2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

Noticed that my car has a methane/rotten egg smell from the exhaust. Not really apparent when driving forward (most of the time it's not there), but when I reverse it gets really bad (gagging bad).

I can confirm that it's not there when going forward (sometimes it is, rarely though), because I tried driving forward a meter or 2, then running to the rear of the car to see if the smell is there.

When repeating the same test but reversing instead, the smell is awful.

Does anyone else have this issue? Do you think my cat might be busted? Or could it be something else.

A bit about the car:

FN2R 2007
Kms - 75,000km
Fuel - Shell V-Power or BP ultimate

Recently bought this car second hand, and got a mechanic to check it out. The smell wasn't apparent/noticed at the time. Engine seems healthy. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice to hear that you guys think it might be the cat as well. It's a bit strange though, I've never had an OEM Honda cat die, let alone at only 75,000kms? Has anyone else had their one die?

Also, could using E10 kill the catalytic converter? Previous owner did mention that she always used 98 ron petrol, but did run E10 for a few tanks when she lost her job then found out she shouldn't so changed back...

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
I would say its the cat I've followed some right stinky cars in the past.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Sounds like the cat. Back in the old days when cats were just being introduced, if you planted your foot the interior of the car would be swamped with a bad egg smell.

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
There was a member in here who's CTR failed its emission standards test ...

He thought he was looking at a new Lambda Sensor and \ or Catalytic Convertor (expensive fixes) ...

He first tried running a can of BG 44K through the engine, and the emissions went back to normal ! ...

So, if I were you - before trying anything expensive - I'd go for a can or two of BG 44K ...

Reactions: androo

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Or just decat your car! problem solved lol! Im sure Mr Paul West can help with a good Toda System :D

·
9,228 Posts
Or just decat your car! problem solved lol! Im sure Mr Paul West can help with a good Toda System :D
Now, that will fail the emissions test at MoT time !!! ...

The BG 44K and \ or BG 203 CF5 should definitely help - it has for others ...

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Now, that will fail the emissions test at MoT time !!! ...

The BG 44K and \ or BG 203 CF5 should definitely help - it has for others ...
Of course!

But no more smell ha ha!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome I'll give some BG 44K a go this weekend and let you guys all know. Thanks for all the responses. Was planning to go get the cat checked out and possibly replaced this weekend, but hopefully this fixes the issue.

Pretty embarrassing pulling up somewhere with people staring at the car (not that many FN2R's driving around Aussie-land), then I reverse into a parking spot and my car let's out a giant fart... Can see people looking around wondering '***'.

·
9,228 Posts
Awesome I'll give some BG 44K a go this weekend and let you guys all know. Thanks for all the responses. Was planning to go get the cat checked out and possibly replaced this weekend, but hopefully this fixes the issue.

Pretty embarrassing pulling up somewhere with people staring at the car (not that many FN2R's driving around Aussie-land), then I reverse into a parking spot and my car let's out a giant fart... Can see people looking around wondering '***'.
You use the BG 44K the first time (if it's really bad, you might need 2 cans, for 2 tanks in a row) - the BG CF5 is for 'maintenance' therafter - although I usually alternate between them, with a can of one or the other every couple of months or so ...

Once the engine and fuel system and 'cat' etc. are clean, you should notice that the engine is perkier, smoother, and quiter - and hopefully, your car won't smell like a camel that just binged on beans ! ...

Reactions: androo

·
everythings upsy daisy.
1,442 Posts
There was a member in here who's CTR failed its emission standards test ...

He thought he was looking at a new Lambda Sensor and \ or Catalytic Convertor (expensive fixes) ...

He first tried running a can of BG 44K through the engine, and the emissions went back to normal ! ...

So, if I were you - before trying anything expensive - I'd go for a can or two of BG 44K ...

you on commission DJR.... or do you make the stuff lol ;)

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Usually extra reason for this is too much sulfur in petrol.

·
9,228 Posts
you on commission DJDR.... or do you make the stuff lol ;)
It was [Relic] who started all this ! - I thought "I'll give a go", and hey presto, it worked - completely different to stuff like 'Redex' ...

I was actually sitting in TDi-North, when [TypeSGT4me] got the bad news, but he then decided to try BG 44K first - saved him a good few hundred quid ...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You will notice a bad smell after you've caned it!
Tried driving it hard last night. After full throttle through 1st and 2nd gear, I stopped on the side of the road and ran to the back on the car. I couldn't smell anything (but might have let out a huge trail of fart - can't be certain of this). I did this with the window open so at least if there is a smell, I can't smell it from the inside while driving.

Not saying the cat has died.

The smell can be emitted anytime. I have known it to be more prevalent on new cars. Has your car had a new cat fitted before you bought it?
I just checked last night, and the exhaust is OEM and the cat looks the same age as the rest of the exhaust. But thanks for pointing this out, didn't even think to see if it might have gotten a new cat.

Usually extra reason for this is too much sulfur in petrol.
I thought it might have been a fuel problem, so I tried changing fuels (from BP Ultimate to Shell V-Power - Both 98 ron). It's been about 3-4 tanks of V-Power. I did notice that the smell is not there as much using V-Power. But it's still very prominent when I reverse. Not there when driving normally. A after a hard drive I can't smell anything.
Haven't tried any other fuels and I don't know what fuels the previous owner used, but she said she always used premium except a few times she ran on E10 because there wasn't any premium around (she lives towards the bush with all the kangaroos).

Thanks all! Any other ideas please let me know. As for BG 44K, will be calling around like crazy trying to find a place that sells this magic potion try it this weekend.

·
9,228 Posts
BG 44K - powerenhancer.com

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BG 44K - powerenhancer.com
Link doesn't work? Did you mean powerenhancer.co.uk?

I will order it from this site if I can't find it locally. Would prefer to get it and use it ASAP but if I have no choice will definitely order it in.

Wow much dearer than expected... But if it fixes the problem I saved money already! Fingers crossed!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts