2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So was off on a little holiday in the New Forest this weekend. Take the Civic down (06 1.8) in the scorching hot weather. Driving around all weekend and then going around a round-a-bout a warning light comes on my dash.

Oh dear* I think! (*May have been edited for politeness!)

So pull over straight away as it shows an oil can. Having owned an Alfa before I know this can be bad! Check the dip stick. Dry. Oh dear I think again. So thinking I've totally run out of oil I spot a petrol station literally 50 m a way. Cash back I think so take the car there and proceed to buy 2L of 10w40.

Put in a litre. No show on the dip stick still. Put in another litre. Success I now have oil. However I can't work out the dip stick, now this might sound stupid but on my dipstick all there is a tiny little hashed area and then a big blob higher up. Thinking the big blob represents full or something I'm happy, I'm nowhere near that but above the hashed area so I take it home the next day.

Upon getting home I check this forum (Honda manual was useless) and shows that the hashed area is the min and max area and I'm about 1-2cm above this.

Oh dear again.

So I'm not driving it now until I get a chance to drain the excess oil out.

Question: Have I done any harm to my engine? What's the worst case? I'm a bit worried.

(Sorry for length!)

Edit: Just to add it was an oil can with the wavy lines and not just the oil can by itself. I learnt the difference once I got home, wavy lines = low oil, no wavy lines = low oil pressure and you're about to die.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Dont mention this to your dealer, try to drain the excess oils by yourself. If you tell your dealer about it, you will void your entire engine warranty.Offcourse you might have damaged the engine by driving with very low oil level and afterwards, with too high oil level.
Keep an eye on the car if it starts behaving differently when driving but be sure to get that excess oil out asap.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn! That's what I thought. So far it's been behaving normally, touch wood!

I hope it's ok. Just have to see how it goes after I remove the excess.

I feel like a numpty!

·
Premium Member
19,185 Posts
I was checking my oil, well trying to check my oil about a month a go and could work out the dipstick levels, so i took it to the dealer to let him check it so that i don't invalidate my warranty not having enough oil.

I was a little embarrassed but I thought "better safe than sorry"

I hope it's ok and you have no problems

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I was at home I would of checked on here before doing anything, but these things never happen at home!

It is a confusing dipstick, I'm glad I'm not the only one. :confused: I have checked oil on many other cars with out having this problem!

·
Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
22,065 Posts
2 things:

1) I agree that the dipstick is confusing. Whoever decided that a 'hashed/diamond shaped' area needs educating.

2) A colleauge once did this with a Granada and realised when loads of blue smoke started appearing from the exhaust. No damage done though, oil drained back and no more blue smoke.

As long as you haven't revved the ***** off it then you should be OK.

·
Registered
375 Posts
My oil can lamp was shown up when I drove to home on a day of past month. I scared and immediately stopped the car. After I "restart" it and the lamp was not shown up again I continued to go home . About 5 kilometres was remain. The next day I went to the dealer and he filled 1L into my car.
My warranty is still alive ... :D
The first oil change was on last week , without any problem.

I think these cars were made for foolproof a littlebit.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I really wouldn't worry about it. If you'd done any damage you would know about it by now. Too much oil is better than too little.

I would however, as suggested already, drain the excess.

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
My oil light came on today and when I looked it was nearly at the top of the dip stick mark, but the car is on a slightly sloping drive.

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
When you say big blob what excatly do you mean? My dip stick had a little diamond shape where the max level was. Also if the light came on and it was below the minimum you'd need a good 3 to 4 litres to be at the max again

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
I read somewhere (on here) that the difference between the min and max levels was 1 litre

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The oil level is now definetly way over the max area on the dipstick after putting in 2 litres once the oil level low light came on. I wonder when the lower level light comes on? There wasn't any oil on the dipstick and was under the min.

I was really worried when I saw it at treated it as oil pressure light as that's what it looked like!

I'm going to drain the extra oil tonight, so I'll see how much I overfilled it then and post back the results!

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
I read somewhere (on here) that the difference between the min and max levels was 1 litre
When it happened to another forum members type R and they checked and realised that it was way below the minimum it took 3 liters to get it back to maximum.

However good luck with the drainage, i'm sure it won't be much really

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
As a general rule of thumb, it's a litre from Max to Min level (practically it's closer to 3/4L). If you added a litre and had 'no show' then you'll only be slightly over.
Remember it takes time for the oil to run into the sump, so if you dipped without waiting a minute you won't get a true reading (on a level surface).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, so I've removed the excess oil this morning.

I've had to remove 1L to get the level back to the top of the max.

I have a feeling that's quite a lot, I really hope it hasn't done any damage as I did drive 100 miles like that.

:(

·
Registered
43 Posts
just remember that you can comprees a gas but not a liquid, remove the excess asap as the car will be runing with too much oil pressure

·
Registered
212 Posts
Had my 07 CTR for just over a month, dealer gave it it's 2nd service before I collected. Checked the oil level on Saturday and I'm about half an inch above maximum! Got it booked in tomorrow for them to drain.

What should I do about this? I've done over a thousand miles with the oil level this high.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts