2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had an Mfactory LSD fitted in a non-LSD Fn2 and I have to say it really is amazing. The car feels so much better in the corners and even just accelerating of the line. It's the first mod I have ever gotten on any car and now I'm already thinking of what's next haha.

I just wanted to say I'm really grateful this forum exists, it really helped me make this decision.

·
Registered
2010 Milano Red FN2 Type R GT #R22063
191 Posts
I bet that wasn't cheap! I'm glad you're happy with it though. From what I've seen of back-to-back testing, the concensus is that had the FN2 sold from the factory with an LSD right from the start (Championship White and the last couple of years got it as standard, but not the rest) it would have been better received than it was versus the outgoing EP3.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I think I must drive like a pensioner...

Got an LSD fitted to my other car last Summer and I notice almost no difference other than less wheelspin when moving off when it's wet. Car is FWD also and it's a Quaife one.

What else characterises having one?

Said other car has a load of torque too :whistle:

·
Registered
2010 Milano Red FN2 Type R GT #R22063
191 Posts
You're already seeing the most obvious benefit buddy, it's about maintaining traction and keeping the power going to the road rather than spinning up a wheel and your open diff just sending it all to the gravel. In the corners, it makes the Type R (and I suspect your Alfa) less likely to understeer when you're giving it 9/10ths. Obviously the laws of physics and the limits of your tyre adhesion still apply, but it's one more tool to arm your car with to increase its capability.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I don't really drive hard enough around corners to exploit it but the LSD is meant to make cornering a revelation compared to an open diff...

Have even had an LSD in a RWD car and I didn't notice much difference either :censored:

Guess an FN2 is a lighter and more focused car so it's probably easier to exploit, as much as I love the Alfa it's got a huge V6 lump sitting on the front axle. It's far more of a cruiser than something to scramble around corners in!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I took it out in the rain yesterday and it was more noticeable. There's a roundabout where I usually push a little wide in the rain, even when I don't really give it the beans. Now it sticks, and I can even feel the steering wheel pulling from side to side as it is trying to find traction.

·
Premium Member
2008 Civic Type R
937 Posts
The whole pushing on thing is mostly a placebo. You push on when you've overcome the available grip of the front wheels, whether they're driven or not. However, with an LSD you don't need to wait for the car to settle and even the load to the front wheels coming out of a corner before mashing the throttle. The same goes for traction in a straight line, particularly over undulating surfaces. You may notice torque steer when this happens, which is exaggerated when running higher offset wheels or spacers. Bloody fantastic choice for a first mod, nonetheless. It will keep repaying you as you progress through the ruination..., I mean, modification of your car ;)

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
The Quaife unit is meant to be able to perform traction miracles although again I'm not that good a driver to exploit it. I can tell you that even a full bore wheel spin start in a car with 200ft of low down torque barely spins the wheels in the wet whereas before the traction control light would go bananas until 3rd gear.

Magazines rave about FWD LSDs as they make high powered front drive cars handle supposedly whereas there used to be the assumption that 200bhp was the upper limits prior. My own driving experience is I can barely tell, even with FWD Vs RWD cars. 90% of the time I can never tell the difference.

·
Registered
2013 MK9 pre facelift 1.8 TI. Eibach springs and spacers. Michelin PS4’s. Always run on VPower fuel
379 Posts
The Quaife unit is meant to be able to perform traction miracles although again I'm not that good a driver to exploit it. I can tell you that even a full bore wheel spin start in a car with 200ft of low down torque barely spins the wheels in the wet whereas before the traction control light would go bananas until 3rd gear.

Magazines rave about FWD LSDs as they make high powered front drive cars handle supposedly whereas there used to be the assumption that 200bhp was the upper limits prior. My own driving experience is I can barely tell, even with FWD Vs RWD cars. 90% of the time I can never tell the difference.
I spoke t a mechanic I trust who runs a garage where they build track cars as well as every day servicing and repairs and he said unless you are driving 10/10 on a track, lsd is pretty much a waste of money for a road car. As others have said you “think” it’s better because you have it on the car and are looking for improvements, but in reality they are negligible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts