2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
i-Vtec
5,152 Posts
Ive seen the video's, read the reasoning, but I will always put the "grippiest" tyres on the front of a FWD car because all the traction, braking and steering goes through the front. Imagine for a moment you just put two new tyres on your car and the reasoning says new tyres on the back. So ive now got 3mm on the front and 8mm on the back. Wet braking will suffer, Aquaplaning is now a huge issue. Some say understeer is the safest option, but for who? Id rather oversteer backwards through a hedge than slide head first into a tree. In a FWD car oversteer is far more controllable as you still have full use of the throttle, brakes and steering, where as understeer basically only leaves you with the brakes to play with, or at best lift off the throttle(which can then invoke oversteer). I see no reason to put the new tyres on the back. There is a reason that high mileage is attainable from tyres on the back of a FWD car, they do very little.

·
i-Vtec
5,152 Posts
But with ABS how would the back lock up? And again with 3mm on the front the braking distances are lengthened straight away. Sorry its the new tyres on the front for me everytime.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts