2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm in the process of repairing my mirror SOD on both sides, I've bought the polyfuses and stripped both mirrors down. One of them has been easy, looking just as I expected it to, the little yellow polyfuse sticking up and with a fair size split in it. Old one out, new one in position and hey presto, mirrors that fold in once again.
However the other side is completely different, with no polyfuse sticking out, I'm wondering if this side has already been repaired once (it also has a date code of 2014, 7 years newer than the car) and the new type is different. None the less it doesn't work, so where the hell have the hidden the polyfuse. No pic as I'm not yet allowed :crying:
Advice please before I dig just that little bit too far.
TIA

Keith

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've dug in a little bit but nothing has become apparent, I'm just worried about digging in too far and fu.... breaking it completely

·
i-Vtec
2,783 Posts
Yea I dug down too far and buggered mine totally, 50p repair turned into £42 for the dealer.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had the same problem and used very gently and careful a Dremel. I fixed the new polyfuse and made a mold from cardboard and filled it up with MS Polymere. It still works flawless after 6 years. :smile3:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Luckily in work we have a chamber set at 80°C permanently, we use it to soften the potting on electronics for exactly this reason, HOWEVER, when you can't find the sodding polyfuse what do you do :surprise:
I'd post a pic but I'm not yet allowed to :frown2:

·
Registered
84 Posts
WHen replacing the Polyfuse, does it need soldered back in?

Also, what is the best way to remove the mirror cap?

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
the poly fuse is just under all the filler material you will have to dig it out

·
more torque than the mrs
6,750 Posts
Hi All,

I'm in the process of repairing my mirror SOD on both sides, I've bought the polyfuses and stripped both mirrors down. One of them has been easy, looking just as I expected it to, the little yellow polyfuse sticking up and with a fair size split in it. Old one out, new one in position and hey presto, mirrors that fold in once again.
However the other side is completely different, with no polyfuse sticking out, I'm wondering if this side has already been repaired once (it also has a date code of 2014, 7 years newer than the car) and the new type is different. None the less it doesn't work, so where the hell have the hidden the polyfuse. No pic as I'm not yet allowed :crying:
Advice please before I dig just that little bit too far.
TIA

Keith
that's the newer type sod Honda sell them that way now , just be careful when you dig the resin out, going down too far you will hit the coil underneath..been there done that lol, my mate used to work at honda and he used to get me all the knackered one's for me to repair and sell on ,I found the best way to repair the buried type was to cut around the front plastic with a sharp Stanley knife like the first pic and carefully prise the front off exposing the resin made it easier to dig out then glue it back on once
finished, pic from the how to section stripped down and a pic of my spare one ready for when mine goes again..

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that's the newer type sod Honda sell them that way now , just be careful when you dig the resin out, going down too far you will hit the coil underneath..been there done that lol, my mate used to work at honda and he used to get me all the knackered one's for me to repair and sell on ,I found the best way to repair the buried type was to cut around the front plastic with a sharp Stanley knife like the first pic and carefully prise the front off exposing the resin made it easier to dig out then glue it back on once
finished, pic from the how to section stripped down and a pic of my spare one ready for when mine goes again..
Again ???? What do you mean when it goes again :crying::crying::surprise::frown2:

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Can anyone tell me where I source the resistor I need to repair my SOD's? Mine have just started to be a bit hit and miss. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Update

So, I dug and dug and dug and unearthed no polyfuse, well not what I was expecting anyway, I did reveal a Panasonic Varistor which via Mr Google indicated its pretty much one and the same thing.
As a result I have soldered my new polyfuse to it and fingers crossed that may work.
I have loaded pics into a gallery;
https://www.civinfo.com/forum/members/keithriley-albums-+sod+++sod.html

·
more torque than the mrs
6,750 Posts
So, I dug and dug and dug and unearthed no polyfuse, well not what I was expecting anyway, I did reveal a Panasonic Varistor which via Mr Google indicated its pretty much one and the same thing.
As a result I have solder my new polyfuse to it and fingers crossed that may work.
I have loaded pics into a gallery;
https://www.civinfo.com/forum/members/keithriley-albums-+sod+++sod.html
wow looks nothing like the one's I've fixed hope it works for you... any chance of all the readings off the Panasonic varistor. cheers

1 - 20 of 23 Posts