2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I'm looking to buy a Mini USB extension cable. USB mini male to USB mini female and 3 meters long.

Thought I'd find one quickly on tinterweb, but been searching for the last hour and can't seem to find one. ...anyone know where I can pick one up? :D

·
Administrator
21,165 Posts
Interesting, I haven't found any yet either.

Wonder if there is a technical reason?

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
That's not entirely true, at 3m you are probably OK as it's not THAT long.

But for instance, at work we have a plotter that is USB only not network ready or anything. We were using a lead about 6m long and having all sorts of issues sometimes with it just stopping mid-print.

After a lot of dicking about trying different cables etc we came across a thread somewhere and there is actually a length too long for certain types of USB communication because of low voltage and current.

Not relevant particularly just thought i would share some useless information!

Back to your original question. What do you actually need? Mini, Micro or Normal seeing as the links above have a mixture of all of them!

Left to Right Micro, Mini, Normal

There are loads of options, there will be a combination that will get you where you need to be!

·
Premium Member
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info, the connection I need to make is from male mini to female mini.

Could I make the length up by using a female mini to male usb 2 cable, then use a female usb 2 to male mini?

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
I'd just 'contact' the sellers I mentioned and ask them if they can make you one, and how much.
Its in their interest to grab a sale.
Most of these are 'home made' and not palmed off after opening a container full.

Al.

·
Administrator
21,165 Posts
I've also known of line length issues where a line driver was needed. I'm still suspicious that if no one makes them there is a reason.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Thanks for the info, the connection I need to make is from male mini to female mini.

Could I make the length up by using a female mini to male usb 2 cable, then use a female usb 2 to male mini?
No reason why not (so long as the length isn't too long :rolleyes:)

Can only give it a go, they're all cheap!

·
Premium Member
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We actually had problems with both ADSL and ethernet cables over a 50 meter run, connection was sooooooo slow and kept breaking up, was quicker to use Royal Mail than email.

Picked up two 1.5 meter mini to usb 2 cables from a local electronics shop...all working fine now!:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts