2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

massive banging noise finally sorted

Suspension 
2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  cookieandmilk 
#1 ·
I have just taken my 56 plate 1.8 es back from SB HONDA after about 6 attempts and the banging noise has gone.

The story is as follow:

When i first picked up the car in Nov I was driving round with the music loud and did not notoce any noise. by december when going over some uneven surfaces I could heard quite a loud vibration/banging noise from the front nearside.
i took it back under warranty but they did not hear the noise so this was followed up by two more visits (the third i took someone out for a test drive). The noise was intermittent and did not occure when the outside temp was cold. In feb in mild weather the noise was luckily heard by a mechanic who then ordered a new spring and shock for the front nearside. This was covered under warranty however they refused to change the front offside despite it being best practice as this side was 'working'.
two minute after leaving the garage it banged again. The car was taken back and they then changed the 'D-LINK' (i think?) under warranty on the one side. Two minutes after leaving the garage BANG.
I took it to an independant garage who could not find any problems but booked back in at SB HONDA.
I then put something in the glove box and it made a vibration noise alothough much quieter. I then covered several miles whilst driving and holding the inside of the glove box down and there was no noise.
I infoormed the garage whwen it went in and guess what - 1 screw was lose causing the inside of the glove box to vibrate loud enough to make the mechanics and myself think it was another honda dodgy shocker.

I am very happy the car is now not banging but i will now have to pay to get the other shocker and spring changed and i have wasted several half days off work taking the car to and from the garage. Still I am getting 42mpg on my commute to work as opposed to 32 in my old golf!

See less See more
#3 ·
Cookieandmilk .. Just a word of advice, i bought my car from SB Honda back in 2007, they were second to none when they were making my sale, however when it came to my dodgy shockers they just refused blank to play ball, they did infact explain to me that after paying £19,980 my shocker was infact broken, but not broken enough to be written off under warranty. They suggested that I wait until the shocker got alot worse and return the car for another look...
Not what I wanted to hear after spending £20k..."it's broken, but not yet broken enough".
I've since used Stratstone Honda on Whitehall Rd in Leeds and they now fixed my Shockers, sorted many other niggles and are currently ordering me a brand new set of 18" alloys under the warranty as they found bubbles in the spokes whilst in for a service last week. Pleased to say the least!
Just some friendly advice, you may not wish to bother changing dealers but i do find it a responsibility to name and shame accross these boards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.