly needed replacement parts. Had the manager not stepped in I'd have written them a real sh***y review somewhere. He lent me a 10g while they waited for the parts to arrive which ended up being a fortnight but it was nice driving the 10g, although I didn't want to delve too far into its features for fear of my 9g feeling 'outdated' once I'd picked it up ha!..... Anyway not sure where that rant came from, maybe I should've written that review and got it off my chest then!

·
Super Moderator
2,634 Posts
its easy to do the updates if you got any left
just need to find the right guide
my local dealer wont do them as they claim there internet isnt strong enough

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,703 Posts
Their internet isn't strong enough :ROFLMAO:

The map update, high level, involves downloading data from the headunit to a small(ish) USB stick. Take the stick indoors and let Garmin Express identify it as you 'add a new device'

Then Garmin Express will advise if there is an update or not.

The download, depending on internet speed, takes from 30 mins to 2 hours, will be more with dialup.

Then it's back to the car and update.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Their internet isn't strong enough :ROFLMAO:

The map update, high level, involves downloading data from the headunit to a small(ish) USB stick. Take the stick indoors and let Garmin Express identify it as you 'add a new device'

Then Garmin Express will advise if there is an update or not.

The download, depending on internet speed, takes from 30 mins to 2 hours, will be more with dialup.

Then it's back to the car and update.
Cheers mate, doesn’t sound too bad. I will give that a crack soon.

that dealers not on dialup are they? Not heard that term in ages haha

·
Registered
28 Posts
hey guys i just processed the update quite easily, after checking the age of my car was under 5 years old. (66 plate)
Honda Navigation Updates (garmin.com)
  • format a usb stick to 16Gb FAT32 * (16000Mb) *the size is important do not make it any bigger/smaller.
  • nip out to the car and plug it into one of the usb ports (remove any others for now)
  • open the sat nav and go to update
  • it will pop up a window stating it has saved details on your usb stick and go to www.garmin.com etc
  • remove usb stick and taker it indoors, plug it into the pc.
  • grab Garmin Express for windows (Honda Navigation Map Update | Honda Civic 2016 | Garmin Support )
  • install it and run.
  • it will check your usb stick, and find the xml file the head unit placed ina folder in the root called Garmin
  • if there is a map update it will show you the details and your expiry date of free updates.
  • register if you want notified of map updates.
  • the app will now build the bootable usb stick to update the maps etc.
  • Once the usb stick is completed, take to car and plug back in to same usb port.
  • switch on accessory mode
  • open sat nav
  • go to settings\Update map
  • Head unit will now load the image update to the garmin sat nav.

I got a 2021 date update, much better, no more driving alongside existing motorways anymore :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey guys i just processed the update quite easily, after checking the age of my car was under 5 years old. (66 plate)
Honda Navigation Updates (garmin.com)
  • format a usb stick to 16Gb FAT32 * (16000Mb) *the size is important do not make it any bigger/smaller.
  • nip out to the car and plug it into one of the usb ports (remove any others for now)
  • open the sat nav and go to update
  • it will pop up a window stating it has saved details on your usb stick and go to www.garmin.com etc
  • remove usb stick and taker it indoors, plug it into the pc.
  • grab Garmin Express for windows (Honda Navigation Map Update | Honda Civic 2016 | Garmin Support )
  • install it and run.
  • it will check your usb stick, and find the xml file the head unit placed ina folder in the root called Garmin
  • if there is a map update it will show you the details and your expiry date of free updates.
  • register if you want notified of map updates.
  • the app will now build the bootable usb stick to update the maps etc.
  • Once the usb stick is completed, take to car and plug back in to same usb port.
  • switch on accessory mode
  • open sat nav
  • go to settings\Update map
  • Head unit will now load the image update to the garmin sat nav.

I got a 2021 date update, much better, no more driving alongside existing motorways anymore :)

Good luck!
mate, that's great thanks for this. I will definitely be following this and giving it a go. Quick question though, What is, and how to do you enable 'accessory mode'?

cheers

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,703 Posts
Accessory mode is just one turn of the ignition key.

Unless you have keyless, then I've no idea.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts