2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice now, in my excitement to get the car into VTEC in 2nd gear to pass slow traffic, I seem to forget to change gear and end up hitting the limiter which costs me vital seconds in passing.

Either I'm totally oblivious to everything other than passing ASAP and the thrill of VTEC, or it doesn't take long at all to hit the top of the rev range in 2nd.
It's caught me off gaurd both times so quickly, I forget to look at my speed and the rev indicator LEDs.

How does everyone else handle this acceleration scenario without constantly watching the rev counter and/or indicators?

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2nd gears top speed is what?
100km/h

But i do tend to do this in 1st as its top speed is 50km/h
So that equals about 62MPH?
I guess I could have hit that in 2nd but it felt lightning quick getting there. Felt like about 35MPH -rev limit in about 2.5 seconds.

Maybe I just need we more practise. :)

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
You can usually tell by the engine note.
If not the rev leds are your best indicator as you can still look ahead on the road.

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VTEC is like kung fu

You have to listen and feel the tec in your heart, only when you truly are at one with the tec, will you know without looking when is the right time...
LMAO! Sounds like I'll 'master' it with practise. :)

You can usually tell by the engine note.
If not the rev leds are your best indicator as you can still look ahead on the road.
Something else I need to practise...keeping aware of the indicator while watching the road.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Kind of related... will dropping down to 2nd or 1st from lets say 4th at 50-60mph damage it? and another stupid question is skipping gears ok?

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Kind of related... will dropping down to 2nd or 1st from lets say 4th at 50-60mph damage it? and another stupid question is skipping gears ok?
To 2nd you will be just on the red line, better to choose 3rd at this speed if you are going to drop down. To 1st you will buzz the engine which is when the valves and the pistons touch, that will damage the engine.

·
Premium Member
20,382 Posts
VTEC is like kung fu

You have to listen and feel the tec in your heart, only when you truly are at one with the tec, will you know without looking when is the right time...
This is actually very true for every car.... If you know your car your ears tell you when to change

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

·
B16 OJR
1,015 Posts
VTEC is like kung fu

Thats amazing but so true!! you have to feel it and be one with the TEC you shall master it my young padawan

many practices this boy needs

·
LOUD NOISES!!!
5,369 Posts
You'll get the hang of it. :)

For me the trick is to keep an eye on the shift lights which increases in pairs, once the last two are lit you only have a fraction of a second on full throttle before you bounce off the limiter. As the last pair light, I chance.

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats amazing but so true!! you have to feel it and be one with the TEC you shall master it my young padawan

many practices this boy needs
LOL I am but the Apprentice and you are all my Masters. :)

You'll get the hang of it. :)

For me the trick is to keep an eye on the shift lights which increases in pairs, once the last two are lit you only have a fraction of a second on full throttle before you bounce off the limiter. As the last pair light, I chance.
Thanks mate, I think that's where my problem lies.
I presume I'm not damaging the engine by hitting the limiter. I guess that's why it's there, to protect it.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
LOL I am but the Apprentice and you are all my Masters. :)

Thanks mate, I think that's where my problem lies.
I presume I'm not damaging the engine by hitting the limiter. I guess that's why it's there, to protect it.

Thanks.

AFAIK you won't damage the engine at all by bouncing it off the limiter. What you need to avoid is a sudden downshift or 'buzzing' the engine as there is no protection on the way down. Also once you have mastered up shifts the CTR's wonderful engine and gearbox combo makes for super sweet rev match downshifts straight into VTEC :police:

·
Grumpy Old Git ;)
362 Posts
This is actually very true for every car.... If you know your car your ears tell you when to change

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
True, and if you can't learn and understand what the gearbox is for. You should not be driving.

Hitting the limiter in my opinion is just a school boy error!

Sent from my phone!

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
True, and if you can't learn and understand what the gearbox is for. You should not be driving.

Hitting the limiter in my opinion is just a school boy error!
LOL Pure harsh, but true. It is a school boy error.
I'm sure I'll get it. It's only 2nd that causes me the problems.

I'm still not completely used to having all the power in the high rev range having come from a turbo diesel. :)

·
UKDM
779 Posts
I hope you dont need us to tell you that putting it in 1st at 50 will not be good as 1st tops out around 25.

You cant be scared of dropping a couple of gears in a CTR though its how its supposed to be driven but need to get your maths right and know roughly the max speed for each gear.

Skipping gears is fine on a modern gearbox, all the fuel saving websites recommend it for economy

1 - 20 of 39 Posts