2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a mk 8 2006 civic 1.8 i-vtec EX 6 speed and I need to replace the gearbox. I have found one from a mk 8 2008 civic 1.8 i-vtec Type S GT 6 speed will it fit in my civic? Don't want to buy it and find out it won't fit 馃槀
Thx all

i-Vtec
Welcome to Civinfo.

Yes it will fit. Same engine. You may find the ratios are different to your EX though. If you dont mind me asking whats wrong with your old one, never heard of a Box failure here.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx for the info 馃憤 the issue with the old one is the synchromesh and linkages for second gear are gone to referb the box I'm looking at the best part of 拢1200 but I've found one for 拢220 with free delivery to my mechanics garage

The main problem is it won't go fully in to second when changing down from third or fourth I have to double clutch to force it in and even then it crunches in or will refuse to slot in altogether.

i-Vtec
Ok daft question but you have tried a Gearbox Oil change? Most civic boxes are like this because the oil is thinner than tracing paper. I had a very notchy box, 2nd especially, and changing the oil for the proper Honda MTF3 worked wonders. Its a 75k service interval but really it should be 30K. Have you changed the clutch fluid too?

i-Vtec
Also where about does your clutch pedal engage? The clutch pedal can have a squeak, people adjust the pedal so there is not a lot of travel to remove this squeak, this can also cause issues with gear selection.

Registered
I'll add as well check the slave cylinder isn't leaking by pulling the boot back (fiddly to put back on) and bleed the clutch also. Just because you said you had to double clutch

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx for the advice guys I'll head out tomorrow weather permitting and take a look at the slave cylinder. Is there an easy way of checking the gearbox oil? Regarding the clutch I need to replace it as it's not got much life left didn't want to do it until I could fix the gearing issue to keeps costs low-ish 馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh sorry my Machanic said it's not got much life left when it was serviced last month just going by what he said.

Premium Member
Did he have the box out? It's the only way of knowing how much 'meat' a friction disk has left.
Having said that, IMHO it would deffo be false economy NOT to change at least the friction disc whilst you have rh box out.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The box wasn't out no. He took the car out for a test run to see if he could get the same issue I was having, he said the clutch was biting very high up almost with little depression of the pedal and would be worth replacing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts