2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I recently noticed that my 2009 Civic Type-R was making a metal-on-metal scraping noise whenever I turned right (Only when the steering wheel was turned more than 270 degrees clockwise).

Am I right in presuming it is not the brakes, as the noise continues if I brake hard?

I took it into Bradford Stratstone, where they told me it was scored discs - but when I got it back the noise was 10 times worse, and now present when I'm driving in a straight line (It only stops when I turn left now - and I can't just drive left all the time!!), wish I had never took it to them, was originally a little niggle, now folk stare at me when I drive past!!

I can't see or feel any marks on the discs, and the noise doesn't stop when brakes applied, and now its worse!! Does what I've been told sound right? or could it be something else?

Any advice would be great!

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
It does sound like a worn pad but why didn't the dealer spot that? It's most probably the inside pad (the one you can't see) :(

·
Peanut butter and Jelly
314 Posts
+1

sounds exactly like a low pad.. they're designed to embarrass you into buying new ones - and no I'm not joking!

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
+3

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So you guys think it's worn pad, not scored disc as dealer suggested?

Would that still make the noise vary with direction of wheels? In that case wouldn't the noise stop when I brake?

Couldn't be the odd guard thing behind the disc catching on something? Sounds quite tinny...

·
Big T
1,554 Posts
if you can whip the wheel off and have a look mate that would be easiest.......if you brake with worn pads the sound will get worse.

·
Mugenised CR-Z GT
502 Posts
Thats low pads mate, if you leave it long enough the scraper snaps off and you go metal to metal, honda happiness for front brake pads and discs is £260 inc vat, if its only pads then you only need £100

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On griffins advice, I decided to jack it up to investigate a bit more, tried pulling the flimsy guard thing towards me, spun wheel, big rattle! Pushed it away, spun wheel, much better!!

Just been for a test drive and all sounding perfect now!! Cheers all for quick input - hope this helps someone else one day!!

·
Big T
1,554 Posts
Nice one mate glad you sorted out. ;):D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts