1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The description:

Connect and ride.

Smartphones have given consumers access to a growing number of indispensable applications anytime and anywhere. But when it comes to driving, smartphone use is ill-advised. And even the most advanced infotainment systems cannot match the breadth of functionality in even the most ordinary smartphones.

MirrorLink (previously known as Terminal Mode) solves this problem by offering seamless connectivity between a smartphone and the car infotainment system. Drivers just connect the phone with a cable and immediately gain access to phone applications via the car’s navigation screen and dashboard/steering-wheel buttons.

In other words, by allowing consumers to access their smartphone in the same way they access their car radio and other controls, MirrorLink lets drivers keep their eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.

MirrorLink is based on a set of well established, non-proprietary technologies. It uses standard Internet technologies (such as Internet Protocol) for compatibility with a wide range of devices. It also uses technologies already common in the car, such as Bluetooth™ and USB, and newly-introduced car technologies such as Wi-Fi as well. Universal Plug and Play (UPnP™) facilitates controlled access to applications. Virtual Network Computing (VNC™) replicates the phone's display on the navigation screen and communicates user prompts back to the phone. In addition to Bluetooth™, MirrorLink streams audio with Real-Time Protocol (RTP).

The CCC offers standardized MirrorLink certification so that only approved applications are accessible while driving.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From the posts here I think it needs to 'come of age' and no doubt over the next months and years it will improve.

I'm an experienced Garmin user and I've even written my own .net applicarion to control the onbiard safety cameras better than Garmin default. I'm quute dissappointed with the basic way this has been implemented and locked down.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Tried to get this working on my loan car but no joy, had it connected via usb....Xperia Z1 compact
Sony Xperia Z1 is not mirror link 1.1 compatible, it's 1.0

I tested a Xperia Z3 and that worked ok for basic functions, but didn't have any drive compliant apps to check while driving.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
I have managed to get mirror link working with my iPhone 7 Plus.

You need to have one of those lightning digital AV connectors that cost £50, a lightning cable and an HDMI lead connected to the phone.

This opens up a new screen on the head unit (swiping left) however it then takes you to the App Store on your phone in order to install some new apps...

From what I saw yesterday there are tons of navigation apps and some other apps (didn't play with it too much though)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I emailed Honda as the Mirrorlink wouldn't work with my Samsung Galaxy S5. Here's their response:

"The MirrorLink option is available only for mobile phones with Android software - Jellybean 4.0.4.

The models compatible with Mirrorlink are Samsung S4 mini, Note and Note Edge."

So my 2016 car will only work with a 2013 phone.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Not sure, but Android Auto doesn't work with the Connect either. Maybe it would if you had a 2013 S4 Mini though ;-)

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I responded to Honda that I thought a 2016 car would be compatible with phones later than 2013 and they responded:

"We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

We are expecting a software update in the begining of 2017 and our dealers would be happy to let you know when that would be available.

Please keep in touch with your closest Honda dealership."

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:roll:

How many owners of 2016 £20k cars still have 2013 Smartphones running Android ICS?

This Honda Connect unit just wasn't ready for the market.

They should have tested the Connect unit properly and saved it for the 10G and left the rock solid Alpine unit in the 9G.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
What would my 2007 Civic EX have had? Would that have been Alpine as that was pretty flawed also. Maybe I missed the good one in the middle.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 2013 EX has the touchscreen premium audio unit with boot mounted sub woofer as standard. It also uses a HDD instead of a DVD. They were only in the 2013 and 2014 models.

I can't fault it for reliability, it just does the job.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If Honda can get android auto and mirrorlink working with the 9G facelift would be great. I have seen android auto in the new astra and its a fantastic system. Honda need to catch up quick.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you know what version of Android Opel/Vauxhall are using?

Honda are way back with ICS, Android v 4.0.4, which may be the issue.

We had a post recently that indicated that phones also using ICS were more likely to be compatible.

My phone is in line for Android Nougat v7 soon so will be 5 named versions ahead !

However, all three of my phones (HTC Wildfire, One m7 and m9) since early 2013 have paired and worked perfectly with the Honda Alpine unit.

·
Registered
876 Posts
As per on the 10G thread Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are coming to 10G next year, but don't forget that just means you can use the apps that apple and Google allow. Also both are not available in all European countries.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's middle of 2018 and still no update! My car has been abandoned by Honda! :/ It might be the last car of this make for me :/

·
Registered
177 Posts
Isn't mirrorlink being replace with Android Auto / Apple Carplay?
Hi there

Recently contacted Honda UK to ask if Android Auto was going to be incorporated into the Connect Infotainment in the vehicles running Android 4.0.4 or whether an upgrade to Android 4.2.2 was on the cards.

Below is the reply which to me reads that Honda seem to have abandoned the 4.0.4 version and it will only get updates to try to keep it working (suppose it is something to be thankful for). Very disappointing to say the least but not unexpected, but why are they are trying to 'lock it down' with the latest updates? At least they could let those who want to add apps do so. I find Waze and Sygic both work well, much better than the Garmin. At least they haven't routed me through a five barred gate into a field!

Interestingly as well, if the reply is correct, then RC9 should be about soon. Wonder what delights it will bring? Maybe mirrorlink will work!

Thank you for contacting Honda UK.
At this time Honda have no plans to incorporate the Android Auto feature in to older vehicle year models.
In order to obtain the latest update for you vehicle, we advise contacting your nearest Honda authorised dealership. Updates for the Honda Connect system are released around June each year.
If you come across any errors on the mapping system, you can use the following facility on Garmin's website to report this - https://my.garmin.com/mapErrors/report.faces.
Thank you for contacting Honda UK. If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards
Peter

1 - 20 of 28 Posts