2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MICU Electrical Issues

Hi all

We have 2006 1.8L EX civic in the family which has started to give us problems.

We bought the car last year and when we bought it, it didn't used to start (clicks) but was ok using jump starters.

We decided to change the battery and earth leads,march last year, since then it has been fine if being driven everyday, when we leave it for a few days the battery goes dead and does not start, just clicks.

Since then we left it for a over 3 days and the battery went totally dead and needed jump. my brother jumped it but left keys in ignition and now its flashing green key, we then decided to use multi meter and find out why it was draining and turned out to be bluetooh unit, we disconnected it as well as the siren as it used to sound as soon as battery was connected.

We managed to get it towed to local Honda as i read from posts, the keys need to be recoding.

Now after 4 days of it sitting there, they managed to recode the keys but are saying that the when the keys are withdrawn the immobiliser loses the key that are programmed and they cant understand why.

Today they rang and told us after they have contacted Honda technical the MICU seems to be faulty, they will put another MICU in and check the keys.

Could this be the case, Im reluctant to believe them but i don't understand why or how the MICU could go all of a sudden.

Any replys or comments would be very much appreciated,
little upset as the car is nice

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,879 Posts
There was an almost identical issue reported a while back, BUT for later Civic models...
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/bugs-faults-irritations/35919-honda-civic-fuse-box-micu-recall-3.html
Bulletins & Advisories - Product Update : Battery drain due to MICU software failure
Maybe your car has been fitted with a later MICU at some time in its life?

I'm aware of several Accords suffering MICU problems, but only after the wiring looms have been interfered with...
Engine & Gearbox - car won´t start efter headunit replacment
Electrical & Lights - Electrical Gremlins
Have you done any work on the wiring?

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
It's a well documented issue.
When the battery drains or is jump started with the key in; the MICU 'forgets' the key.

I had the issue at one point (on an '06), I used a "Launch" system reader to reset the MICU unit and link the key codes again.
This took a couple of mins but requires a professional grade reader, the dealer will have a "HDS" that will be able to do this.
-No idea why it would take them 4days to do this though.

If it's not holding codes after the above; it could have been damaged when you jumped it with the key in.

Reactions: ifti

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a well documented issue.
When the battery drains or is jump started with the key in; the MICU 'forgets' the key.

I had the issue at one point (on an '06), I used a "Launch" system reader to reset the MICU unit and link the key codes again.
This took a couple of mins but requires a professional grade reader, the dealer will have a "HDS" that will be able to do this.
-No idea why it would take them 4days to do this though.

If it's not holding codes after the above; it could have been damaged when you jumped it with the key in.
Thanks for the reply. They were very busy cause of the bank holiday so said they couldn't look at it but said if they did get time on the day I booked it then they would ,else after the weekend.

They are going to try a micu and let me know. I feel maybe the micu is damaged as the alarm used to sound as soon as it the charged battery was plugged in. They recoded the keys and it started fine it's just not storing the keys after they are removed.

Thanks again for the replys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts