2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:rant:

I need help from all you smart civic owners out there, handily enough you are all situated on one forum!!!!

Couple weeks ago when it was snowing my civic wouldnt get up a hill. Stupidly i heard that starting in a higher gear may help so I stuck it in 4th and revved HARD!

Unable to make it up the hill and my car smelling like clutch I parked up only to have a blind woman crash into me shortly after (oooouch my neck [smilie=crying.gif]).

Couple of days later the Engine Management Light came on (you know the orange one with an exclamation mark in the middle). I read in the manual that this could be down to the emissions however the car still drives perfectly except fuel economy is not the same. Along with the light there is a smell of burning clutch after short runs but not as bad as it was before.

What I want to know is if the engine management light is caused by me murdering the clutch or from the shunt I received??

I am praying I havnt damaged my clutch as I know this is a long and expensive saga....

Any help would be appreciated.... im not a total newb been doing some research on this forum but have not found an answer yet :( :confused:

By da way my car is a 2006(56) NHB 1.8 with 55K on the clock if that helps

thanks in advance....
Darren

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
TBH would be surprised if the light is as a result of the shunt.. where she hit? how fast? how much damage? Is more likely to be revving the ass of it in fourth. 2nd or MAYBE 3rd is as high as you want to go. There should be a code with it whiuch the dealer can check.... if it took a couple of days to show up and the smell I am fairly sure thats it revving that caused it....... good luck

Reactions: theblackdeamon

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
TBH would be surprised if the light is as a result of the shunt.. where she hit? how fast? how much damage? Is more likely to be revving the ass of it in fourth. 2nd or MAYBE 3rd is as high as you want to go. There should be a code with it whiuch the dealer can check.... if it took a couple of days to show up and the smell I am fairly sure thats it revving that caused it....... good luck
It could be related to the crash depending on the speed and damage.

I'm probably about to get corrected by an experienced member here; but I highly doubt the engine management light came on because of revving the clutch. I'd like to think they can take a little more than that.

It could be neither. But my guess is it's related to the crash.

Reactions: theblackdeamon

·
Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The woman hit me in the back but to be fair it wasnt the hardest of hits.... sounded worse then it actually was. Apparently she was trying to park on the snowy hill but skidded and hit me so she was not going too fast

I was thinking that too jpetrie, how flimsy is the clutch for me to do that much damage....
any other opinons i want to know if its safe to drive?

·
Dervinator
1,349 Posts
I think you'll find that's just coincidence.

Revving the hell out of it might have sucked up some crap and that could be causing the warning light.

Your clutch will stink for a while so lets do a test... does the clutch operate normally still?

Do the revs rise disproportionally to road speed ?

I suspect your clutch is still ok but you have shortened its life by about 15K miles

Take it to a Honda garage and get the error checked out (as mentioned above). It'll probably cost you a diagnostics fee but.. hey ho.. peace of mind !!

·
Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you'll find that's just coincidence.

Revving the hell out of it might have sucked up some crap and that could be causing the warning light.

Your clutch will stink for a while so lets do a test... does the clutch operate normally still?

Do the revs rise disproportionally to road speed ?

I suspect your clutch is still ok but you have shortened its life by about 15K miles

Take it to a Honda garage and get the error checked out (as mentioned above). It'll probably cost you a diagnostics fee but.. hey ho.. peace of mind !!
Thanks Outcast

yea the clutch seems to be working fine and it still stinks a bit but luckily insurance have managed to sort out repairs

they wanted to take it too a toyota dealership again but im not making that mistake again.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.