2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lotus Type R here. Can anyone assist with a problem on the type R engine. Have connected it all up and starts fine. When I rev the engine it gets to 3000 rpm and the drops back to 2000 then back up again. Have been told its to do with the gearbox sensor seeing neutral and preventing the engine over revving. Have put the car in gear and spun up the wheels and the engine still only revs to 3K then drops down. Does anyone know if the gear sensor goes wrong or know any other "known" faults that would do this.
Have replaced the throttle sensor and Maf sensor, Cleaned throttle body etc..

Thanks[smilie=fixtit.gif]

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
Ring TDi North :)

·
Premium Member
6,706 Posts
It should still rev to around 4,500 - 5,000 rpm if it was the gearbox sensor. It is to prevent the engine hitting VTEC while stationary. It even does it in gear, not just neutral, so I don't know if it senses the gearbox turning something like the diff or if it based on a road speed sensor.

This was the same of both K20A2s and K20Z4s in my experience.

As said above, give TDi-North as call, very knowledgeable bunch there.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
same as loxy ^^ the engine revs to 4400 in neutral or in gear while stationary..

a video would be much better to see whats going on.. is the engine cutting power or is it poping and farting everyplace? how quick does it go from 3000rpm to 2000rpm and back up?

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its definitely cutting power not just misfiring or fartin around. If you keep your foot steady on the throttle at 2800 (using a digital rev counter) all is fine, but take it over 3000 and the revs drop to 2000 and back up to 3000 as if you were revving the engine on the pedal so I think its a control problem. I'll phone TDI and see if they have a solution. Cannot drive it anywhere at the mo as there is loads left to do before its track/road ready.

Thanks for all the replys. Appreciate your assistance.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
it sounds like its in limp mode.. which restricts revs. not sure as to what it restricts to but im sure it's around the 3k rpm area.. get diagnostics up and check fault codes.. my guess is a sensor is faulty. as to which one is anyones guess..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts