2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I would be very reluctant to mix 2 different types of tyres on the same car. Winter tyres offer significantly more grip than all season, thus you will be seriously unbalancing the car in harsh conditions.

Also, I take it you are aware that you cannot run winter tyres in summer because they overheat, so as soon as the whether warms up in April, you'll have to buy 2 new tyres for the front. For this reason the usual set up is to buy 4 extra wheels with winter tyres and change all 4 wheels over for winter and then back again in the spring. If you can't afford to do this, as many including myself can't, then you can't run winter tyres. You can pay to have them changed on the rims, but then you risk damage to the tyres from the repeated removal process and even that's not going to be so cheap when at least twice a year.

My advice would be if you're only getting two tyres, buy 2 more all season. 7mm on the back is practicality new, so it makes sense to fit the same as the rear again as they'll probably wear out at the same time as fronts wear faster, although brand should be less of an issue if all season. If you can afford 4, go winter but bear in mind that the tyres will have to be swapped for summer be it on the same rims or more preferably on spares.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
It's always a compromise. Look at tyre tests.

All season tyres do not perform as well in braking tests in the dry as regular summer tyres. Equally summer tyres do not perform as well in braking tests on snow and ice or for grip in slippery conditions. All Season tyres are a compromise between winter and summer. They're not as good as either in respect of their application, but sit in the middle, ie better than summer tyres in winter, and better than winter tyres in summer, but not as good as dedicated winter or summer tyres.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts