2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Been on this forum now for a while and i thought i would share my joys and pains with my honda civic.
Honda's have been in my family for quite some time. My dad owned a Honda Prelude and also an Accord, both models were pre 1990 so dont really have much to do with the newer models, but still they were rock solid cars. The old accord had a few 'issues' at the end of its live but all in all it was a good car. Cant really comment on the prelude as i was still *******g my pants at that time :D.
After i turned 16 i had the luck of getting my granddad's 20+ year old honda camino ( a red one,lol) and i absolutely loved that baby, for more then five years i drove on it and it took my everywere. Ride comfort was a 100%, reliabilty was a bit less impressive but that could have been down to me just driving that everywhere, even were there was no road :p
Now back to the present...
Septembre 2007 and after my first year of work i wanted my own car, i had my mind set up on buying a small, second hand car. I looked everywhere to find something i liked but couldnt find what i needed so i decided to see if my honda dealer had some offers. Thats when i first saw my car standing in the showroom, boy it was love at first sight, those lines, that color, the alloys...
But i needed a second hand one and the dealer had nothing so off i went...
Octobre 2007 and i was still without a vehicle and after a lot of thinking, i decided to go for a Type-S. Back to the dealer and i was lucky, the car that was in the showroom was now the testcar with only 2160 km on the clock. I took two testdrives in it and just after getting in the car i had made up my mind.
I just looked and sat so brilliant, during driving i was very much checking out everything as i hate rattles in a car but it had NONE whatsoever. It was my dreamcar and for 19100 euro it was mine with free honda floormats and a gps system. Two weeks later all the papers were in order and i could pick up the car.
November 2007, the car was mine, i felt like a little boy again and for the next month the car was a dream. Every excuse was good enough to take the car and it had no problems at all.
December 2007, on a morning i start the car and i get an error concerning my airbags, OUCH, i didnt like it. The car had also developped an annoying creak in the rear shocks and the front bumper was out of alignment on the left. I contacted my dealer and the car was booked in. Apparantly the error was a faulty crash impact sensor, the shocks needed some extra grease and the front support beam of the bumper needed replacement. Everyting was done under warranty and it was all good again for about three weeks. Then the creaking shocks at the back started coming back and rattles were starting to pop up everywhere and the bumper was again out of alignment, i was not a happy at all :(.
After a lot of hassle , the car was booked in again and it was all fixed again, except for the trillion rattles which were driving me mad at some point :mad:
All these things however were nothing compared to the next fault that occured, my gearbox started to have a live of its own. Poping out of gear, not able to select second gear, i was seriously pissed off and again the car was booked in, they checked the gearbox and said they made some minor adjustments but it was no use, the problem was still there and even after another visit to the dealer it is still there. Untill today i still experience issues with the gearbox but i have to be honest that it is a lot less that in the beginning, maybe running in??
I also had the handrake recall, new shocks in the front and new subframe at the front, that was obliged by honda but i NEVER had a problem with that but my dealer still decided on changing it.

Now these are just the bad points and issues i had with the car, but it DOES have good points.

1. The seating position and comfort, i find this very important in a car and the civic is spot on with the adjustable steering, seat and just overall positioing of both, VERY good

2. The dashboard, i just LOVE it, a digital speedometer is just so much more convenient, the large rev counter just looks the bomb :) The buttons i find are also very well placed. In the beginning i do needed some time to adjust but now i'm used to it and it rocks :police:

3. The engine, on my first test drive i had never driven a 140 BHP n/a petrol engine so i had to get used to it. In the lower rpm's it does lack a bit of torque and if you forget about you can get caught out on surprise and sometimes leaves you standing with just not enough power available. Now however, i am used to it and if you need the power, just stay in a lower gear. The engine is unbelievable smooth at high revs and above 4000 rpm, its a rocket, no denying in that :cool: Fuel consumption is somewhat higher than i expected, motorway its around 7L/100 km and in town its 9L/100 km, In my 14 months i averaged 8,8 L /100 km, not that impressive but a part of that surely is to blaim on my right foot.
Oil consumption is pretty good, i check once a month and have only needed to fill up with 200 mL, after the one year service the oil has also been replaced.

4. The space available, JEEEEEZ this car has sooooo much space, a lot of passenger have commented on the rear seats to be very comfortable and a lot of leg room available. Front passengers however have said that because of the dash layout getting in the car is a bit of a hassle, especially for long legged people, they always hit their knees at the edgy point sticking out, luckily i am never a passenger in my own car :D. The boot is also very impressive, with the seats folded down it can EASILY accomodate two mountainbikes, a tent, luggage for two and supplies for a few days and then there is still loads of space left.

5. The looks, you love it or you hate it, i def LOVE it, nothing more to add :p

To conclude, after the initial problems and hassle, i was a bit unhappy with the car but now i'm loving my spaceship again. Most of the rattles are gone except for two and for two months now, the car has had no problems (i'll probably regret saying this, hehe). Guess i'll shut up for now :D

grtz and i hope the reviews is usefull

·
Registered
43 Posts
Rattles gone? did u do anything with them? or simply they have disappeared...

Nice review by the way

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Thanks, Good review!
I had a few rattles the first year, but they were all fixed, two by the dealer and the last by this forum. Don't your delaer fix rattles? (Or maybe better to keep the car away from them as everything semms to bed in now :)).
My gear box also was a bit tight into 3rd in the beginning, but that also was OK after some weeks.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Good review!
I had a few rattles the first year, but they were all fixed, two by the dealer and the last by this forum. Don't your delaer fix rattles? (Or maybe better to keep the car away from them as everything semms to bed in now :)).
I did mention it at my first service and they did fix some rattles but they just came back. Not too worried however as they are just rattles.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
A bit off topic, but wth:
My main concern about the car is the reports from people experiencing deterioration of the suspension.
As it is now, I find it a fair trade off for the huge space, but any deterioration is not welcome.

Anyone knows present status: Any fixes, which models are affected, and finally when could I eventually expect more crashy suspension?
My car is nearly two years old and has covered 37000 km / 23000 mi and I'm still in love!

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Weird experience

A few kilometers later :)
Just passed the 24100 km and when cruising home tonight, i press on the clutch pedal and i can hear and feel what seemed to be bits flying off the clutch pedal.
I have no idea where they came from or what they are, as it was dark and i'm tired, i have only found one piece yet.
First trip to the dealer in 5 months!!!
Lets hope they find what it is.... :rolleyes: (and i dont have to pay for it as its only 1,5 years old)
Update soon :)

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Small update concerning fluid levels

20 months and 26700 km later my car has used so far 1 tank of washer fluid, one liter of engine oil (oil was also replaced at its first service) and the engine coolant level is almost sitting at the minimum marker so i'll be topping up with honda hi-performance engine coolant tonight.
Gearbox and clutch fluid are still very much ok!

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just to correct, there was nothing wrong with the engine coolant level, the way honda put the min/max reservoir made it a bit difficult for me to see as after a second look the level was still spot on in the middle between min/max like the manual states!
Car is also becoming very economical, i now get sub 6 L / 100 km with some very carefull, smart and anticipating driving around the great city of leuven!

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Just to add my "twopence-worth" ...

My 1.8 is completely free of 'rattles' etc. ...

The comment about "over 4000 revs" is absolutely spot-on !!! ...

Yesterday, I had the suspension upgraded by [ ABP Motorsport ] in Crewe ...

The combination of the vastly improved handling and my "speed-camera-proof" Norwegian registration number, meant that I was able to use 'MAX Power' for a few hundred KM on the UK motorways ...

Luvvly-jubbly ! ... it's like having a brand new car !!! ...

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: 24 months // 31000 km // Two Year Service

I've decided to keep updating this thread so interested people and future buyers have a bit more info from 'the real life'.

My car went in today for its second year service @ 31000 km. Marginally less mileage (14000 km) then in its first year (15000 km).
I've also switched from dealer as my original garage stopped.
Making an appointment (and explainig i had a few issues with the car) went very relaxed and the garage were more then willing to get them fixed.
I just collected the car and my good, what a difference.
They serviced the car without finding any other problem and cost was only 265 eur, checking in the wiki page, a fair prize.
Now the problems i asked them to deal with.
This might be interesting for people on the forum with similar issues.

1. My front bumper has always been out of alignment since i collected my car after purchase. My previous garage has consequently failed to fix this problem. Current garage has located that one of the clips on the side of the bumper was broken and also that my car has some damage on the front under the car probably caused by bottoming out the car. Since the bumper was like this when i got the car (its an ex demo) i suspect the damage to be sustained in its demo period.
The did replace the clip and the bumper looks a bit ok but still not aligned perfect. Fixing the damage under the car is not covered under warranty and it will cost me at minimum 100eur to get it fixed but i'm going to contact honda belgium and see what they come up with. I'm already pleased my bumper isnt sticking out anymore like a bad bodykit :D

2. Left mirror had developped an immense noise when folding in and out. Folding mechanism will be replaced under warranty.

3. A piece of plastic on the right rear in the trunk had broken off. Dealer said this is because the car was badly fixed after someone crashed into my right side, they replaced the part without cost and it looks ok now.

4. When going over certain bumps, knocks could be heared from the suspension, dealer has tightened all the bolts on the suspension and greased dampers etc and it seems to have made an immense difference when driving home over a very very very bad road.

5. My EBC discs and pads are now on the car for 7000 km and the initial ticking issue with them is still there. It was checked again and everything is ok with the brakes and the mechanic said its only because of the layout of the grooved disc that it makes this noise. As i've neve rhad a problem with them, i can live with this.

6. Last issue was the biggest one, my second gear can sometimes be a nightmare. It doesnt go in smoothly or just doesnt at all and it has even popped out of second gear sometimes :confused:. The dealer thinks it is a problem with my clutch pedal and the entire mechanism leading to the actual clutch so all this will be replaced under warranty and i really hope this fixes the problem. All the above ones, i can live with but this one had been dangerous more then once so i'll keep my fingers crossed.

I hope this update can be of use for anyone and if not, i'll just keep posting, haha.

grtz and a new update in 12 months, unless something should come up earlier but it seems my car has started to show the honda reliability in the last 8 months, w00t.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
6. Last issue was the biggest one, my second gear can sometimes be a nightmare. It doesnt go in smoothly or just doesnt at all and it has even popped out of second gear sometimes :confused:. The dealer thinks it is a problem with my clutch pedal and the entire mechanism leading to the actual clutch so all this will be replaced under warranty and i really hope this fixes the problem. All the above ones, i can live with but this one had been dangerous more then once so i'll keep my fingers crossed.
About a year ago I had a similar, but less severe, problem with 3rd gear, but the problem just faded away...

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
3 year service

Hi,

Today the car went in for its three year service. During this year the car has only been to honda for one fix (which needed two visits). It was a problem with the front shocks. Some rubber piece was totally worn causing weird tapping noises when turning the wheels. They first thought it was the subframe problem (so i also got that "fix" ;)).
The car has now done 40300 km (only 9000 km this year, allthough it has been serviced earlier then normal)
During the service they found out that my front ebc turbo grooved discs are slightly warped causing a judder under braking. I'm now thinking wether to go for another brand of aftermarket discs or just swap with my originals which i stall have, and apart from rusty outsides in good condition.
They did the usual things and three year means new brake fluid and checking valve clearences. I do find this has had quite an effect. Braking pedal feels a lot less spongy. Acceleration seems improved, as has the engine note changed, its much less raw then before. Probably also something to do with the new airfilter.
I also asked for a fix of my bumper, a well known problem i think with the civic. It looks better now but again not a 100%
Cost was 314 EURO which includes two new windscreenwipers for 55 EURO, i'm NOT using them anymore as de-icers :facepalm:

After three years my original review still reflects my feelings toward this car pretty good. The car still is extremely practical and sporty(ish) and looks DAMN GOOD but the whole experience is a bit let down by (too much) small niggles, the nodgy second gear being my biggest irritation, its better then what it was but still...
I guess the total service costs i invested in the car up to this point are still very good. Apart from the service i only paid for a wheel geometry check. All the rest has been done under warranty.

I'm off for another year of civic type S experience!!
see u all next year! ;)

EDIT: i also suffered from this problem http://www.civinfo.com/forum/bugs-faults-irritations/41702-paint-peeling-my-red-type-s-warranty.html
i mentioned it and they fixed it under warranty.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts