2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The prospect of changing my CTR to a newer hot hatch is playing on my mind, I guess I'm just wondering if the grass is greener kinda thing...

Have yet to test drive the Renault, but want some opinions of those who have.

If you believe the motoring press this hot hatch is cream of the crop, but top gear slated the CTR and yet I love it. So, is the car much better than the R and is it reliable? Had a Clio a few years ago and it had multiple unresolved problems when I got rid of it.

K

·
Administrator
15,507 Posts
The prospect of changing my CTR to a newer hot hatch is playing on my mind, I guess I'm just wondering if the grass is greener kinda thing...

Have yet to test drive the Renault, but want some opinions of those who have.

If you believe the motoring press this hot hatch is cream of the crop, but top gear slated the CTR and yet I love it. So, is the car much better than the R and is it reliable? Had a Clio a few years ago and it had multiple unresolved problems when I got rid of it.

K
Hi mate, I have the rs250 after owning a ctr too. All I can say is that it's brilliant, performance, handling, looks, everything tbh. As you say it has been up against most hot hatch rivals and it still comes out on top against them all. Take one out mate and you will know your decision ;)

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
I own a type r and used to work in a Renault dealer driving the rs on a near enough daily basis. Buy the Renault and never look back mate:cool:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like the rs is quite a big deal then.
Aside from first impressions etc, what are they like on a day to day basis?
I'd be getting the cup chasis if at all, since I want the LSD and sport suspension; suspension as crashy as the R?
Renault reliability-should I be concerned at all?
Performance aside, does the rs drink fuel? I average about 33 in the CTR

Cheers

K

·
Administrator
15,507 Posts
Sounds like the rs is quite a big deal then.
Aside from first impressions etc, what are they like on a day to day basis?
I'd be getting the cup chasis if at all, since I want the LSD and sport suspension; suspension as crashy as the R?
Renault reliability-should I be concerned at all?
Performance aside, does the rs drink fuel? I average about 33 in the CTR

Cheers

K
I have the non cup as I'm a bit older;) so went for the heated leather seats etc. it's very comfortable and no where near a back breaker as the ctr . All the issues of reliability were more on the old shape mk2, this is a whole new different car with no problems from what I've read. I've had mine for 7 months now with not one fault. As for mpg, slightly lower as I'm averaging 28-30

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
My cousin has a full fat 250 and he's averaging 22 mpg but its an amazing car and i would have one in a heartbeat. chassis is best out there by a mile and if you blufin them its an rs beater in every department

·
Administrator
15,507 Posts
My cousin has a full fat 250 and he's averaging 22 mpg but its an amazing car and i would have one in a heartbeat. chassis is best out there by a mile and if you blufin them its an rs beater in every department
Ooh 22mpg, I guess he thrashes it everywhere he goes then :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New megane RS is a seriously good car.

I would have it (if i could afford it)
I've seen a few RS 250s on autotrader in a price bracket I would consider, so I'm going to phone around a few dealerships to establish the lay of the land as regards p/x...

Thanks for your responses!

·
Administrator
15,507 Posts
I've seen a few RS 250s on autotrader in a price bracket I would consider, so I'm going to phone around a few dealerships to establish the lay of the land as regards p/x...

Thanks for your responses!
dont expect too much for yours, you may be in foa a shock

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
dont expect too much for yours, you may be in foa a shock
Have renault sorted their electrics out then??

I always heard people moaning about the old megane and 197's.

I will always hold a soft spot for the rs range. Probably the only decent french hot hatch.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
BoInG BoInG
1,370 Posts
I traded my type r in for a megane 250 on Thursaday, will do a full write up on Tuesday when I'm back at work.

Initial impressions are out of this world especially in terms of handling and braking. Feels faster then my 240 bhp type r and power is constantly on tap. Ignore the 'French crap' haters ^^, everyone has their own opinions. I loved my type r like a child, but proof is in the pudding I have not looked back in my short ownership thus far.

Plus, there's a much better base to start with tuning wise with the turbo :)

I purchased the megane without test driving and did a 8.5hrs round trip to get her from Scotland. Was well worth it!

As I said I'll do a write up early next week with pics etc based on my opinions and experiences.

·
Premium Member
6,562 Posts
I traded my type r in for a megane 250 on Thursaday, will do a full write up on Tuesday when I'm back at work.

Initial impressions are out of this world especially in terms of handling and braking. Feels faster then my 240 bhp type r and power is constantly on tap. Ignore the 'French crap' haters ^^, everyone has their own opinions. I loved my type r like a child, but proof is in the pudding I have not looked back in my short ownership thus far.

Plus, there's a much better base to start with tuning wise with the turbo :)

I purchased the megane without test driving and did a 8.5hrs round trip to get her from Scotland. Was well worth it!

As I said I'll do a write up early next week with pics etc based on my opinions and experiences.
Aw Luke😢 did I hurt your feelings :(

I'm a bit biased though lol :D

Great chassis and track car for sure just not for moi.

👿THE BITCH👿

·
Registered
684 Posts
The renault hot hatches are really good these days in terms of performance and looks and if you were getting one brand new, or still in warranty then I would say go for it.

However despite all their performance, theres no denying renault and many french cars in general still aint the best in terms of reliability and faults. So out of warranty period there is no way I would want to own one as I want total confidence. Its a shame, and its exactly the same with Alfas, I liked the 147 GTA but ownership put me off too.

Sure the Hondas aint the best in terms of build quality and may get a few niggles and creaks, but the K20 engine is one of the most bombproof engines there is and it gives me total confidence.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts