2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much does annual mileage affect your insurance quote and at what levels does it change?

I average around 8000 miles a year as I use my cars as dailies, and I'm wondering. When I start with engines mods etc, whether a second daily run around thus lowering the annual mileage on the FN2 would be more cost effective?

Cheers
Dave

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, increased risk = £'s
Not sure where the boundaries are that affect cost though.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
It's an "estimate", so doesn't have to be accurate.

I'd assume estimate is within 20%... so if you estimate 20,000 miles, you need to be somewhere between 16k and 24k to be an ESTIMATE of 20k...

It's not a mileage LIMIT..... after all.

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,279 Posts
Depends on the insurer, some are higher premiums for low mileage (as you don't drive and get a lot of experience), some bump it up over 15k etc

If you do the average of 8-12k then the price difference shouldn't be much, I'm with Brentacre and they started off being strict with the mileage but when I underestimated and rang to increase it by 5k there was no premium.

Reactions: Bones126

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, will try some online quotes with changing the mileage. Needs to be honest though as like already said the MOT will show actual mileage.
I’m just wondering to have the FN2 as a second car and have a run around for work to keep mileage and insurance down on it. But having said that I’ll be paying extra anyway for the other car lol :-/

Must talk out loud more lol

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,319 Posts
I'm £267.68 per year with Quote Me Happy after a Comparethemarket.com search. My previous Insurer Tesco changed my annual premium from £310 to £756? and I hadn't made a claim so I shopped about and got £267.68 instead, a Meerkat and 2 for 1 Cinema tickets. I was up front and told thm I do 25K Miles per year so I'm happy with £267.68.

An insurer will take your money if you lie about your mileage but hell mend you if you make a claim and you're estimating 8k per year and you're tripling that. Anyone can do a quick online search for a cars MOT History that includes annual mileage.

Reactions: Bones126

·
Super Moderator
21,043 Posts
Friend of mine is a broker and he says don't estimate below 4k miles as the opposite comes into play where they reckon you go stale I suppose.

I only do about 1k a year now but I declare 4k

·
Registered
437 Posts
I increased mine from 8k miles to 12k miles due to work miles etc and the premium went down by £50 a year , it’s such pot luck I’m sure they just charge what they want , Had a renewal come through double the price , so I changed insurance company. Rang the old insurance company to tell them not to auto renew and they said “we will match your quote “ nah I don’t think so cheeky gits bye bye , I think they prey on older people that might not shop around and just let it roll every year .

·
Registered
581 Posts
I increased mine from 8k miles to 12k miles due to work miles etc and the premium went down by £50 a year , it’s such pot luck I’m sure they just charge what they want , Had a renewal come through double the price , so I changed insurance company. Rang the old insurance company to tell them not to auto renew and they said “we will match your quote “ nah I don’t think so cheeky gits bye bye , I think they prey on older people that might not shop around and just let it roll every year .
Yes they are all the same and do that. Auto renewal should be illegal.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

·
4,371 Posts
No, auto renew should not be illegal. I'm sure it keeps uninsured drivers off the road.
They send you a reminder that they are going to auto renew which you can act on by either ignoring it and letting it auto renew and at least you are insured without any effort by yourself. Or you can look around for a better deal and then contact your current insurers to price match. If they won't, then just cancel the policy and the auto renew and go with the cheaper company.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I took out a modified policythis year with Adrian flux. There quite picky about mileage and told me they can check it and I got a form to fill in and sign with my current mileage on. I asked how mileage affected my policy and the woman said if I wanted to put my mileage up it was £10 extra a year for every 1000 miles I put down.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
581 Posts
No, auto renew should not be illegal. I'm sure it keeps uninsured drivers off the road.
They send you a reminder that they are going to auto renew which you can act on by either ignoring it and letting it auto renew and at least you are insured without any effort by yourself. Or you can look around for a better deal and then contact your current insurers to price match. If they won't, then just cancel the policy and the auto renew and go with the cheaper company.
Nothing wrong with what you say. Just companies relying on people thinking they are getting the best deal with auto renewal quote. E.g old peeps who don't know how to compare. Every renewal quote has been almost £200+ with me which says there needs to be some tight controls ovee this system

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Reactions: musegroove

·
4,371 Posts
As I said before, it's no auto renewal per se that's wrong, it's the fact that auto renewal never seems to give the customer the best price that the company will give if you ask them.
That's what aught to be sorted out, by legislation if necessary.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,319 Posts
As I said before, it's no auto renewal per se that's wrong, it's the fact that auto renewal never seems to give the customer the best price that the company will give if you ask them.
That's what aught to be sorted out, by legislation if necessary.
If anyone ignores their renewal notification and the gets bumped, they can only blame themselves. Set up reminders for when your different insurances are due and shop about before you get the notification in.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts